“Excellent Holiday”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
“Excellent Holiday”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

we stayed 10 days at the Outrigger in an ocean view room on top floor of hotel and the view was spectacular.......service to our room was great as were the staff at the resort. Food at the restaurants was great, café was great and room service was good as well. It is a large resort set on the coral coast right on the beach which is great in the morning at high tide but the afternoon you are better off in the pools - there is a large pool for everyone or a separate pool just for adults with pool bar. I could not say anything bad about the place it's great for adults and kids so everyone is catered for.....we actually did quite a few activities outside the resort like the fly line (flying fox) in the rainforest and the jetski safari amongst other things........There is also an eco-park across from the hotel which has the cutest reptiles for you to hold and enjoy it was fantastic.......the Fijian people are the most loveliest and friendly people so go there and enjoy Bula!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Georgia566
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Georgia566
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday experience at our beautiful resort.
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I will most definitely share your comments with our teams. I was delighted to read that you took advantage of the many and varied activities outside the resort – Seriously there is so much to do!
Georgia566, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Thank you Outrigger for another amazing holiday.

We returned last night from an 8 night stay at this beautiful place.

Once again the food and cocktails were out of this world but what truly makes this place stand out from all the rest is the staff. Returning after visiting 3 years ago I was so happy to see so many of the same staff working at the Outrigger. Ana S, Asena, Sisila all beautiful welcoming wonderful people.

This time we stayed in a Plantation Bure and by goodness we were so impressed. Spacious rooms that also gave us a grassed area outside for our children to play.

The weather was dreadful whilst we were there however we still had a holiday to remember.

The one and only negative thing I have to say is that we were again so disappointed that the Farewell Song was not sung to us on our last day. This was missed on our last trip to Outrigger too and we were so looking forward to it this time as everyone else seemed to have this song sung to them. What was especially disappointing is that many of the staff knew it was our last day there too. Nothing major I know but the children especially were really looking forward to hearing this song sung to us.

Overall though a wonderful family holiday again and we will definitely be back again. Hopefully we will get the same bure again next time.

Vinaka.

Room Tip: Plantation Bures are beautiful.
2 Thank thejays12
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear thejays12
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort - our staff make all of the difference!
I sincerely apologise that our staff failed to sing the isa lei departure song on your last morning at the resort – I will most definitely follow up with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Thejays12, besides this unfortunate occurrence, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This place is just so lovely, we wish we had stayed here instead of moving onto Matamanoa!

We booked this resort to have our wedding, and it was perfect. The venues are just stunning and the staff are so helpful and are great at their jobs. The whole day ran smoothly and felt like something out of a movie.

We ate at the Sundowner a few times for breakfast and dinner, the breakfast was nice but pretty much the same as what you get at the buffet. Dinner was lovely though, I had the margarita pizza and it was divine. We had breakfast at the buffet every other morning, this was great, the selection was amazing and so much variety. It all tasted delicious. Well worth how much it costs considering you could eat enough to fill you up until dinner time.We had a dinner down at the Baravi at this was very nice, I ordered the butter chicken and my partner ordered the green curry, both were so good, especially the butter chicken. We had lunch at the main pool bar, I had a chicken ceasar salad and it was spectacular, they made all the meals so quickly and everyone loved what they ordered. We had the romantic dinner at the private bure as a part of the package, catered by the Ivi, my goodness, this was amazing!

The rooms are very nice as well, we had the deluxe rooms but we had the block down the bottom so our views were sublime! And it was easy walking around everywhere but if your legs get tired the staff will call a buggy straight away.

The whole resort has such charm and class, it is worth the money, I personally didn't find the prices very expensive at all, on par with Australian resorts that aren't even 5 star.

We will definitely be back, hopefully for our one year anniversary!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HolidayLovers2207
Dear HolidayLovers2207
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am absolutely delighted that we could provide you and your husband with such a memorable wedding and holiday experience! As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort is our amazing staff. I was pleased to read that your wedding went so well! Thank you for your comments in relation to our restaurants – It is easy to understand why our restaurants are voted as the best in Fiji.
HolidayLovers2207 – Once again we thank you for your comments - We all look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, at some time in the not too distant future!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me start by saying, if you are visiting this as part of a group, a wedding, a birthday party or conference ... you'll have a ball. An expensive one, but still a fun time.

I stay at a lot of resorts around the world for business, 4 in the last year alone in Indonesia, Morocco, Malaysia and Mexico. If you are thinking of coming as a solo family I would humbly suggest that a lengthy stay here might be a bit too much. In retrospect we should have stayed here for a few days and then moved on somewhere else. 10 days was too long.

This is a resort which (while we were there) had two or three large groups staying at any given time and at least one wedding per day. That is fine, but the problem was that the groups tend to dominate. They take over sections of the pool, take over the bars at night, dont really socialise outside their group (why would they?) and that makes it difficult for a solo family to interact.

A few things of note:
At a resort you should feel important ... especially when you are staying in the best room for a lengthy stay (10 days). The resort manager often walked around the resort, but I never once saw him taking to a guest, let alone us. We had to request our farewell song be played on our last night or it would not have happened (our kids were wondering about it) ... I mean come on?! The staff often looked the other way when talking or orders as if there was somewhere else they needed to be ... No we didn't feel important. We felt if you weren't one of the big wedding groups you were an after thought.Consolation to this was the butlers we had, Tave and Lusia were fantastic! Some of the Bar staff were good too, but I did wonder if their rapid service was as much to do with them selling as many drinks as possible as it was being polite ... perhaps that is just the cynic in me ;)

The internet was patchy at best and expensive. During the day we had virtually no internet in our room at all and elsewhere it was incredibly slow and "laggy" especially at peak times. At night it was OK if you went somewhere you could get good reception ... Sometimes. At least half the time it wouldn't connect, on any device!

At one point the hammock rope outside our Bure broke (due to excessive wear) while my daughter was on it. She fell but was uninjured. It was promptly fixed and handled with appropriate concern by the manager but the promised incident report never eventuated indicating that so long as no one was injured and you were not going to be sued... You didn't seem to care to learn from the experience.

At night a creepy guy walks in front of each Bure with a torch taking notes of everything outside the front ... glad I wasnt on my honeymoon! I asked him about it one night and he said he was counting shoes and clothes left outside ... why? did they get stolen (not good) was because people staying claimed things were stolen when they were not (not my kind of clientelle)?

The "Adults" pool is open from 9am until 5pm only ... but the kids club is open from 10-12, 2-4 and 6-9 ... this means that if you have kids there is no real way you can have lunch there (unless it is an early lunch or you put your kids with a mei mei.). Note this was the first resort our kids have ever said that they did NOT want to go to kids club (4 & 5 yo) ... and they are not particularly precious kids.

Food at the restaurants was a little lacking for the price. The "club sandwich" at the pool side bar was quite honestly inedible, but on the positive side the steaks at the grill were well cooked and sizable ... it would have been nice if they had a set of sides other than potatoes or chips though. Ivi was lovely food, although the service was somewhat lacking.

The pool was a little cool but fantastic fun with the kids. They loved the rocks and the layout. The kids also absolutely adored the beach and exploring for Hermit crabs around the rocks. They had a great time overall and even though we had to drag them to kids club a few times, they did enjoy that as well.

Look I could go on, but I'm not sure it would serve any purpose. A few words of advice. The main hotel rooms are A LONG way from the beach so you need to drag everything with you, get a Bure, preferably a beach front one, this was great. Be prepared for a 1:15hr bus ride from the airport to the resort ... it is a fair distance from Nadi.

I know this sounds very negative, and we did have a good stay, it just wasn't a "GREAT" stay compared to other places.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are a long way from the beach, the Beach front Bure's are definitely the best ch...
3 Thank James H
Dear James H
Bula and Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am obviously disappointed that my team failed to deliver a holiday experience that Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is famous for – Please accept my most humble apologies. As you have stated it was a “good” holiday but not great. We are all about providing great holidays. I will personally investigate the issues raised in your commentary.
James H, Once again I apologise for this lack of service.'

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ended our wedding and honeymoon trip in Fiji. We spent a lot of time looking at different hotel options. Denarau was our first area of focus, but we ultimately decided against it due to the fact it was a man-made island and very touristy. We were going to be on our honeymoon and wanted to see a different part of Fiji in a romantic setting. We settled on the Outrigger as I had many positive experiences at the Outrigger hotels in Hawaii. We read the reviews and saw so much positivity online. We knew the hotel was quite a distance from Nadi, but it could not deter us. Unfortunately, the experience did not live up to expectations.

We arrived late but were warmly greeted by staff and had a nice honeymoon surprise in the bedroom with beads and the traditional Fijian attire. The room was a little dated, but we were excited nevertheless.

The next day, we started to notice some things that would become themes for the hotel. We had thought that this would be a better destination for a honeymoon than the Denarau hotels. Wow, were we wrong. Literally, 85-90% of the people at the hotel were families. Most of the remaining percentage were wedding parties. I think we saw maybe 2-3 other couples like us. This led to lots of noise and either a party or family atmosphere. The adult pool was always swimming with partyers (if you could find a place to sit), while the general pool was always crazy. I even got hit in the head by a tennis ball, prompting the person next to me to say I should go to the adult pool. Little did she know we just came from there. We just wanted to relax but it was always a chore.

The room ended up being a problem. The age of the room really showed at times. The air conditioning vent rattled so much when the air was on that we never could keep it on. We asked staff to address it but it went ignored. The bathroom setup was also odd, where you could walk through the closet to get inside. We were also placed near the front entrance of the resort, so we were woken up early every morning to the screams of "Bula" from the guard gate attendant. This would go on all day, so forget about getting any restful sleep. Literally, every 5 minutes, we would hear it. Not so romantic.

The staff was hit or miss. We met some of the loveliest people who worked for the hotel, especially some of those we met at a reception we were graciously invited to. Unfortunately, we also came across some disappointing behavior. We had a worker who ignored our "Do not disturb" sign and repeatedly attempted to check the minibar at 9:00 am. Even after opening the door, he insisted on coming in - even though I told him we were sleeping. We have other examples of being ignored or being dismissed, but I won't nitpick.

The internet arrangement was really bad. We literally could not connect the entire trip via wifi. Also, in order to use the lobby computers, you needed to buy something from the coffee shop. The internet was abysmal at best and the computers either could not connect or had keyboards that would not register specific letters. Really really sad.

Also, this leads to another quick point. We knew the hotel would be expensive, but it seemed like they went out of their way to nickel and dime you. Paying for coffee just to access horrible internet, charging a percentage for any credit card use, etc. it just seemed a little much.

What was most disappointing for us and ended up really clouding our trip was the final day. As mentioned we arrived very late our first night and had asked about a late check outs we had a late flight home and wanted extra time to hang out and shower. We were told we would have to pay a fee per hour, but we were ok with it. Unfortunately, we were told that we had to be out by 11 am, no exceptions. We ended up having to roam the grounds with a half packed bag, and shower in a really subpar "locker room" that smelled like urine. Not ideal at all. They acted like it would be easy, but it was just a huge weight on us and left a really bad taste in our mouth.

On a positive note, we did enjoy the food and loved the options available to us. The beach was nice and the spa was the best I have visited. Absolutely stunning sunsets, too.

By luck, we ended up getting an extra night in Fiji and we stayed at the Westin in Denarau. We had such an amazing time there and was exactly what we were looking for. We just wished we stayed there.

Overall, we made the best of our trip but we would not stay at the Fiji Outrigger again. If you are looking for romantic, definitely look elsewhere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rocke031
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear rocke031
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
I apologise that you found the resort too busy for your liking! Unfortunately the time of your travel was over the Australian school holidays, hence the large number of children. To be honest I do not think Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was the perfect fit for you. I also manage another resort called Castaway Island I personally believe that this would have been better suited for your requirements. I apologise for the issues you encountered with the mini bar attendant. I have addressed this issue with our food and beverage managers and I assure you that all of our staff will undertake further training on room protocol! I was somewhat surprised by your comments regarding your accommodation. We refurbish our rooms on a yearly basis and only just recently new beds and rugs were placed in most of our rooms. I also apologise that we were unable to extend to you a late checkout – The resort is currently running at 100% occupancy and we need to ensure that rooms are ready for our arrival guests. I was disappointed to read your comments stating that the resort was taking advantage of our guests. It should be noted that all of the activities at the resort are free. We also offer free Kids Club, yoga, meditation, pool aerobics, water sports and those guests with children we also offer free Kids Club and free meals for children under 12. As you would have found out we also offer complimentary Talei butler service.
We are currently in the process of upgrading our internet facilities at the resort – This is a Fiji wide issue????
rocke031, Once again I apologise that your stay with us was not up to your standard. I assure you that we embrace all comments and that we take a proactive approach in resolving all areas of concern.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Amazing staff from Peter Hopgood, the General Manager to the baristas and cleaners. We had a fabulous stay as part of a family reunion (Australia & USA). My baby daughter (10 months old) was teething, and would only go to 1 staff member who wasn't a nanny. Understandably, this required special permission which was arranged, which allowed us to have a break. There was so much kindness shown, the children's meals were amazing and high quality - and there was sufficient choice to ensure that one could find suitable food. Wish the weather had been a bit more co-operative but that is beyond the resort's control! They do their best even when this becomes a factor. Had some memorable chats with many of the resort staff - including one about history and archeology. Don't make any assumptions - there are many interesting and talented (and kind, most importantly) people that work at this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Plantation Family Bure. Great space for four of us (including young children). We did...
1 Thank gpsnomad
Dear gpsnomad
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable family reunion and holiday experience at our beautiful resort.
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I was delighted that Kessa from the coffee shop was able to take such good care of your 10 month old baby – As you found anything is possible, all you have to do is ask!
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants – It is easy to understand why they are rated as the best in the South Pacific – refer reviews of Ivi Restaurant.
gpsnomad, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had a lovely and relaxed stay with Outrigger. There are several drinking and dining options within the resort and it's also close to Sunset Strip and Sigatoka when you feel like getting out for awhile. We enjoyed the comfortable room to return to and were treated wonderfully by all the staff. The surprise visit one night by our room keeper and musicians to sing happy birthday and brought me a slice of cake was very special and memorable. It is a happy place, with a superb breakfast banquet, good coffee and close to public transport and taxi's if you wish to explore beyond the resort. We took an enjoyable visit from here to the Lawai Pottery Village, also recommend a short walk to the lovely Kula Eco Park nearby. When i return, i would prefer to stay in a bure, especially a seaview bure. Do venture up to the Kalokalo bar for the view and a lovely cocktail.

Room Tip: i would recommend pay a bit more for a bure to enjoy a more private and atmospheric stay
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W
Dear Elaine W
As you found out the Fijians love a celebration – I was delighted to read that they celebrated your birthday in fine style! Thank you for your comments in relation to the dining options at the resort – we have some of the best restaurants in all of Fiji.
Elaine W, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,022 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!