“It was five star once and its still "nice" but...”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 20 July 2014

When we arrived the room we had booked ( an ocean view room with twin double beds) was not available. It was clear that the hotel was pretty full so we were happy to hear we were being "upgraded" to a deluxe ocean view room...

The upgrade missed the mark, however, because now we had a king bed and a fold out couch. The mattress in the fold out couch was rock hard and in places the inner springs were able to be felt. This was an issue every night of our stay.

We also had an issue with the reception staff when we wanted to do some washing in the guest laundry. There were no tokens at the desk and the reception staff member told me " We will have some in ten minutes when our staff member brings some up" Those ten minutes were obviously Fiji time minutes because forty minutes later no tokens were to be had...

Immediately before staying here we had been at Denerau Island at the Sheraton. Consequently, we were in the perfect position to compare two hotels both claiming five stars. Sadly the Outrigger no longer lives up to this rating. The room was simply not big enough for three adults and certainly a fold out couch (in any state) is not what one would expect from a five star room. It is also not new or newly refurbished. It might pass for five star in 1995 but not 2014,

We were at the Outrigger during Australian School Holidays. The main pool was awash with families - kids, kids and more kids. This is a hoot if you are a family with kids - our girl is nearly 17 so this was not for us. The pool area is pretty and is well suited to families just not really ours.

We spent a fair bit of time at the adults only pool. Initially we were told that only people over 18 were allowed in this area but given that our daughter is only interested in sun-baking around a pool (no Marco Polo here) we were left to our own devices in peace. Mostly the staff here were excellent ( take a bow, Epi ) but this was not the case all over.

The food was pretty good. We enjoyed the breakfast with a new smoothy shot each day. The differently themed buffets each night were good. We also ate at the beachside bar/restaurant the adult pool restaurant and main pool restaurant - all were entirely satisfactory. A nice touch that brought my wife and I to tears was the staff singing the farewell song to us in the buffet restaurant on the last night. A beautiful way to finish our holiday.

We visited Kula Eco park (subject of a separate review but suffice to say we enjoyed ourselves) We also went into Sigatoka for some shopping which was fun and less stressful than shopping in Nadi with it's pushy shop touts.

One other criticism is the price of wifi here at the resort - $35Au for three days is ridiculous. A five star hotel has either free wifi or charges a minimal fee. It was also flukey in the room, particularly when more than one of us was on-line, so not a selling point. You can use the two laptops in the cafe for 20 minutes a time for the price of a coffee (yes, you have to buy something first) but as anyone with teenage kids will tell you, that ain't gonna cut it.

We paid only slightly less here than we did at the Sheraton. As there was no more sea swimming or snorkeling access here than there is on Denerau, I would say the saving was not worth it. There is really nothing major wrong with the Outrigger and in fact, if you have kids up to teenage years this place will suit you well, we just had better experiences elsewhere this Fiji trip and certainly much better bang for our buck in south east asia.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ozibloke
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Ozibloke
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologize for this occurrence!
I apologize that your accommodation did not meet with your expectations! We offer bedding configurations of a King bed with pull out sofa and also 2 x Queen beds. I have addressed the issue with the sofa bed in your room. I assure you that all of our rooms are refurbished on a yearly basis.
I appreciated your comments regarding the quality of meals at the resort and also the many varied and activities that are available to our guests. I was also pleased to read that you took advantage of the “Kids Free” Vahavu swimming pool. I will most certainly pass your comments onto Epi. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff – they are the heart and soul of our resort and the main reason why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted the number one family resort in Australasia and the South Pacific in this year’s Trip Advisor awards. The resort is also recognized in the top 25 resorts in the world being voted at Number 14!
Ozibloke, Once again I apologize that your stay with us was not up to your standard. I assure you that we embrace all comments and that we take a proactive approach in resolving all areas of concern. Hopefully you may reconsider and return to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future.

Peter Hopgood
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Write a ReviewReviews (3,173)

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The Outrigger was quite a drive from the airport. We were thankful we got a private transfer and not a shuttle bus - pay the extra for a private transfer or take a taxi; you will be grateful you dont have to stop at the other resorts along the way, as you will be exhausted after the flight.
The Outrigger is very clean and well maintained but it did look a little tired and outdated. The public bathrooms need to be updated and so do some parts of the rooms (we had a hotel room in the main block). We were initially disappointed that our room was small and the kids had a sofa bed to share but honestly, we were comfortable and didn't need anything bigger or more fancy. The pool area needs repair, mainly the pool tiles but I can understand that is a major job and no one wants to be on holiday without a pool! It would be awesome if the pool has a slide as there isn't much to do in the pool. Or a swim up bar would be cool but there is one of those in the adult only pool. The staff are wonderful and make your stay very special.
We tried the kids club but it wasn't successful as our kids just weren't interested. We stayed with our kids to see if they would settle and we followed them to the beach. A word of advice; don't send your kids to the kids club if they wander away as the workers have many children to look after and they do take them out to the beach.
The beach is not as stunning as I thought it would be and the sand is very course. But because it's a reef, it makes for a fun adventure to find shells and creatures! Hire a kayak with a glass bottom boat, so you can see underwater.
There is plenty to do at the resort if you want to get involved but I feel there should be some entertainment in the evenings, like a theme night or a beach party or something fun. The kids do enjoy the outside movie but other than that, there wasn't much on in the evenings.
If you have kids; sign them up with activities to help light the torches around the pool in the evenings. They dress them up in traditional costume and my kids loved it!
If you need supplies, we found the resort shops to be well stocked or you can even walk to the store that is along the beach (the nice lady in there ordered a packet of nappies for my son for her driver to bring back for me). We found it super easy to catch a public bus for $1 to Sigatoka (pay at the end of your trip). The fresh produce market there is amazing!!
There are many weddings that take place at the Outrigger. (We saw 5 weddings there on our 8 night stay). The weddings were a bit of an inconvenience as often they were in public places and as nice as they were to see, sometimes it's just too hard to keep your kid's quiet and away from the weddings. Not sure if this resort is catering more for families or weddings (perhaps a bit of both). But I would only stay there as a family, I wouldn't stay there as a couple (but they do have an adults only pool, which I only had a glance of). Perhaps, hubby and I should have utilised the babysitting service, so we could have enjoyed some adult time!
Oh and the kids meals are fantastic! Make sure you utilise the kids eat, stay, and play for free. Amazing value.
A lot of people say the restaurants are overpriced but I didnt think so at all. It was all very comparable to Australian prices. And outside the resort, most things are cheap!
Overall, Outrigger on the Lagoon is fabulous; it's clean, the gardens are immaculate and our bed was superb (and I am fussy with mattresses!) but I wouldn't rate it as 5 star. It's more 4.5 star.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank allylou
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear allylou
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort. As you found out our staff make all of the difference!
It was most unfortunate that your children did not enjoy their time at the Kids Club. There is so much to do and also so many outdoor activities for the children to participate in. This includes visits to the Eco Park, Fish Feeding, Shell collecting, Crab Races (where you have to find your own crab) plus many other healthy outdoor activities. At night time with offer many and varied activities. These include Crab Races, Frog Races, live entertainment 7 nights a week, outdoor cinema plus on 4 nights a week we offer cultural floor shows.
How good are the dining options at the resort – we have some of the best restaurants in all of Fiji and as you have stated prices are comparable or even less expensive than resorts in Australia.
allylou, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Vinaka and Warm Regards
Peter Hopgood
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I arrived at around 1.30 pm and was advised that check in was 3pm- fair enough - I asked if there was a chance my room could be ready early, they said come back at 3pm but in the meanwhile go to the adults pool, which was fine but it was full. The man who checked me in could not have been any more dismissive. I ended up paring an extra A$250 to upgrade to a bungalow, which is right I
N front if the kids club? It is now 3.45 on my second day and my room has not been cleaned yet. For A$400 a night I expect
T much better service than this hotel offers - would recommend it for families but for anyone else stay away

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank James K
Outrigger_Fiji_2013, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear James K,

At Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, we are all about delivery high quality and memorable holiday experiences and it appears that we failed to achieve this on your recent stay and for this we sincerely apologize. Whilst 3pm check in is standard, our staffs response was unacceptable and our Front Office Manager will be reviewing this process with his team. With regards to the allocation and location of your Bure and late servicing of your room, I am aware that our Duty Manager has been in contact and offered a room move to a more suitable Bure. For all guests, it is important to note that we have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day and if anything is not quite as it should be, they can most certainly assist to ensure that you have the amazing Outrigger experience that our resort is famous for.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I agree with one of the other reviewers, it was great but something was missing. The food was greatly overpriced, and pretty average. Very little to do except the pool. I understand that many activities were based on the tide, but I have stayed at multiple resorts along the coral coast and they don't seem to have the same problem, and the beach at other resorts are much nicer and more accessible. The staff were the saving grace. They are happy friendly and enthusiastic, they are amazing and should be showcased as the star. The rooms were pretty average. Dark and gloomy kept very clean but the room itself and it's fixtures were not what I would expect of a five star resort, tired would how I would describe them. The gym was great and very accessible and the staff really helpful, wish my own gym staff were that helpful. We had a great but not fantastic time, kids made some great friends and had a great time, but even they said they would rather go to back to Europe and hike around than go back to fiji.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mikechrislachlan

Dear mikechrislachlan,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us and I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. You are correct that our Lagoon is tidal with an abundance of water activities from Mid to High and back to Mid tide. I must also mention a fantastic reef walk activity that we do at low tide. I will also discuss your feedback with our Executive Chef as our restaurants are widely regarded as some of the top restaurants in Fiji. Lastly, thank you for your kind comments relating to our staff. They most certainly the key to our resort. Mickechrislachlan, we most certainly appreciate all feedback as we strive for continual improvement.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My Fiance' and I have just returned from an amazing holiday in Sigatoka, Fiji. We stayed for a week at the Outrigger on the Lagoon and it was absolutely beautiful and very welcoming. We ate at every place in the resort and found the staff and food to be A++. Our friends were getting Married up at the Chapel on the hill behind the resort and what an awesome view it was from up there overlooking the resort and the coastline. All the kids were well looked after by the inhouse nanny's who were such lovely ladies and very caring. It rained a few days we were there so we didn't do too much at the beach but the Bar near the main pool got a work out and the food was great. All in all a very nice relaxing place to stay everyone is so welcoming and easy going and they give you anything and everything you need or want. Highly Likely we will go back one day.

Room Tip: our room was right near the beach and was very comfortable with everything you need provided. The li...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ray M,

Thank you for choosing Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji for your recent holiday and we are thrilled to read that you had an amazing holiday. You have made mention about our beautiful MeiMei’s which is our unique nanny service that ensures that kids are taken care of by qualified child care staff so that the big kids can also relax and enjoy. We thank you again for choosing Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

After much deliberation and research, we decided on the Outrigger as our wedding venue and number 1 choice for our guests to holiday at. They were really prompt and informative with all of our enquiries which really put our minds at east while were were planning our destination wedding. When we arrived the staff were extremely helpful and the rooms were breathtaking. We had a super friendly and helpful butler who was extremely accommodating of our requests and made the days leading up to our wedding less stressful.
A special mention to Asmeen our wedding coordinator who was very friendly and professional and not at all flustered by any of our requests and really went above and beyond what we could have imagined. Our photographer was also great and really went the extra mile and produced amazing photos in such a short period of time.
The whole trip was absolutely amazing and all of our guest had a great time and I can honestly say this was the best holiday of my life, thanks to the wonderful service and amazing resort.

Room Tip: Get the room with the butler, you wont be disappointed with their great service!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank penskifiles

Dear penskifiles,

First and foremost, congratulations on your recent wedding. We are thrilled that you selected Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji for your special day and I am so happy to read that it was everything you had hoped for and more. I will most certainly provide a copy of your feedback to Asmeen and our weddings team. They do a fantastic job of taking care of all the smaller details so that you simply just need to enjoy your day. Thank you for your kind feedback and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Outrigger for a wedding.
The rooms were clean and the grounds were spotless and vast.
Breakfast was good, but the rest of the food was disappointing- but we didn't try their up market restaurant. (Luckily the food at the wedding was exceptional).
Most of the staff were very friendly but we had a few problems when we were told we could take a baby to High Tea, or pay with cash after checkout while waiting for our shuttle, only to have it overruled by over-zealous middle management.
The pool was a little cool, and while the snorkeling was wonderful, I only managed it once because of the tides.
For a family with young children, this place would be good, but I found something missing.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Maussie54
Outrigger_Fiji_2013, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Maussie54,
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations and that you found something missing. This is very unusual feedback for our beautiful resort. As can been seen in the vast majority of the reviews, people often comment on that extra spark that our resort has, which is generally relating to our team who strive to delivery our famous Outrigger Experience. I most certainly apologize for the miscommunication with regards to the payment of Hi-Tea and will address this with our teams. Just so you are aware, our resort is now a cashless resort in all outlets. Thank you again for your valued feedback.
Jason Zvatora

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!