“Fantastic!!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Melbourne
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2006

My husband and our 18mth old son stayed for 5days and had a great time at the Outriggers. The drinks on arrival was so refreshing for us especially after a long flight with our son and having to endure a 1.5hr bus ride to the hotel. When we got there our rooms where ready and waiting. We where greeted by such friendly staff.

The pool layout was great. There was enough chairs to go round. My son absolutely loved the pool. Although the spa does need a bit of an improvement. I was a bit disappointed with the beach. There is just coral everywhere. You definitely need shoes walk on the beach. But Hey, It ain't called the Coral Coast for no reason!

The food was very average. They have no idea how to make a good pizza. i have to say the cost was very expensive. For the 2 of us Breakfast was FJD$70 and dinner FJD$100. On our 2nd day we discovered that there are 2 cafes just next to the Outriggers further down the beach (2min walk). They have Johnnys Taxi Service as well and they are half the price of that at the Outriggers!

We stayed in the Deluxe ocean view room. It was so lovely to wake up in the morning and have this beautiful, peaceful view of the beach. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Our rooms are always clean by the time we got back from breakfast.

Overall our holiday was great. The people are friendly and always smiling. You will definitely see me there again!

• Liked — Service, Friendliness of the staff. Well maintained room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Dare to explore
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank Endlessspirit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2006

We have just returned from what was supposed to be an 11 night stay at Outrigger with our 2 children aged 14 & 16.
We went on a 3 day/2 night Blue Lagoon cruise first which was fantastic, and made what happened next even worse by comparison. The first thing that happened was we were picked up from the cruise and taken, not to Outrigger, as expected, but to Nadi airport, where we were told that due to a "computer error" Outrigger was over-booked for that night and we would be accomomodated at the Fijiian Hotel, which was on the way to Outrigger on the Coral Coast. We were offered "compensation" for this inconvenience of breakfast at the Fijiian and $60 each for the 4 of us for dinner. After ringing our travel agent, we accepted this, having been assured our rooms would be ready the next day. Of course, this meant that we "lost" a day effectively as we couldn't unpack and relax until we got to the Outrigger. Also, we had a dispute with the Fijiian on departure about precisely what the "compensation" covered, which was ultimately resolved in our favour, (without help from Outrigger) but gave us a taste of the hassles to come.
When we arrived at the Outrigger we were only 4 of about 30 people in the same position - whose rooms were not ready. In fact, there is a level in the main building with double bed-sized sofas where family groups and couples who had arrived hours earlier were lying waiting for rooms which should have been ready to be made available to them. I spoke to some people who had been waiting 10-12 hours! This was a common feature on various days throughout our stay.
One of our rooms was ready soon after we arrived, but not the other, and the 2 rooms we were given initially were not what we had booked i.e. an interconnecting double and a twin but 2 adjacent double rooms, one with a sofa bed, which meant one of our children did not have a proper bed. I had to go to the resort manager to get this sorted out. Ultimately, he agreed to move us 2 days later to the inter-connecting double/twin rooms we had booked and paid for. So the first day at Outrigger was a dead loss as we spent the morning checking out of the Fijiian and travelling to Outrigger, then waiting for one room to be ready, then most of the afternoon waiting for the 2nd room to be ready. We didn't actually get into the rooms we had booked until 3 days after we should have.
As to the rooms, they were ok - but definitely not 5 star -maybe 3.5 (Outrigger advertises itself as "Fiji's first 5 star resort"). The service was patchy too. Often the bath towels would be taken by the daily room service, but not replaced due to the fact (we were told) problems with the laundry meant none were available. This also happened with the pool/beach towels supplied through the Activities Centre. Often the complimentary shampoo etc were not replaced, in the rooms when used. The "Bula Bugle" which is supposed to be delivered to each room, every day, to advise of the next day's events, did not arrive half the time. And, possibly the most annoying thing of all, on the last 4 days we were there, the hot water just went off whilst one of us was in the shower!
To add injury to insult, my husband fell on the very slippery pavers when getting out of the (cold) spa. In fact, the whole pool surround was very slippery.
Ultimately, after protracted "negotiation" we did receive not insubstantial compensation for all our trouble and inconvenience, but frankly, I would rather have had the rooms and service we had booked and paid for supplied to us. The endless ongoing discussions with management meant that the holiday was far from the relaxing break we had hoped for.
Having read the other reviews on the website, I have to say I agree that food and drink in the resort was over-priced (one lady we met there said prices for everything had doubled since she was there the previous year-2005)- although not as expensive as the Fijiian, so probably par for the course.
Night-time entertainment was lacking, but after a full day in the sun, that was not important to us. Friendly Fijiian staff conducted pool aerobics, volley-ball, water polo etc every day, which our kids really enjoyed when they got into it. The level of enjoyment varied however, with who else was there, and I for one was rather unnerved at the sight of large and very competitive middle aged men throwing themselves aggressively at young teenage girls in a "social" water polo game in the pool- something the Fijiian staff seemed powerless to deal with. Some of the staff seemed jaded, but we became fond of a few we got to know, who displayed the famous Fijiian warmth and friendliness.
The gardens of the resort are absolutely lovely and very well-kept, but as others have said, the beach is small and disappointing and frequently closed due to wind. The lagoon is so shallow that snorkelling/kayaking can only be allowed at high tide for a couple of hours a day, so the lagoon is more something to look at rather than a place for recreation most of the time. I doubt we would go back to the Outrigger after all the hassle we had - I'd be too worried it would happen again.

• Liked — It was in Fiji
  • Disliked — Problems with booking and room service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't risk it
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank AdelaideTravellers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

Thoroughly enjoyed the Outrigger.

The staff were extremely pleasant, sometimes a little slow, but very nice and friendly to both adults and children.

The rooms, the pool, the restaurants were all superb. Drinks/meals very expensive. Definately recommend meal package. With the kids eating free, becomes well worth it.

Definately a place to just relax. Didn't feel there was much to do by way of structured activities. And definately, need to have activities lined up for wet weather.

Little supermarket 200 m on the beach, pick up drinks from there! Braiding also done there for a third of the price of the resort.

Great for families, - catered very well for specific needs and diets.

Made a 40th birthday very special!

Stayed July 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Zealand, Bay of Plenty
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2006

We escaped the cold and miserable winter weather. My mother and my 9mth old and my pregnant self (7mths) stayed at the Outrigger for 5 nights. Overall we had a very relaxing time (if I had of known my mother snored I would have taken ear plugs). The resort was very well set up for families like us. Breakfast was enjoyable as once I had finished feeding the baby one of the Fijian ladies would walk around the resturant with her until we had finished ours. I was impressed that they had all the baby equipment, high chairs and porter cots. I took a large kiwi explorer over and that was fine to use around the resort and on the beach, however if going shopping in near by towns a smaller push chair would have made things easier (getting through doorways). The resort was beautiful, great for taking long walks around or just relaxing by the pool. I could sit by the edge of the pool with Jasmine while she played in the shallow end, usually there were a few Fijian men singing and playing guitars. It really did feel that you were in a tropical place.

Before I went I checked out other reviews and my main concern was the cost, the reviews are not wrong. If you don't leave the resort for meals it can get quite expensive, if you don't have children you could easily go and explore other options. But the holiday experience out weighed the cost, you are on holiday and staying in a 5 star resort so it is going to cost. Breakfast $26.00 FJ Cooked $32FJ, you could skip lunch and dinners: Sundowner bar (pizza bar) $16-20 Salads $18-26, Desserts $11-$18. Main restaurant Mains $20-31.

I'm looking forward to returning to the Outrigger with my husband and children, as it is so well set up + they have the kids club for 3years and over, Kids eat free. So it makes a wonderful family holiday destination.

• Stayed June 2006
14 Thank KathNZ007
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2006

outrigger was undescribable. never had a holiday as good. the service was awesome. all the staff were so helpful and friendly. theres no way you'd walk to breakfast without at least 3 of them giving us a great big 'BULA!' the rooms and the grounds including the pools and beach are so well looked after and they catered to every need. the restaurants were the best ive ever tasted i was amazed. i would recommend this resort to everyone- families, with older and small children, teens, couples etc. i wouldnt go any where else it will be a place ill never forget

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2006

If you just wanna kick back & relax its perfect & yes everything does run on fiji time so dont be [--] off if your drink doesn't arrive within 30 seconds. Great pool etc not much of a beach though but there's plenty of trips. We went to mala mala, the snorkeling was out of this world. Walk down to the beach turn right 100 m there's a cheaper bar & taxis, a trip into town is well worth a visit. The market is amazing lots of bartering, indians left over from the cane cutting days hope you enjoy as much as we did BULA OLA!!!!

Stayed March 2006
6 Thank kazzmacc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2006

My wife and I stayed at the outrgger for a week in May, we found the resort facilites pool and activiteis were great. The food is not cheap but not really all that unreasonable (I challenge anyone to find cheap good quality resort food anywhwere) as are the drinks. The accommodation on the other hand was no where near five star I wouldn't even rate it four star. The beds are just about the most uncomfortable beds I've slept in and woke up with sore back and neck everyday. We also stayed at the Sheraton Denarau Villas for a week and it's certainly worth every extra penny. The facilities and food were all clearly more impressive not to mention the accommodation. All in all we still enjoyed our stay at the Outrigger but I don't think I could return after experiencing Denarau Island.

• Stayed May 2006
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,969 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!