“Had a very relaxing week”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Had a very relaxing week”
Reviewed 1 September 2006

My wife and I stayed here for seven nights in August of 2006 as part of a round the world trip, and found the Outrigger to be very good.

We stayed in a bure which was beautiful inside and out. The bedroom was large with a huge bed, TV, sofa, table and chairs. There was plenty of wardrobe space and a safe. The bathroom was comfortable with a separate toilet and shower. The air conditioning was very effective and quiet. Fridges are provided empty for you to fill up yourself which was superb. Outside on the decking were two hammock style seats, which were great once you got used to them.

The restaurants are great and we found that the five-day meal voucher plan was value for money over our seven-day trip. Quite simply, the pizzas are gorgeous. As guests in a bure we had a butler who brought us complimentary champagne and canapés each night at about 5:30, and then when we got back after dinner there was a liqueur and sweet or chocolate snack waiting for each of us. Complimentary bottles of water are delivered with the turn down service, along with a copy of ‘The Bula Bugle’ which outlines the activities and weather forecast for the next day.

Reception is stunning. There are also two PCs for guests to use. Internet access is via a card which costs FJD$15 for 30 minutes.

The pool is enormous and there are plenty of sun beds, although not all have the soft cushions. Drinks are brought to your sun bed and everything in the resort can be room charged. We did not do any water sports but they seemed to be well organised and attended. The children’s club also seemed to be extremely well run.

At the resort we enjoyed watching the fire walking, taking part in a kava ceremony, betting on frogs at the International Frog Race, and being entertained by the local village choir.

We also spent a couple hours in Sigatoka, which was an FJD$18 return cab ride from the lobby. There really is very little to do, and it is quite dirty, but there is a lovely shop a few metres down from the police station which sells genuine fresh water pearl jewellery at bargain prices. We found it was brilliant for stocking up on very nice presents. It was run solely by local women, and the profits go to a women’s group. There is a good souvenir shop where the taxi will most likely drop you off, and next door to it is an OK café / restaurant which advertises itself as ‘Swiss owned’. Also, for your information, a 24-bottle box of Fiji Gold beer costs FJD$40 in Sigatoka at the supermarket, but they are sold in the hotel for FJD$6.50 each. A bottle of imported US or NZ wine at the supermarket is about FJD$18.

We had a few gripes which I’m reluctant to share as we really did enjoy ourselves. However, that’s what TripAdvisor is all about. When we arrived we were not able to check-in until nearly 4:00pm, having had to wait in reception for nearly four hours. Frustratingly, we were then shown to a twin room instead of a double room. This resulted in several phone calls with the duty manager, and then a move to the room we should have been allocated to at 7:30pm. This was not a great start, particularly as we were initially told that we would have to sleep in the first room for one night, and then move on our second day. Also, whilst the staff all greet you with a welcoming ‘bula’ at every opportunity, about half of them give off the impression that they seriously cannot be bothered doing any work or being interested in the needs of the guests – this was most noticeable in the main restaurant and reception. We were looking forward to the famous friendly service, but this was just not the case – if you want perfect service with a genuine smile forget Fiji and go to Thailand or Indonesia.

However, all in all, we would recommend the Outrigger highly.

Stayed August 2006
29 Thank luckystrike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2006

This is an excellent resort with nary a negative.

We stayed here for 7 days during July and we had an absolute fantastic stay. The staff are amazing, professional and always smiling. The rooms are spacious and although very cosmopolitan, comfortable to the n'th degree. The resort is landscaped in a jungle theme with so much greenery you could get lost between your room and the restaurants if it was'nt for the pathways. The food at the restaurants ranged from generic western fare to amazing buffets and local dishes. We would definitely be staying here again on our next sojourn to Fiji.

The only negative we can find is that the shower is an in-bath one and the rubber mat supplied for a non-slip surface can be deceptively slippery if not placed absolutely properly.

5 Thank sinnerman07
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2006

Truth be told, the Outrigger could be anywhere and you wouldn't know the difference. I'm not sure why anyone would fly more than a couple of hours to come here.

My wife and I booked the Outrigger for the second half of a two week vacation. The first week we spent at the Toberua island resort and it really exemplified the difference between a real Fijian vacation and the Outrigger.

We found that we actually did less at the Outrigger than at the smaller Toberua. As mentioned in another review, the Outrigger is really a poolside resort. There is huge competition for the sunny poolside benches. The beach is pretty much useless (less than 12 people were sitting on the beach at any given time). The lagoon, however, is pretty neat at low tide.

We were also alittle put off by the price for food at the Outrigger. We weren't the only ones, while at the reception desk we overheard another upset guest trying (to no avail) to convince the front desk to pay for a cab to send them into nearby Sigatoka for meals because the cost of food was so outrageous. My wife and I made the mistake of paying for the buffet breakfast (the only breakfast available at the resort) the first morning which cost FJ$32 (~US$20) per person, and at which my wife had some fruit and Muesli. We ended up eating lots of the relatively reasonably priced personal pizzas.

We didn't stay in a bure, but instead had a top floor hotel room. It was a hotel room. Many of the bures are oddly situated so that everyone on their way to meals or the pool have to pass right by the windows. There are a few bures (like 6) near the water and are relatively secluded.

It rained the last two days of our stay and it was even more obvious how little there was to do. Most of our hotel neighbors and us spent the days in our hotel rooms. My wife and I watched about 12 movies (2 free in-room movie channels) while we were there.

The Ecopark (costs a nominal amount) is pretty neat. Basically it's a tropical zoo. It was worth it just to see the sea turtles and iguanas and to walk through the canopy on a wooden trail.

My suggestion to anyone is to save your money and find another Fijian resort.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else.
  • Tips/Secrets — Unless you're trip is short and you're looking for a pool vacation, save money and just go some place else.
  • Stayed August 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank mmmbeerz
queensland, australia
Reviewed 13 August 2006

My family of four including our two children aged 8 & 10 yrs have just returned last week from seven nights staying at the Outrigger Fiji. We enjoyed our visit to Fiji very, very much and love the people as they are just so friendly although saying this we found some of the staff at the Outrigger only smiled because they felt they had to & even then they were strained smiles.

I will say though that other staff were just lovely, especially with our children. The children loved the kids club & kept wanting to go back again & again, they were kept amused & happy. One of the earlier reviews mentioned the cockaroaches & I must say this is correct. We were staying in a family bure which gave us plenty of room with two small children. The Bure's were clean enough but I had to leave a note for the cleaners to clean up a dead spider which had been on the bathroom floor for two days & we did find a few dead cockaroaches which is not what you expect to find staying in the Outriggers best and most expensive accomondation.

We were delivered bottled water every evening also champagne every afternoon with canapes (we did not eat any as they did not look very appealing). In the evenings they delivered a liqueur & pastry which was a lovely gesture.

There is three restaurants where the children can choose from the kids menu & each of the restaurants has different choices for the children which was great. We found not only the childrens food but also the adult meals very, very ordinary in the Vale Ni Kana restaurant, in fact I had to send one of my childrens hamburgers back as it was not cooked in the middle. The children also preferred not to eat in this restaurant. The Baravi Bar & Sundowner Bar were in my opinion the best food for adults and children. Yes, drinks are very expensive in the resort AUD$7 for a beer when in the shop next door to the resort we paid less than AUD$2.50. A nice glass of Australian wine costs AUD$10.00. We did buy a pack of 3 wines in duty free which was a good idea. Bottles of wine in the shop next door to the Outrigger cost approx AUD$22.00 each.

My daughter got her whole head of hair braided, short but thick hair done for AUD$36 next to the Outrigger by a lady called Paulini who has a stand next to a cafe/restaurant outside the Outrigger. Walk down to the beach at the Outrigger then turn right & approx 100 m on your right you will see a path that you take to find her. Lovely young lady who speaks very well & never hurt my daughter once during the 2hrs it took her to do her hair & it looked fabulous.

We did two tours, one was to Robinson Crusoe Island & we all had a fabulous day the best thing we did on our holiday for sure.
The staff were funny & very entertaining. If you have never been to fiji I recommend you do this tour. We got to see Fire Dancing & knife dancing. We also got to watch them cook food under ground (called Lovo) & then of course eat it. We were kept entertained all day. We also did a Captain Cook Cruise to Mystery Island on a sailing ship that use to be the Governors. The staff were nice and the trip out and back was very pleasant but that's it. We mainly went to go snorkelling but they expected everyone to walk quite a distance through sharp coral etc..to get to the edge of the reef in low tide. This was very unpleasant & the kids hated it including myself. Later we went out in the glass bottom boat which needed the glass to be repaired but nothing much to see anyway, certainly not worth going out to the Island for. Lunch was very ordinary.

Do not forget to take inscect repellant to Fiji, especially outside the family bures where more than once the kids got bitten badly.
The Outrigger has lovely gardens & pool but it is very commercial & expensive but I guess no more expensive than what you should expect from a top resort. We will not stay there again as it was too far from Nadi to do many day tours. Also our bus that picked us up at 5.30 am (3.30am Aust time) to bring us back to Nadi to catch our flight home got a flat tyre, luckily a couple of nice men got out of the bus to help the driver change the tyre. Many people have said to me the Fijians on the Islands are much friendlier & you get to see more of the real Fiji. Next visit I will look into going to the Plantation Resort but first I will read all the reviews on this website as I have found this most helpful.

Remember this resort is good for families & I do not recommend it for couples or young people looking for a party. We met one young couple who were totally bored for five days and said at least they got plenty of sleep. There is things to do but like any holiday you have got to want to get out and explore and do things.

Even though we went out of school holidays there was still plenty of children and lots of crying toddlers. It was impossible to get a place by the pool after 10.00am. I would hate to go to the Outrigger during school holidays, far too busy for my liking.

I asked on departure at reception if they had any comments forms but the lady said they use to do them but not any more. How do they know if there guests are happy or not??

22 Thank caitlea
Birmingham,England
Reviewed 10 August 2006

very good quality hotel. agree with most comments here. beach not good except for two hours either side of high tide so dont bother with it as the sand is not brilliant. but the pool makes up for it although it is a bit cold and takes some getting used to.
quality of food is generally good but portions are not huge and it is fairly expensive. we stayed in a bure in the gardens and found them to be excellent-very clean and tidy and well maintained. champaign and nibbles in the afternoon and the same in the evening brought to the bure. didnt see our 'butler' though at all!
oher people said the rooms in the main building were also very nice.
if you just want a holday by a pool its a good choice but the hotel is not ideal for exploring - took nearly two hours from the airport.
the staff were amazingly friendly but the reception staff need 're training' friendly enough but found on two occasions that things hadn't been done when they said thay had ie- a taxi booked the previous day didnt turn up because they had not booked it and not much in the way of an apology. all in all not a bad choice if you have booked to stay here.

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank travelagent10
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 July 2006

Our family (two adults, children 5 and 3) have just returned from a week at the Outrigger in Fiji.

The hotel is very well presented, the grounds are perfectly mainitained, the pool looks stunning and in the main everything was clean and well maintained.

The kids loved their time there. The pool is well designed for small kids in that there are three areas with shallow water for them to splash around in which are easily monitored by parents. At the same time the pool has a deeper area so adults can swim in relative peace. In saying that we found the pool to be cold, it was hard to get in that is for sure. The spa as well was cold, obviously geared for the warmer months when heating would not be required, but in July it definately does need a bit of a boost. Beware the tiles round the pool, very slippy.

The service was a bit hit and miss and most certainly was on Fiji time. However it was always friendly. What I did find a little frustrating was how long it too for the rooms to be made up. Some days we were not serviced until 5 PM so in the end we made our own beds up, but it meant not having the towels changed till late as well. Also when checking out, make sure you check your bill. I was almost charged $92 for a meal I had already paid for as a part of a meal package. Actually we found the front desk staff to be the weakest link as far as service was concerned. You could ask a question but whether you got an answer or the correct answer was debatable.

We were in an oceanview room which entitled us to a champagne and canape service in the evening. This was a nice touch and totally unexpected.

Activities for adults were in the main self driven in that it was up to you to get yourself out to the driving range down for tennis or into the gym. There were a few activities like kokoda making or volleyball but in the main these were low key. But for me I prefer low key after all it was a resort not a holiday camp.

I used the gym a few times whilst there and found it adequate. Good that it was airconditioned. There was limited but sufficient equipment. It is not well supervised so if you were looking for assistance you would be looking a while. There are staff around but they do not seem to pay attention to the gym. It is next to the tennis courts which are floodlit astroturf. Did not play myself, but my wife did and she enjoyed it there.

We also had a hit out at the driving range across the road. FJD12.50 for 50 balls is more than I pay here in NZ, but not too exorbitant.

The driving range is next to a nature park. This place was excellent and well worth checking out especially if you have kids with you.

The kids club was great. Our two had a good time there and since we had travelled with friends they had playmates with them. The staff genuinely like kids, that is certainly the Fijian way.

The prices were steep as has been noted. Better to eat off site just up the beach 50 metres from the resort. There you could feed four adults for the same price as feeding one in the resort. Beer was a fraction of the price too. If you get a meal plan get a small one so you are not trapped eating the resort food at resort prices.

The location of the resort does not help it though. The lagoon is unswimable except for an hour either side of high tide. There is a constant trade wind that blows strongly on that part of the coast (Which meant the beach was closed for a couple of days during ouor stay) and it rained a lot (Strange for the dry season).

To avoid cabin fever we hired a car (Hire from the place on the beach not the resort) and drove round to Lautoka, where we discovered it had not rained at all that week, it was a good 5 degrees c warmer and the wind was not blowing.

Would I recommend it? Yes for families with kids who are not looking for a long break. I would not recommend it for people looking for a quiet romantic getaway. Just too busy for that.

Will I be going back? Unlikely. Not because of the hotel itself, but because of the weather. Much better on the west coast and out in the Mamanuca islands.

• Liked — In Fiji
  • Disliked — Inconsistent (but still friendly) service
  • Tips/Secrets — Explore the nearby beach eating and travel options.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
7 Thank Kiwi_acct
Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We stayed at the Outrigger in Fiji recently and were not impressed. Although the pool and surrounding gardens are lovely, the service/quality of food and rooms are the standard of a 3 star resort. The service was painfully slow (our toddler had to wait 30-45 mins for his meals!). We did not look forward to meal-times as the food was only passable and reminded us of food served up at school camp (except the buffet breakfast which was slightly better). Although there were some very friendly staff, the jaded/unwelcoming staff cancelled out their efforts. If you just want to laze by a nice pool and are not too worried about the service/rooms/food etc. being five star, then this place is for you. But, if like us, you expect a five star resort when they say five star, we recommend you look elsewhere!

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — If you expect five star (real five star!) don't go here
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank oz1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!