“Disappointed”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ended our wedding and honeymoon trip in Fiji. We spent a lot of time looking at different hotel options. Denarau was our first area of focus, but we ultimately decided against it due to the fact it was a man-made island and very touristy. We were going to be on our honeymoon and wanted to see a different part of Fiji in a romantic setting. We settled on the Outrigger as I had many positive experiences at the Outrigger hotels in Hawaii. We read the reviews and saw so much positivity online. We knew the hotel was quite a distance from Nadi, but it could not deter us. Unfortunately, the experience did not live up to expectations.

We arrived late but were warmly greeted by staff and had a nice honeymoon surprise in the bedroom with beads and the traditional Fijian attire. The room was a little dated, but we were excited nevertheless.

The next day, we started to notice some things that would become themes for the hotel. We had thought that this would be a better destination for a honeymoon than the Denarau hotels. Wow, were we wrong. Literally, 85-90% of the people at the hotel were families. Most of the remaining percentage were wedding parties. I think we saw maybe 2-3 other couples like us. This led to lots of noise and either a party or family atmosphere. The adult pool was always swimming with partyers (if you could find a place to sit), while the general pool was always crazy. I even got hit in the head by a tennis ball, prompting the person next to me to say I should go to the adult pool. Little did she know we just came from there. We just wanted to relax but it was always a chore.

The room ended up being a problem. The age of the room really showed at times. The air conditioning vent rattled so much when the air was on that we never could keep it on. We asked staff to address it but it went ignored. The bathroom setup was also odd, where you could walk through the closet to get inside. We were also placed near the front entrance of the resort, so we were woken up early every morning to the screams of "Bula" from the guard gate attendant. This would go on all day, so forget about getting any restful sleep. Literally, every 5 minutes, we would hear it. Not so romantic.

The staff was hit or miss. We met some of the loveliest people who worked for the hotel, especially some of those we met at a reception we were graciously invited to. Unfortunately, we also came across some disappointing behavior. We had a worker who ignored our "Do not disturb" sign and repeatedly attempted to check the minibar at 9:00 am. Even after opening the door, he insisted on coming in - even though I told him we were sleeping. We have other examples of being ignored or being dismissed, but I won't nitpick.

The internet arrangement was really bad. We literally could not connect the entire trip via wifi. Also, in order to use the lobby computers, you needed to buy something from the coffee shop. The internet was abysmal at best and the computers either could not connect or had keyboards that would not register specific letters. Really really sad.

Also, this leads to another quick point. We knew the hotel would be expensive, but it seemed like they went out of their way to nickel and dime you. Paying for coffee just to access horrible internet, charging a percentage for any credit card use, etc. it just seemed a little much.

What was most disappointing for us and ended up really clouding our trip was the final day. As mentioned we arrived very late our first night and had asked about a late check outs we had a late flight home and wanted extra time to hang out and shower. We were told we would have to pay a fee per hour, but we were ok with it. Unfortunately, we were told that we had to be out by 11 am, no exceptions. We ended up having to roam the grounds with a half packed bag, and shower in a really subpar "locker room" that smelled like urine. Not ideal at all. They acted like it would be easy, but it was just a huge weight on us and left a really bad taste in our mouth.

On a positive note, we did enjoy the food and loved the options available to us. The beach was nice and the spa was the best I have visited. Absolutely stunning sunsets, too.

By luck, we ended up getting an extra night in Fiji and we stayed at the Westin in Denarau. We had such an amazing time there and was exactly what we were looking for. We just wished we stayed there.

Overall, we made the best of our trip but we would not stay at the Fiji Outrigger again. If you are looking for romantic, definitely look elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rocke031
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear rocke031
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
I apologise that you found the resort too busy for your liking! Unfortunately the time of your travel was over the Australian school holidays, hence the large number of children. To be honest I do not think Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was the perfect fit for you. I also manage another resort called Castaway Island I personally believe that this would have been better suited for your requirements. I apologise for the issues you encountered with the mini bar attendant. I have addressed this issue with our food and beverage managers and I assure you that all of our staff will undertake further training on room protocol! I was somewhat surprised by your comments regarding your accommodation. We refurbish our rooms on a yearly basis and only just recently new beds and rugs were placed in most of our rooms. I also apologise that we were unable to extend to you a late checkout – The resort is currently running at 100% occupancy and we need to ensure that rooms are ready for our arrival guests. I was disappointed to read your comments stating that the resort was taking advantage of our guests. It should be noted that all of the activities at the resort are free. We also offer free Kids Club, yoga, meditation, pool aerobics, water sports and those guests with children we also offer free Kids Club and free meals for children under 12. As you would have found out we also offer complimentary Talei butler service.
We are currently in the process of upgrading our internet facilities at the resort – This is a Fiji wide issue????
rocke031, Once again I apologise that your stay with us was not up to your standard. I assure you that we embrace all comments and that we take a proactive approach in resolving all areas of concern.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Amazing staff from Peter Hopgood, the General Manager to the baristas and cleaners. We had a fabulous stay as part of a family reunion (Australia & USA). My baby daughter (10 months old) was teething, and would only go to 1 staff member who wasn't a nanny. Understandably, this required special permission which was arranged, which allowed us to have a break. There was so much kindness shown, the children's meals were amazing and high quality - and there was sufficient choice to ensure that one could find suitable food. Wish the weather had been a bit more co-operative but that is beyond the resort's control! They do their best even when this becomes a factor. Had some memorable chats with many of the resort staff - including one about history and archeology. Don't make any assumptions - there are many interesting and talented (and kind, most importantly) people that work at this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Plantation Family Bure. Great space for four of us (including young children). We did...
1 Thank gpsnomad
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear gpsnomad
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable family reunion and holiday experience at our beautiful resort.
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I was delighted that Kessa from the coffee shop was able to take such good care of your 10 month old baby – As you found anything is possible, all you have to do is ask!
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants – It is easy to understand why they are rated as the best in the South Pacific – refer reviews of Ivi Restaurant.
gpsnomad, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a lovely and relaxed stay with Outrigger. There are several drinking and dining options within the resort and it's also close to Sunset Strip and Sigatoka when you feel like getting out for awhile. We enjoyed the comfortable room to return to and were treated wonderfully by all the staff. The surprise visit one night by our room keeper and musicians to sing happy birthday and brought me a slice of cake was very special and memorable. It is a happy place, with a superb breakfast banquet, good coffee and close to public transport and taxi's if you wish to explore beyond the resort. We took an enjoyable visit from here to the Lawai Pottery Village, also recommend a short walk to the lovely Kula Eco Park nearby. When i return, i would prefer to stay in a bure, especially a seaview bure. Do venture up to the Kalokalo bar for the view and a lovely cocktail.

Room Tip: i would recommend pay a bit more for a bure to enjoy a more private and atmospheric stay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W
Dear Elaine W
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort - our staff make all of the difference!
As you found out the Fijians love a celebration – I was delighted to read that they celebrated your birthday in fine style! Thank you for your comments in relation to the dining options at the resort – we have some of the best restaurants in all of Fiji.
Elaine W, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have just returned from my stay at the Outrigger where my brother got married. It was a truly unique experience. What made the trip for me were the fijian people. The Outrigger have some of the nicest staff I have ever encountered in the Tourism Industry around the world.
They think of everything. To the beautiful sounds of Amania and the three piece fijian style band accompanying a splendid buffet breakfast, to the turn down of beds with local native flowers at night, to the nanny service my sister utilised so that she could really wind down and enjoy her trip.
Just remember that everyone is on Fiji time and things do take a little longer than usual, but I think thats part of the charm and it really makes you slow down and evaluate 'how quick do I really need my cocktail?'

The staff are amazing and the food and cocktails delicious! Service was awesome, just relax and be happy that you are in such a beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: The Bure's are similar to the smaller hotel rooms in size and quality. Probably not worth the ex...
1 Thank BlaiseMcCann
Dear BlaiseMcCann
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort!
As you found out, we are blessed with the friendliest staff that you will find anywhere in the world - I will most definitely share your comments with our team! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the entertainment from our serenaders – there is nothing better than the sound of live music!
BlaiseMcCann, once again we thank you for your comments - all of my team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have just returned from the Outrigger Fiji. The venue was terrific, we stayed in a basic room however it was the facilities that were wonderful. It allowed us to do our laps in the pool, go for runs and workout in the gym. The Bebe Spa was a highlight, as were the staff in general. Although seniors with no children or grandchildren in tow we were so impressed with the way the children were catered for by the wonderful Fijians. The Kids Club and Meimei Centre looked so inviting, allowing parents a wonderful vacation. Quite impressed that the Outrigger Fiji also provided 'adults only' areas. Great place to relax irrespective of your family dynamic!

Room Tip: Ocean views on higher levels.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara W
Dear Barbara W
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am absolutely delighted that we could provide you and your husband with such a memorable holiday! As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort is our amazing staff. I was impressed that you and your husband kept so fit and healthy on your holiday – We have exceptional gym and health facilities at the resort. Thank you for your comments on our Kids Club and meimei nanny facilities. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about! We take great care of the children so that Mums and Dads can have some much needed time together.
Barbara W – Once again we thank you for your comments - We all look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, at some time in the not too distant future!

Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are 1 day off returning from the fantastic Outrigger Fiji. We had two of the basic rooms in the front of the building near reception. We had no complaints about these rooms, always clean and well maintained and fantastic for my family considering we only slept in them.
The food (we opted for the full meal packaged) was delicious and varied and we had no complaints from one of our fussy little eaters. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff right from Praveena at BeBe spa (what a view from that spa), to the cleaning, waiting and activities staff. Most nights found us listening and dancing to the band and enjoying the delicious cocktails in the Vakavanua Lounge Bar. (The girls singing, had great voices). We would like to make a special mention to the bubbly Asena from the Pool Bar and restaurant. What a gorgeous girl, and always a smile on her face. Thank you Outrigger, we definitely recommend this resort to all, young and old. We will defiantly be back. We paid for a week of wifi but found that the could only get access from the reception area, but this was not a huge problem to us.

Room Tip: Travelling with my family and two other families. We had the basic room, with interconnecting rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GayleandCo
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear GayleandCo
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a memorable experience. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most definitely share your comments with the Asena from the pool bar.
GayleandCo, Once again we thank you for your comments. Please don’t be sad - all of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

auckland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We'd been to the outrigger 6 years ago and it seemed tired and in need of a reno, this time round it was me who was tired and in need of a reno and I got it! Our kids are 7 & 10 and they had the best holiday, which in turn meant my husband and I, actually had a holiday!

Positives
Activities that are organised by the resort - they kept the kids entertained and it was free.
Lots of kids for our kids to play with
Nice family atmosphere - if you are into 'drinking beer for breakfast' then you'd hate the Outrigger.
2 adult only areas - nice, quiet, exclusively adult pool and Ivi restaurant (I love being around kids but also love the quiet of adult only spaces)
The spa - beautiful and breath taking and the massage was good too!
The singing - Fijian people live to sing and it really is lovely that everywhere you go at the Outrigger you hear the background singing.
The people - the staff are lovely - Fijian time though ;0
The pool - great size pool and warm
The gym and tennis courts - I didn't use, but my husband did and he said they were good
The resort grounds - lush, tropical, Fijian

Negatives
Food - Still need a bit more work needed here. Breakfast is good, the grill is good, didn't go to the cafe, the buffet is not that great, poolside bar isn't that great either. Kids meals, chips with everything and never very warm
Doesnt feel fancy like a 5 star resort, but it feels 'Fijian' - bathrooms are still a bit tired
Coral coast does get a bit windy - but that can be very welcome if its too hot.
It's expensive - Get a meal plan included in your deal, get butler service, take snacks for kids, bring some duty free booze then forget about the bill. You are on holiday after all!

Room Tip: Bure seemed nice - but looks like you'd all be in 1 space,
2 Thank joludoandlouis
joludoandlouis
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort. What you have described in your commentary is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about - My staff take really good care of the children so that Mums and Dads can have some quality “chill out” time together!
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you. As you found out they are very engaging and love coming to work!
I have noted your comments regarding the Kids meals and will address this with our chef.
I was somewhat surprised by your comments regarding your accommodation – I assure you that all of our rooms are refurbished on a yearly basis.
joludoandlouis, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!