“Our experience of the Outrigger...”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very good, accommodating and a kid friendly resort that is well planned for a great family holiday.

The family pool is the centrepiece of this awesome resort with most things happening around it. There are lots of planned activities that are more inclusive than competitive.

Don't expect a beach as there is not one...however the coral shelf is magnificent, especially the guided walk activity.

The food and drink is very good but expensive. Expect a local beer to cost $5AU, imported $10AU, cocktail $15AU. A normal restaurant meal is about $30AU.

A short walk away is 'Kokos' which serves excellent cafe style food for about half the price.

Hiring a car is easy and we did it for $85AU a day from a guy at the corner store just out of the resort.

Expect lots of Australians and depending upon the travel specials expect a good number of tattooed beer guzzling Bogans.

A suggestion to the resort: having an adult pool separate to wedding reception area would be good. Everyday there was a wedding meaning no access to the adult pool from mid afternoon.

Overall very good, great staff and beautiful location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KJO74
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear KJ074

A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We are absolutely thrilled that we could provide you and your family with such a memorable holiday experience!
Whilst we do not get very many unruly guests, I do need to apologise for the small group from a particular wedding party that were little bit uncouth! This is a rare occurrence at Outrigger!
As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort are our staff. They love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
KJ074– All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji for your next visit!

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Write a ReviewReviews (3,210)

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

My wife any I honeymooned at the outrigger and had such an amazing time. The staff were all so friendly and helpful. The adults pool was nice and their restaurants were wonderful, but their crown jewel was by far IVI. It was the best dinner I have ever had! Even if you don't end up at the outrigger IVI is a must!!! Best restaurant in Fiji!!

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Brett W
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Brett W

Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed your honeymoon at our beautiful resort! As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the world. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our fine dine restaurant, Ivi! You can understand why this particular restaurant was voted “Best Fine Dine Restaurant” at this year’s Fiji Tourism!
Brett W, once again we thank you for your enthusiastic comments. All of the team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I recently travelled to Fiji with my partner and our 12 year old son and spent 5 nights at the outrigger. Having been to Fiji many times I was interested to see if Sigatogas beach was better for swimming than Denarau. Unfortunately it wasn't that great, although it was very windy ,so swimming in the ocean wasn't really an option anyway. The hotel itself was lovely, fantastic service and lovely staff , the Fijians are beautiful people. As we went in peak holiday period it was overrun with young kids, which would be of concern if you were a couple. There is a nice adults pool area though. Food was excellent and a good choice of restaurants. Our bungalow with Talai butler service was really nice and very clean. Overall , a lovely hotel. If your a beach person however, you might want to consider an island. We did 4 nights Mana island, 5 outrigger which was perfect.

Room Tip: If you can, opt for a bungalow. Very private and spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jo M

Dear Jo M

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
It sounds like you had a “great” holiday experience!
As you have detailed in your review there is something for everybody at our beautiful resort! I have noted your comments regarding the beach at the front of the resort! Our guests are able to swim, snorkel, have fun on stand-up surf boards and sea kayaks from mid tide to high tide and back down to mid tide! We also provide reef walks at low tide!
As you have stated the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is our staff – They love coming to work and engaging with our guests! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your accommodation in one of our traditional Fijian Bures!
Jo M, Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on trip advisor. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We have just spent 8 nights at this resort, in the process, attending a wedding.
Our last trip to Fiji was 24 years ago and to be honest, it was not a destination on our future travel list. What a surprise. We were delighted to see how much tourism had improved in that time. The professionalism of the staff at every level was exemplary - a fantastic compliment to their staff training. The warmth of the hospitality was genuine. The resort was spotless, well maintained, rooms and beds comfortable and well appointed. The entertainment offered was varied to accommodate all age groups. We were a group of 50 ranging in age from 18 months to 83 years young and everyone had a wonderful time. Perhaps the only area that could benefit from improvement is the food. The breakfast buffet was fine and offered a good variety. The other food and beverage outlets throughout the resort tended to be a little expensive and the quality of the foods offered was not consistent. We found the food at a neighbouring Bedarra resort far cheaper and of a better standard. In all, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Outrigger to anyone who is looking for a resort holiday.
One suggestion to the wedding planners - Choose a different wedding cake that will tolerate humidity. Perhaps a cup cake tower would be a better option.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building and had a sea view as well as sea breezes This would be our recommend...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

ChefAussie

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and, your friends had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you. As you found out they are very engaging and love coming to work!
I have noted your comments regarding the quality of your meals and I have personally discussed these issues with my Executive Chef. I also thank you for your tips on the Wedding Cake.
ChefAussie, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here and the second time I have been sick.
About 2-3 hours after eating the buffet I and others became violently ill.
Symptoms were conducive with food poisoning.
The local doctor who it turns out is employed by the hotel, was quick to dismiss this, instead suggesting a virus.
I spent 80% of my holiday in bed praying to god to kill me now!!!
When I returned to Australia I went to my own doctor who confirmed salmonella poisoning as the likely source.
When I made contact with the hotel they again were quick to dismiss this.
I found this dismissive attitude concerning as salmonella is a very serious and potentially deadly virus.
The hotel is nice enough but not worth dying for....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mr K

Dear Mr K

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
Obviously nobody likes to get ill whilst on holidays but the reality is that there has been an aggressive “Norovirus” going through all of the islands and resorts in the South Pacific. The same situation occurred earlier this year in Australia and New Zealand. I sincerely apologise for the illness that some of your party came down with. Unfortunately this 24 gastro hour virus has also impacted a large number of our staff and guests.
I assure you that this illness was not due to food poisoning but more to do with person to person transmission of the norovirus!
The “best news” is that we are now on top of this situation and there have been no recorded cases of norovirus for several days!
We have not dismissed your claims on this issue! I have had doctors from Fiji and Australia undertake independent tests on this virus and they have come up with the same diagnosis. I should also add that the doctor at the resort operates independently of the resort.
Mr. K, as I stated at the beginning, nobody likes to get ill whilst on holidays. We apologise that this situation occurred on your holiday.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Amazing wedding planner here. Asmeen Abdul thank you for everything. And all the staff here. The staff at the adults pool ; wasali yepilli..so special.thank you..this holiday here was one of my most treasured moments.
the only thing that wasnt great and did ruin some things. My maid if honor got violently ill the night before and ther was only a doctor available for an hr each morning from 9-10.she had limited advice and medicine available and charged us double as we needed to see her @10.15 so..this is not really good for a five star resort.ther should be more available when sickness breaks out.more meds and more hrs of coverage

• Stayed: November 2013
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Brendanandsylvie

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful holiday and wedding experience at our beautiful resort! Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. As you found out, they seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I will most definitely pass your comments onto Jack Johnson and his team at Vahavu! I was delighted to read that your wedding was such a memorable occasion. Our weddings and banquets team do a terrific job in looking after our wedding guests. I will most definitely share your comments with Asmeen, your wedding planner! I sincerely apologise for the lack of service form our Resort Doctor when your bride’s maid became ill. I have addressed this issue with our local doctor.
Brendanandsylie, once again we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just spent 8 nights at the Outrigger & loved it - comfortable room with very comfortable beds and pillows. Facilities, restaurants, staff and activities were all fantastic. We ate at most of the restaurants at the resort and some outside along the sunset strip and food and service in all places was really good - particularly missing my breakfast and accompanying serenaders this morning. The proximity to the two nearby villages was a bonus and we were made so welcome at the church service in Malevu on Sunday. The local bus to Sigatoka was convenient and a nice way to be amongst the locals. The lovely ladies that sell their goods along the walkways were also very friendly and never pushy with a sale which was so nice. Bebe Spa was a delight and the views from up there amazing. Visited some other resorts during a day trip and the Outrigger welcoming 'Bula" the best on the Coral Coast - loved it! Would definitely recommend a holiday here but make the most of the activities on offer - as wonderful as the pools are - you are missing out on so much if you don't get involved. Vinaka to the exceptional staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the Malevu Wing - beautiful views and always a nice breeze on the balcony - b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear ly222013

Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I was delighted to read that you took the time to visit the local villages and also Sigatoka. The Coral Coast is the cultural and adventure capital of Fiji. There is so much to do both within the resort and also in the local region.
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants Yes, our buffet breakfast is definitely one of the best!
ly222013, Once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments. Hopefully one day you will come back for a return visit?

Regards
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!