“Fantastic Family Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
launceston
“Fantastic Family Holiday”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This resort isn't cheap, but it is worth every cent. We wanted to go somewhere where we would be "looked after" and the Outrigger did that and more. We have a family of five (children aged 12,14 and 16) and there was something to do for everyone. Then there was also nothing to do if that was what you wanted to do.
The food was awesome, we loved the different themes each night. The breakfast buffet set us up each day and the fresh fruit was delicious.
Activities were excellent. We found our rooms to be very good - no complainants.
We paid for meals upfront and found this to be the best way to go. We had no mistakes on our account at the end of our 8 night stay.
The service and staff at the Outrigger are second to none. Nothing was a hassle and we never had to wait for anything.
We would recommend the Outrigger Fiji to any family.

Room Tip: For a family of 5 people we chose to stay in two standard rooms at the top of the resort instead of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank mark w
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Mark W
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort!
It is easy to understand why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted as the “Number One Family Resort” in all of Australia and the South Pacific at the recent Trip Advisor “Traveler’s Choice” awards. As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the world. How good are the restaurants at the resort? As you have detailed in your commentary, there is plenty of choice and the quality is outstanding!
Mark W, we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I completely disagree with the other recent reviews.
We have just come back from a ten night stay with our 7 & 3 yr old children, staying in an ocean deluxe room. Our stay at the Outrigger was exceptional. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Our room was spotless - it does mention in the book in the room that rooms are cleaned between 10-4pm daily.
We ate at all the restaurants and enjoyed every meal.
Not only did we have an amazing time in the resort but we had the opportunity to visit three villages, a school (even had a cup of tea at our taxi drivers house). On top of this we did the usual commercial tours eg Captain Cook Cruise, Jet Boat Tour.
The Talai service at the hotel is a must - canapés and a drink each night was a special touch of the resort.
I am the most fussiest person, have travelled overseas many times and have stayed at many five star hotels. I did not have an issue with the Outrigger and would highly recommend this resort especially for families. Vinaka

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Huddo6
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Huddo6
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you and your family enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort!
As you found out, we are blessed with the friendliest staff that you will find anywhere in the world - I will most definitely share your comments with our team! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the service from out talai butler team – As you found out this service is unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Huddo6, once again we thank you for your comments - all of my team looks forward to welcoming you and your family back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Travelled to the Outrigger for a family Wedding. Nice and very spacious grounds. Room was nice but a bit dated. It did smell musty though. Have stayed at a four star resort not far from here couldn't see any difference. They have a new 'No Cash' system and it's not working. We checked our bill every day and there were mistakes. The other members of our family had mistakes too, from being charged for breakfast that was included to having shots billed to my 89yo mother's room. So would advise to check your bill daily. As always the best part of Fiji are the people. they are just the most friendly in the world

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BrianhU4197HC
Dear BrianhU4197HC
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
I apologise that there was a mix-up with your account. I have addressed this issue with our department managers and I assure you that all of our staff are undertaking further training on room billing! I was somewhat surprised by your comments regarding your accommodation. We refurbish our rooms on a yearly basis and only just recently the new beds and rugs were placed in most of our rooms. We are currently in the process of installing make-up mirrors in all of our bathrooms.
BrianhU4197HC, Once again I apologise that your stay with us was not up to your standard. I assure you that we embrace all comments and that we take a proactive approach in resolving all areas of concern.

Timaru, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

If you're are reading this review and are contemplating on whether to stay at Outrigger Fiji or not - I assure you that at Outrigger Fiji it is worth every single cent. The resort is styled as a Fijian Village but meets 5 star luxury. Authentic in every way yet very modern. This year was our third visit and we're already planning for our 4th visit next year. Like most of you, I like to research and compare holiday accommodations before booking anything. Making sure that my hard earning cash is not thrown away into the drain. At outrigger you get more bang for your buck. The resort itself is fantastic. Neat and tidy room with tropical modern furniture, friendly staff (who always treats you like royalty), family pool and adult pool (my favourite place), 4 main restaurants to choose from (food are out of this world) not including Vahavu and kalokalo bar - they too are amazing. I have a 2 year old daughter who was looked after by the resort nanny so that i could take my beautiful wife out on a date. This was a nice touch. Though we don't have older kids but the resort offers varieties of kids activities. The spa treatment was very relaxing and therapeutic (just what we need). We loved very single minute of our stay at Outrigger Fiji and I totally recommend it to anyone whether you traveling solo or with family and friends. See you there July 2015. :)

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Mosese N
Dear Mosese N
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am absolutely delighted that we could provide you and your family with such a “Beyond Amazing” holiday! As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort is our amazing staff. I was impressed that you took your wife out on a date whilst our incredible meimei nannies looked after your 2 year old daughter. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about! We take great care of the children so that Mums and Dads can have some much needed time together.
Mosese N – Once again we thank you for your comments - We all look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, at some time in the not too distant future for your 4th visit!

Melbourne
Reviewed 20 July 2014

When we arrived the room we had booked ( an ocean view room with twin double beds) was not available. It was clear that the hotel was pretty full so we were happy to hear we were being "upgraded" to a deluxe ocean view room...

The upgrade missed the mark, however, because now we had a king bed and a fold out couch. The mattress in the fold out couch was rock hard and in places the inner springs were able to be felt. This was an issue every night of our stay.

We also had an issue with the reception staff when we wanted to do some washing in the guest laundry. There were no tokens at the desk and the reception staff member told me " We will have some in ten minutes when our staff member brings some up" Those ten minutes were obviously Fiji time minutes because forty minutes later no tokens were to be had...

Immediately before staying here we had been at Denerau Island at the Sheraton. Consequently, we were in the perfect position to compare two hotels both claiming five stars. Sadly the Outrigger no longer lives up to this rating. The room was simply not big enough for three adults and certainly a fold out couch (in any state) is not what one would expect from a five star room. It is also not new or newly refurbished. It might pass for five star in 1995 but not 2014,

We were at the Outrigger during Australian School Holidays. The main pool was awash with families - kids, kids and more kids. This is a hoot if you are a family with kids - our girl is nearly 17 so this was not for us. The pool area is pretty and is well suited to families just not really ours.

We spent a fair bit of time at the adults only pool. Initially we were told that only people over 18 were allowed in this area but given that our daughter is only interested in sun-baking around a pool (no Marco Polo here) we were left to our own devices in peace. Mostly the staff here were excellent ( take a bow, Epi ) but this was not the case all over.

The food was pretty good. We enjoyed the breakfast with a new smoothy shot each day. The differently themed buffets each night were good. We also ate at the beachside bar/restaurant the adult pool restaurant and main pool restaurant - all were entirely satisfactory. A nice touch that brought my wife and I to tears was the staff singing the farewell song to us in the buffet restaurant on the last night. A beautiful way to finish our holiday.

We visited Kula Eco park (subject of a separate review but suffice to say we enjoyed ourselves) We also went into Sigatoka for some shopping which was fun and less stressful than shopping in Nadi with it's pushy shop touts.

One other criticism is the price of wifi here at the resort - $35Au for three days is ridiculous. A five star hotel has either free wifi or charges a minimal fee. It was also flukey in the room, particularly when more than one of us was on-line, so not a selling point. You can use the two laptops in the cafe for 20 minutes a time for the price of a coffee (yes, you have to buy something first) but as anyone with teenage kids will tell you, that ain't gonna cut it.

We paid only slightly less here than we did at the Sheraton. As there was no more sea swimming or snorkeling access here than there is on Denerau, I would say the saving was not worth it. There is really nothing major wrong with the Outrigger and in fact, if you have kids up to teenage years this place will suit you well, we just had better experiences elsewhere this Fiji trip and certainly much better bang for our buck in south east asia.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ozibloke
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear Ozibloke
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologize for this occurrence!
I apologize that your accommodation did not meet with your expectations! We offer bedding configurations of a King bed with pull out sofa and also 2 x Queen beds. I have addressed the issue with the sofa bed in your room. I assure you that all of our rooms are refurbished on a yearly basis.
I appreciated your comments regarding the quality of meals at the resort and also the many varied and activities that are available to our guests. I was also pleased to read that you took advantage of the “Kids Free” Vahavu swimming pool. I will most certainly pass your comments onto Epi. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff – they are the heart and soul of our resort and the main reason why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted the number one family resort in Australasia and the South Pacific in this year’s Trip Advisor awards. The resort is also recognized in the top 25 resorts in the world being voted at Number 14!
Ozibloke, Once again I apologize that your stay with us was not up to your standard. I assure you that we embrace all comments and that we take a proactive approach in resolving all areas of concern. Hopefully you may reconsider and return to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future.

Melbourne
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The Outrigger was quite a drive from the airport. We were thankful we got a private transfer and not a shuttle bus - pay the extra for a private transfer or take a taxi; you will be grateful you dont have to stop at the other resorts along the way, as you will be exhausted after the flight.
The Outrigger is very clean and well maintained but it did look a little tired and outdated. The public bathrooms need to be updated and so do some parts of the rooms (we had a hotel room in the main block). We were initially disappointed that our room was small and the kids had a sofa bed to share but honestly, we were comfortable and didn't need anything bigger or more fancy. The pool area needs repair, mainly the pool tiles but I can understand that is a major job and no one wants to be on holiday without a pool! It would be awesome if the pool has a slide as there isn't much to do in the pool. Or a swim up bar would be cool but there is one of those in the adult only pool. The staff are wonderful and make your stay very special.
We tried the kids club but it wasn't successful as our kids just weren't interested. We stayed with our kids to see if they would settle and we followed them to the beach. A word of advice; don't send your kids to the kids club if they wander away as the workers have many children to look after and they do take them out to the beach.
The beach is not as stunning as I thought it would be and the sand is very course. But because it's a reef, it makes for a fun adventure to find shells and creatures! Hire a kayak with a glass bottom boat, so you can see underwater.
There is plenty to do at the resort if you want to get involved but I feel there should be some entertainment in the evenings, like a theme night or a beach party or something fun. The kids do enjoy the outside movie but other than that, there wasn't much on in the evenings.
If you have kids; sign them up with activities to help light the torches around the pool in the evenings. They dress them up in traditional costume and my kids loved it!
If you need supplies, we found the resort shops to be well stocked or you can even walk to the store that is along the beach (the nice lady in there ordered a packet of nappies for my son for her driver to bring back for me). We found it super easy to catch a public bus for $1 to Sigatoka (pay at the end of your trip). The fresh produce market there is amazing!!
There are many weddings that take place at the Outrigger. (We saw 5 weddings there on our 8 night stay). The weddings were a bit of an inconvenience as often they were in public places and as nice as they were to see, sometimes it's just too hard to keep your kid's quiet and away from the weddings. Not sure if this resort is catering more for families or weddings (perhaps a bit of both). But I would only stay there as a family, I wouldn't stay there as a couple (but they do have an adults only pool, which I only had a glance of). Perhaps, hubby and I should have utilised the babysitting service, so we could have enjoyed some adult time!
Oh and the kids meals are fantastic! Make sure you utilise the kids eat, stay, and play for free. Amazing value.
A lot of people say the restaurants are overpriced but I didnt think so at all. It was all very comparable to Australian prices. And outside the resort, most things are cheap!
Overall, Outrigger on the Lagoon is fabulous; it's clean, the gardens are immaculate and our bed was superb (and I am fussy with mattresses!) but I wouldn't rate it as 5 star. It's more 4.5 star.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank allylou
Dear allylou
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort. As you found out our staff make all of the difference!
It was most unfortunate that your children did not enjoy their time at the Kids Club. There is so much to do and also so many outdoor activities for the children to participate in. This includes visits to the Eco Park, Fish Feeding, Shell collecting, Crab Races (where you have to find your own crab) plus many other healthy outdoor activities. At night time with offer many and varied activities. These include Crab Races, Frog Races, live entertainment 7 nights a week, outdoor cinema plus on 4 nights a week we offer cultural floor shows.
How good are the dining options at the resort – we have some of the best restaurants in all of Fiji and as you have stated prices are comparable or even less expensive than resorts in Australia.
allylou, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived at around 1.30 pm and was advised that check in was 3pm- fair enough - I asked if there was a chance my room could be ready early, they said come back at 3pm but in the meanwhile go to the adults pool, which was fine but it was full. The man who checked me in could not have been any more dismissive. I ended up paring an extra A$250 to upgrade to a bungalow, which is right I
N front if the kids club? It is now 3.45 on my second day and my room has not been cleaned yet. For A$400 a night I expect
T much better service than this hotel offers - would recommend it for families but for anyone else stay away

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank James K
Outrigger_Fiji_2013, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear James K,

At Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji, we are all about delivery high quality and memorable holiday experiences and it appears that we failed to achieve this on your recent stay and for this we sincerely apologize. Whilst 3pm check in is standard, our staffs response was unacceptable and our Front Office Manager will be reviewing this process with his team. With regards to the allocation and location of your Bure and late servicing of your room, I am aware that our Duty Manager has been in contact and offered a room move to a more suitable Bure. For all guests, it is important to note that we have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day and if anything is not quite as it should be, they can most certainly assist to ensure that you have the amazing Outrigger experience that our resort is famous for.

Kind regards,
Jason Zvatora
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!