“Beautiful Resort, Beautiful staff”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful Resort, Beautiful staff”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our family (2 adults and 2 children 8 & 11) stayed at The Outrigger in June this year for 3 days. After travelling from the small relaxed resort of Castaway Island, we were concerned that this large resort may be a little overwhelming and less personal. We couldn't have been more wrong! From the moment we were welcomed at the gate with a big "BULA" and the welcoming arrival at the reception, all the staff were amazing!
We were honoured to be invited to the Manager's cocktail party in the beautiful Kalokalo Bar atop of the Bebe spa. This was a fabulous, fun evening where we got to meet and mingle with several of the resort staff. For us, the reason that we will keep returning to Fiji is for the wonderful, friendly people who make you feel so welcome. I feel that one of Outriggers biggest strengths lies in the value they place on their staff and providing a happy work environment, as this was evident when talking with the staff and management and learning about the operations of the resort.
The deluxe Ocean View rooms were great with stunning views over the Coral Coast. The gardens were beautiful and the pool area was great. The toilets around the pool area could do with a refurb but this is the only area I could fault.
The Bebe spa was magnificent and is a must for all. The views from the spa are amazing and the massage and the whole experience is just fantastic.
There were always lots of fun activities going on around the resort which made it great for families. Did not get to go to the adult pool but this looked like a beautiful, relaxed place to be if you want some peace and quiet.
Breakfast buffet was great with always lots of variety on offer. We ate dinner all 3 nights at the Sundowner. The food was great and the service was always fantastic. Make sure you book early.
We did the heli transfer combo with Castaway Island which was a great deal too.
Hope to be back to stay at the Outrigger sometime soon.

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean View rooms with Talai Butler service are great.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear SuzanneK
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort!
As you found out, we are blessed with the friendliest staff that you will find anywhere in the world - I will most definitely share your comments with our team! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the beautiful gardens that our gardens team so lovingly maintain at the resort. I also thank you for your comments on our restaurants and the stunning Bebe Spa. As you have stated a spa treatment is a must! The combo holiday of Castaway Island and Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is becoming very popular with our guests – I am most fortunate that I get to manage both resorts!
SuzanneK, once again we thank you for your comments - all of my team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (953)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Can only say that this resort is excellent in every aspect. The room was excellent, absolutely spotless everyday. The ground were maintained to the highest standard. The restaurant food was always delicious and promptly served. The general attention by all staff was first class, I would say that the staff are so sincere in wanting to help you and make sure your stay is perfect, absolutely no issues with even one staff member being less that hospitable. I have stayed and many resorts and this is up there with any of them. I would stay here anytime I return to Fiji. We travelled with 20 people and every single person in the group was equally happy and echo the same thoughts. We went on several day trips and all were professionally run and highly entertaining.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank OzTraveller99
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear OzTraveller99
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
As you found out, we are blessed with the friendliest staff that you will find anywhere in the world - I will most definitely share your comments with our team! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the beautiful gardens that our gardens team so lovingly maintain at the resort. I also thank you for your comments on our restaurants.
OzTraveller99, once again we thank you for your comments - all of my team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

A good resort to visit. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Everywhere you go you can here a loud, friendly "Bula!". When we visited it rained which impacted on the stay. The beach is not great but it is OK.

The pool is great and there are lots of fun activities.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 227Sam
Dear 227Sam
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort - our staff make all of the difference!
I sincerely apologise for the rainy weather but to be honest we needed it!
227Sam, besides this unfortunate occurrence, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Great resort, about an hour away from Nandi airport by car.
Great swimming pool it's huge. Spa was amazing on top of the hill, a must if you go! Food was lovely. Rooms were nice, plenty of room, beds comphy.
Lovely resort!

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Naomi S
Dear Naomi S
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I also thank you for your comments regarding the Bebe Spa – It is easy to understand why our spa is rated as the “Best International Resort Spa” in the South Pacific.
Naomi S, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Tallebudgera, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Bula.We attended a friends wedding at the Outrigger on the Lagoon and then stayed for a week to enjoy a very relaxing holiday. The wedding was absolutely beautiful, it took place in the hill top chapel and the views were spectacular, the ceremony and vows very special and of course the bridal couple just beautiful! The reception was also fantastic with amazing food and venue.
The accommodation at Outrigger is very nice, we were in deluxe ocean view room, it has a shower over the bath but this was fine with me because the shower pressure was strong and gave a good massage. The bed was a king size with a nice soft mattress, lovely and comfortable, slept very well. We loved the tallai butler service each afternoon at about 5pm when we were brought complimentary champagne and canapés. There was also a good choice of restaurants or meal package of breakfast, lunch and dinner vouchers that can be bought in advance and used at any of the restaurants. Theme nights are held regularly at the Vale ni kana restaurant and we enjoyed many mouthwatering buffet meals in this impressive Bure, an excellent variety of delicious seasonal fruits too. The staff are some of the most pleasing, friendly, kind hearted, welcoming people that you will ever have the pleasure to meet....we can't say enough about how highly we regard the care and pampering we were shown by the staff at Outrigger.

Room Tip: Bure on the beach would be nice for couples. People without children should avoid rooms close to mai...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nola P
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Nola P
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a memorable experience. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. How good are the restaurants at the resort – lots of choice and of the highest quality!
Nola P, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just spent a week at the Outrigger and couldn't have asked for a better holiday experience! From the moment we drove in the front gate to a 'booming' Bula welcome until our last day when we were treated to the traditional 'farewell song' at the amazing Ivi restaurant, we enjoyed the wonderful Fijian hospitality that made our stay so special.

We stayed in a lovely traditional bure which had a vaulted ceiling lined with traditional Fijian artwork and a rope hammock hanging on the front verandah - perfect for reading or an afternoon snooze! Every evening, we were brought two glasses of champagne and a canape and when we returned from dinner each night, we found our bed turned back (with a flower on it!) and a tray with two liqueurs (a different one each night) and two miniature desserts. Such a nice touch!

The gardens were absolutely immaculate with lovely streams flowing throughout. And the food!! We tried every restaurant in the resort and were never disappointed! We were also lucky enough to have a cooking demonstration with the beautiful and talented Priya from the Ivi Restaurant. We've already recreated her recipes since our return home - maybe not quite as spectacular as hers!

The Bebe Spa was also amazing - the views were spectacular (set high on the hill overlooking the Pacific) and so was my treatment there. We also indulged in a high tea in the restaurant there which I would highly recommend!

There were heaps of tours on offer but, because we were only there for one week (and really needed some R&R), we only went on one - a snorkeling trip on the Whale's Tale sailing schooner which didn't disappoint.

All the staff were amazing - Ana in the poolside restaurant was just gorgeous and Varanisese in the coffee bar always put a smile on our face. And we would have loved to have had a cooking class with Priya every day!! One suggestion...it would have been great to have been able to buy a cookbook that included some of the lovely recipes from the Outrigger restaurants!

Thanks to all the wonderful staff and management that made our holiday so wonderful!

Room Tip: The bures to the side of the main pool are in a convenient, but quiet, location.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Patty C
Dear Patty C
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience at our beautiful resort.
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I will most defiantly share your comments with Ana, Vara and Priya.
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants – It is easy to understand why they are rated as the best in the South Pacific – refer reviews of Ivi Restaurant.
Patty C, Once again we thank you for your comments - All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Regards
Devonport, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had spent 5 nights at the Westin Denarau before our visit to the Outrigger so we were in a position to compare both resorts. We have also been to Fiji 4 times in 4 years to other resorts and islands.
Our visit was coloured by the first few hours after arrival. After our transfer dropped us off we proceeded to check in which went well until our credit card was needed for a deposit. Before leaving Australia we informed our bank that our cards would be used in Fiji and we made sure we had adequate credit on them. The person checking us in on the morning of Saturday 26th July informed us that our card was declined. We tried all our other cards which were also declined. The reception person told us they would therefore need to have a cash deposit which we provided; it took almost all our cash. We were both very concerned about our credit cards and when we got to the room tried to connect to the internet to check our bank accounts, but could not because our credit card was not connected to our room as we had used a cash deposit. After another conversation with the same person on reception, she informed me that if I brought something at the café, I would get free internet for 30 minutes. I had very little cash with it being taken as a deposit but was just able to purchase a can of lemonade, which I then proceeded to check my bank account on the internet. This proved our credit card had the funds. Two frantic phone calls back to Australia from our room at our expense, we were told by our bank that there had actually been no transactions on our credit cards so it could not have been declined because there had been no transaction attempted; our bank said that the fault was with the terminal in the hotel. My husband and I proceeded to the reception, the person who checked us in, saw us coming and disappeared into the back office at reception and we spoke with another receptionist who told us in fact the terminal which our cards were tried on was down and it seemed to be a regular thing! We said we wanted our cash back and our cards used for deposit. There was a lot of heated talk in Fijian amongst the person we dealt with initially who had reappeared and the second person which we found quite rude as we do not understand Fijian, it seemed obvious that they were referring to us. The first person slapped our cash on the counter in an aggressive manner. Our credit cards were run through another machine (why wasn’t that tried in the first place!). This experience caused my husband and I a lot of stress and left a nasty taste. We were in a Fiji, we were told we had no credit on our cards and she took all our cash, how vulnerable would you feel in this situation?
Pros:
Beautiful grounds, well maintained.
We loved the adult pool and were pleased to see staff enforced the Adults only rule unlike other resorts we have been to. We spent most of our time here. The wait staffs were very good.
Meals were plentiful and good variety at Vale Ni kana, well prepared and cooked. Breakfasts were plentiful also and a good variety. We enjoyed the themed buffets very much. We also enjoyed our visits to the Sundowner restaurant for lunch and dinner. Wait staff were pleasant and friendly and did their best to give us a nice quiet table each day at both restaurants.
Both Butlers (Eperama and Jone) we had were very good, very professional and always asked us if there was anything we needed. They gave us good ideas for entertainment in the resort.
Great views from our room 736 and a very comfortable bed.
The views from the Bebe Spa were amazing and spectacular. Kalokalo restaurant again the views were just fantastic.
Cons:
I would like to know how you are rated 5 star? Who rates you or are you self-rated?
Ocean view room was dated considering you are supposed to be a 5 star hotel in our opinion this means no shower over a bath, good bed linen and towels.
Maid service: even though we were out of our room most of the day and had the ‘Maid service’ sign up we never seemed to be able to get our room serviced until the afternoon. On the day of the carnival we made sure we were up and out of our room by 8.30 am with the sign up, we came back at 3.30 pm to find our room had not been serviced but the maid service were in the next room to ours. We waited and waited for them to service our room, by then it was 4.15 pm and they had finished the next room. We were obviously forgotten about. My husband went to find them as we were waiting to get ready to go out again. He was told they would be there shortly, there was still no sign of them so I went to find them, spoke to I think a supervisor and she said they would be along. It was 4.45 pm by the time they had arrived, they made the bed gave us fresh towels, a cursory sweep of the room and were gone by 5 pm! Most unsatisfactory all round!
The internet: What can I say, high speed it is not. I purchased a weeks’ worth so I could keep contact with my small business and family members. For the first 4 days I could not get connected for more than 5 minutes before it disconnected. I rang Global Gossips several times (7 on the room phone) who told me it was a coverage problem. I spoke to reception who said they would speak to their technicians and get them to phone me back (which they never did). I did make a stand on checking out and was refunded some of the $100 I paid for the week’s internet which was the right thing to do for a sub- standard service.
It is very rude at reception for receptionists to converse with one another in their language whilst checking in and checking out hotel clients. Not to mention unprofessional!! We found the staff elsewhere around the resort just lovely, friendly and more than helpful, it is your reception staff that let you down.
We are very glad we came, but would we come back again? I really don’t think so. Would we recommend you? Not sure, maybe to families with children.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank LindaC11
Dear LindaC11
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. I sincerely apologise that we have failed in this mission. As you have stated one minor incident or one staff member, by not doing their job correctly can spoil a holiday. I assure you that we take your feedback seriously and we have taken the appropriate action with the relevant staff members to rectify all areas of concern! Our policy is to only speak English in front of our guests. It was totally unacceptable that the staff communicated in Fijian.
Our room are serviced between 10.00am and 4.00pm daily – Should guests require a specific time for their room to be serviced then we can make these arrangements. We are also in the process of upgrading up IT connectivity.
LindaC11, I thank you for your comments! Once again I sincerely apologise that we failed to meet the quality of service that our beautiful resort is renowned for.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!