“Place is awesome...”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Could not of had a better time while chilling along the Coral Coast. The staff is super friendly especially the manager of the adult pool and his staff. Highly recommend this place! Be sure to purchase the breakfast plan really comes in handy and is well worth it. Big up's to the man who ran the omelet station, it was delicious

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear RyanC55
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I will most definitely share your comments with Jack Johnson, the manager of the Vahavu pool bar.
RyanC55, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Good hotel with the best spa I think in Fiji up the hill behind the hotel overlooking the hotel and ocean.
Spa has no front wall so each room has a infinity view while you get your treatment it is a must

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank BeanieFiji

Dear BeanieFiji
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a memorable experience. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. How good is our Bebe Spa? The views are to die for and the treatments are even better. Last year Bebe Spa was voted the number one International spa at the Pevonia Spa awards and it was also recognized as the Best Resort Spa in Australia and the South Pacific at the Australasian Spa awards.
BeanieFiji, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just back from 7 nights at the Outrigger - what a brilliant place for a holiday. We stayed there 5 years ago and enjoyed it so much we decided to come back. Once again, we weren't disappointed - the food is amazing, the drinks are cold, and the whole place has a really relaxed feel to it. In total agreement with some of the other reviews though, it is the staff that makes this place somewhere you want to come back to again. They all go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to accommodate every request, and somehow they remember everyone's names! Special thanks to the team down at the Vahavu adults pool and bar - Amena, Waisale, Epi, Susana, Vani and Mere all took care of us while we were there, supplying us with great conversation, cocktails and snacks.
While the food is of high quality at all the restaurants, we definitely recommend trying out Ivi restaurant for some mouth-watering fine dining. We wish we had gone more than once - won't make that mistake next time!
Some of the shops may be a little over-priced, but it is a resort after all. And the food (for the quality you get) is actually very well-priced compared to a lot of restaurants in NZ. You can drink the local beers and spirits for similar to NZ pub prices, and it's always fun to splash out on cocktails (especially when the bar staff make up their own delicious concoctions!). And we've never found the same level of friendly, accurate service in NZ or Australia - that makes all the difference.
Perfect place for groups, families with kids, or for a couple who just want to relax at the adults pool bar.

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean view rooms are on the top floor with great views from the balcony
2  Thank frankynz
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear frankynz
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort! It is easy to understand why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted as the “Number One Family Resort” in all of Australia and the South Pacific at the recent Trip Advisor “Traveler’s Choice” awards. As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the world. I will most definitely copy your comments onto the team at Vahavu pool bar. How good are the restaurants at the resort? As you have detailed in your commentary, there is plenty of choice and the quality is outstanding! Ivi is also my favorite restaurant.
frankynz, we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

we stayed 10 days at the Outrigger in an ocean view room on top floor of hotel and the view was spectacular.......service to our room was great as were the staff at the resort. Food at the restaurants was great, café was great and room service was good as well. It is a large resort set on the coral coast right on the beach which is great in the morning at high tide but the afternoon you are better off in the pools - there is a large pool for everyone or a separate pool just for adults with pool bar. I could not say anything bad about the place it's great for adults and kids so everyone is catered for.....we actually did quite a few activities outside the resort like the fly line (flying fox) in the rainforest and the jetski safari amongst other things........There is also an eco-park across from the hotel which has the cutest reptiles for you to hold and enjoy it was fantastic.......the Fijian people are the most loveliest and friendly people so go there and enjoy Bula!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Georgia566

Dear Georgia566
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday experience at our beautiful resort.
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I will most definitely share your comments with our teams. I was delighted to read that you took advantage of the many and varied activities outside the resort – Seriously there is so much to do!
Georgia566, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Thank you Outrigger for another amazing holiday.

We returned last night from an 8 night stay at this beautiful place.

Once again the food and cocktails were out of this world but what truly makes this place stand out from all the rest is the staff. Returning after visiting 3 years ago I was so happy to see so many of the same staff working at the Outrigger. Ana S, Asena, Sisila all beautiful welcoming wonderful people.

This time we stayed in a Plantation Bure and by goodness we were so impressed. Spacious rooms that also gave us a grassed area outside for our children to play.

The weather was dreadful whilst we were there however we still had a holiday to remember.

The one and only negative thing I have to say is that we were again so disappointed that the Farewell Song was not sung to us on our last day. This was missed on our last trip to Outrigger too and we were so looking forward to it this time as everyone else seemed to have this song sung to them. What was especially disappointing is that many of the staff knew it was our last day there too. Nothing major I know but the children especially were really looking forward to hearing this song sung to us.

Overall though a wonderful family holiday again and we will definitely be back again. Hopefully we will get the same bure again next time.

Vinaka.

Room Tip: Plantation Bures are beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thejays12
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear thejays12
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort - our staff make all of the difference!
I sincerely apologise that our staff failed to sing the isa lei departure song on your last morning at the resort – I will most definitely follow up with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Thejays12, besides this unfortunate occurrence, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This place is just so lovely, we wish we had stayed here instead of moving onto Matamanoa!

We booked this resort to have our wedding, and it was perfect. The venues are just stunning and the staff are so helpful and are great at their jobs. The whole day ran smoothly and felt like something out of a movie.

We ate at the Sundowner a few times for breakfast and dinner, the breakfast was nice but pretty much the same as what you get at the buffet. Dinner was lovely though, I had the margarita pizza and it was divine. We had breakfast at the buffet every other morning, this was great, the selection was amazing and so much variety. It all tasted delicious. Well worth how much it costs considering you could eat enough to fill you up until dinner time.We had a dinner down at the Baravi at this was very nice, I ordered the butter chicken and my partner ordered the green curry, both were so good, especially the butter chicken. We had lunch at the main pool bar, I had a chicken ceasar salad and it was spectacular, they made all the meals so quickly and everyone loved what they ordered. We had the romantic dinner at the private bure as a part of the package, catered by the Ivi, my goodness, this was amazing!

The rooms are very nice as well, we had the deluxe rooms but we had the block down the bottom so our views were sublime! And it was easy walking around everywhere but if your legs get tired the staff will call a buggy straight away.

The whole resort has such charm and class, it is worth the money, I personally didn't find the prices very expensive at all, on par with Australian resorts that aren't even 5 star.

We will definitely be back, hopefully for our one year anniversary!

1  Thank HolidayLovers2207

Dear HolidayLovers2207
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am absolutely delighted that we could provide you and your husband with such a memorable wedding and holiday experience! As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort is our amazing staff. I was pleased to read that your wedding went so well! Thank you for your comments in relation to our restaurants – It is easy to understand why our restaurants are voted as the best in Fiji.
HolidayLovers2207 – Once again we thank you for your comments - We all look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, at some time in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let me start by saying, if you are visiting this as part of a group, a wedding, a birthday party or conference ... you'll have a ball. An expensive one, but still a fun time.

I stay at a lot of resorts around the world for business, 4 in the last year alone in Indonesia, Morocco, Malaysia and Mexico. If you are thinking of coming as a solo family I would humbly suggest that a lengthy stay here might be a bit too much. In retrospect we should have stayed here for a few days and then moved on somewhere else. 10 days was too long.

This is a resort which (while we were there) had two or three large groups staying at any given time and at least one wedding per day. That is fine, but the problem was that the groups tend to dominate. They take over sections of the pool, take over the bars at night, dont really socialise outside their group (why would they?) and that makes it difficult for a solo family to interact.

A few things of note:
At a resort you should feel important ... especially when you are staying in the best room for a lengthy stay (10 days). The resort manager often walked around the resort, but I never once saw him taking to a guest, let alone us. We had to request our farewell song be played on our last night or it would not have happened (our kids were wondering about it) ... I mean come on?! The staff often looked the other way when talking or orders as if there was somewhere else they needed to be ... No we didn't feel important. We felt if you weren't one of the big wedding groups you were an after thought.Consolation to this was the butlers we had, Tave and Lusia were fantastic! Some of the Bar staff were good too, but I did wonder if their rapid service was as much to do with them selling as many drinks as possible as it was being polite ... perhaps that is just the cynic in me ;)

The internet was patchy at best and expensive. During the day we had virtually no internet in our room at all and elsewhere it was incredibly slow and "laggy" especially at peak times. At night it was OK if you went somewhere you could get good reception ... Sometimes. At least half the time it wouldn't connect, on any device!

At one point the hammock rope outside our Bure broke (due to excessive wear) while my daughter was on it. She fell but was uninjured. It was promptly fixed and handled with appropriate concern by the manager but the promised incident report never eventuated indicating that so long as no one was injured and you were not going to be sued... You didn't seem to care to learn from the experience.

At night a creepy guy walks in front of each Bure with a torch taking notes of everything outside the front ... glad I wasnt on my honeymoon! I asked him about it one night and he said he was counting shoes and clothes left outside ... why? did they get stolen (not good) was because people staying claimed things were stolen when they were not (not my kind of clientelle)?

The "Adults" pool is open from 9am until 5pm only ... but the kids club is open from 10-12, 2-4 and 6-9 ... this means that if you have kids there is no real way you can have lunch there (unless it is an early lunch or you put your kids with a mei mei.). Note this was the first resort our kids have ever said that they did NOT want to go to kids club (4 & 5 yo) ... and they are not particularly precious kids.

Food at the restaurants was a little lacking for the price. The "club sandwich" at the pool side bar was quite honestly inedible, but on the positive side the steaks at the grill were well cooked and sizable ... it would have been nice if they had a set of sides other than potatoes or chips though. Ivi was lovely food, although the service was somewhat lacking.

The pool was a little cool but fantastic fun with the kids. They loved the rocks and the layout. The kids also absolutely adored the beach and exploring for Hermit crabs around the rocks. They had a great time overall and even though we had to drag them to kids club a few times, they did enjoy that as well.

Look I could go on, but I'm not sure it would serve any purpose. A few words of advice. The main hotel rooms are A LONG way from the beach so you need to drag everything with you, get a Bure, preferably a beach front one, this was great. Be prepared for a 1:15hr bus ride from the airport to the resort ... it is a fair distance from Nadi.

I know this sounds very negative, and we did have a good stay, it just wasn't a "GREAT" stay compared to other places.

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are a long way from the beach, the Beach front Bure's are definitely the best ch...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank James H

Dear James H
Bula and Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I am obviously disappointed that my team failed to deliver a holiday experience that Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is famous for – Please accept my most humble apologies. As you have stated it was a “good” holiday but not great. We are all about providing great holidays. I will personally investigate the issues raised in your commentary.
James H, Once again I apologise for this lack of service.'

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!