“The most perfect wedding venue we could have chosen”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Perth, Australia
“The most perfect wedding venue we could have chosen”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Where do I start. My husband and I wanted to get married in a tropical paradise without the worries of filthy water or seedy nightlife such as what can be expected of Thailand or Bali. We did some research and decided on the Outrigger in Fiji. We were a little nervous of what to expect, and were definitely worried that the wedding wouldn't come off as we had envisaged, but let me say, Fiji is beautiful, the Fijian people are just lovely (and so incredibly genuine and happy) and the wedding was absolutely PERFECT thanks to the hard work of Illisoni Vibose. Every last little detail, even things I hadn't though of, were organised to perfection. The hairdresser at the resort did an absolutely amazing job with my hair, and managed to do a detailed "up-do" in only about 20 minutes (something I had long suspected was possible, but Australian hairdressers seem hell bent on keeping you sitting in the chair for 4 hours for such a style). My bouquet was absolutely gorgeous, filled with beautiful frangipanis, and matching buttonholes for the men. The food at our reception was amazing, especially the Kokoda meal... You have to try it. Honestly I cannot sing the praises high enough for everyone involved in organising our wedding. It was everything we had hoped and dreamed it would be. Thank you Outrigger and all your staff.

The resort itself is absolutely stunning, the gardeners do an amazing job at keeping the grounds looking lush, tropical and perfectly clean. The pool is just stunning and is every bit what I imagine when I think of lazing by the pool on a tropical island. The staff are just beautiful. Everyone welcomes you warmly with a big happy BULA which my 10 month old son just loved. The staff were also very good with my little boy. They would all remember his name and say Bula Ethan every morning at breakfast.

The day spa is beautiful and I loved my massage, manicure and pedicure that I got there. The view from the spa is simply breathtaking.

The bars are fantastic and I personally recommend the "Frangipani Flow" cocktails... YUM.

I would highly recommend the Outrigger to anyone (particularly families) looking for a great holiday that the whole family will enjoy. I would also recommend it to anyone looking to get married in Fiji.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
ExecutiveOffice173, Executive Assistant at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
Bula Lynn255103

On behalf of the Outrigger team we would like to congratulate you on your recent wedding held at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji.

We are so glad to read your Outrigger on the Lagoon experience covered all your essential requirements for a perfect holiday. It was great to have you as our guests at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji and we appreciate you taking the time to providing review of your experience with others. We strive to provide our guests with memorable vacation experiences; we appreciate your comments about our “friendly staff and the beautiful resort and food (kokoda)!

Thank you for recommending our Bebe Day Spa, we certainly do pride ourselves in offering Fiji’s finest Spa facility. I look forward to passing your feedback onto our team.

Again thank you for recommending our property on Trip Advisor and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Asmeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Such a wonderful place to stay for a young family. So sad to read those reviews that focus on slipping in the bath (ours was wonderful - but everyone needs to take care in the barh), other guests (who, on our stay, were eall as happy as we were), weather (which was fantastic), etc, as all those things can happen anywhere. My review will hopefully provide a realistic view of a stay at Outrigger - the realistic type of review that I was looking for before I visited.
We stayed at Outrigger for 10 days with 2 children (one school age, one preschooler). Our school aged boy has had lots of tears since we returned to NZ as he is so sad to have left the resort and the friends he made there, both children and staff. Kids Club staff are wonderful, as were the many children we met there and exchanged addresses with.
The staff are so friendly - it saddens me that some reviewers are annoyed at the 'Bula' you receive each time you pass someone - its only the same as saying hello, and surely its rude to walk past someone and not acknowledge them?
Kids spent 6-7 hours in the pool/sea each day. Hard to get them out for lunch (which was free and included a huge kids menu). Loved all the acitivities around the resort.
which were free (kayaks, snorkelling, etc). Free scuba diving trials also available each day. Staff so great with letting the children follow them around for torch lighting ceremonies, etc. Restaurant by the pool and the beach reasonable and nice. Rooms adequate for a family of four - two double beds, we juggled one adult and one child in each bed as the kids tended to wake each other in the morning if in the same bed.
Lots of tours available from the resort or the cafe next door.
Also, felt really safe with resort security, beach staff requested details each time we snorkelled and advised us of safe times, kept account of who was in the water throughout the day.
Thoroughly enjoyed the high tide snorkelling - so many fish of vibrant colours.
Grounds are tropical.
More than happy to answer questions if you have any - we had a great time and would love for others to experience the same. Can't help feeling that there are many reviewers out there who are out to pick out negatives from wherever they stay - we looked for the positives in our holiday and we had a wonderful time: I'm sure some people could have picked fault with our rooms but overall, the resort was wonderful and we will definitely return if we are able to.
Vinaka, Outrigger, we hope to see you wonderful staff again soon

3 Thank baldspot87
ExecutiveOffice173, Executive Assistant at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Bula Baldspot87

Vinaka for choosing Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji as your holiday destination.
I would like to thank you on behalf of the Outrigger Team for the loyal comments that you have contributed. We appreciate all guest feedback and we certainly value how thorough and constructive your comments are.

We would like to thank you for your warm compliments regarding our attentive & friendly staff. We sincerely believe our wonderful and capable associates and their Bula Spirit makes the Vuvale (Family) special. We are very appreciative when our guests take the time to recognize their efforts.

Our management team will be looking into each of the areas mentioned in your review – again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I hope your travels will bring you back to Fiji soon and we will have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Regards
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We have just returned from 11 days at the Outrigger and I have had a glance at the two most recent reviews and am astounded - really concerned that people may get a misleading view of an absolutely brilliant holiday destination so am writing my own review to let people know exactly what to expect.
The Outrigger is set in absolutely beautiful grounds, you will see gardeners attending to every little detail throughout the day to maintain a perfect setting. The pool is huge, with plenty of shallow areas for our four year old including a lovely winding river, a paddling pool and a rocky area. There is also plenty of deeper water which our 7 year old loved diving into with the many friends he made on holiday. There are some solid boogie boards that the kids enjoyed 'surfing' on, scattered around the pool. Loads of loungers around the pool with several umbrellas, behind them are grassed areas with plenty of trees if you miss out on an umbrella (of course, if you go with children you need to be realistic and supervise so you might need to be in the sun for some of the time - wasn't a problem for us as we loved the pool too, and if you look hard enough you can usually find a shady spot, even if not on a lounger).
The FREE kayaks are great in the lagoon, as is the FREE snorkelling equipment, the FREE tennis - you do NOT need to pay for these, or the volleyball, the aerobics, the yoga, etc. We were there for 11 days, occupied the whole time and certainly did not pay loads for extra activities. We did pay $18.50 per adult for a fire walking show which was fun (and widely announced that this was the cost before booking). We did not at any stage find any hidden charges, the reception staff were very happy to provide a printout of our account to date whenever I popped up to ask throughout our stay.
Snorkelling was great at high tide, especially in the morning as the wind tended to pick up in the afternoons and our four year old wasn't so keen on the small waves this caused - the rest of us were fine though. The beach is coral rather than fine sand, but lovely and swept each morning.
We found the food great. Prior to going we were concerned that it might be very expensive but you would pay far more at a hotel in a tourist area in New Zealand. For example, the pizzas at the Sundowner were about $32 Fijian which works out at less than $25 NZ - one was enough for my husband and I to share. Lunches were about $22 Fijian at the restaurant/bar by the pool - the wraps were large and lovely, fish and chips beautiful. A range of cocktails at $15 Fijian - converted to our own currency, we felt this reasonable.
We stayed in the cheapest rooms, ground floor overlooking the gorgeous gardens. Two double beds, very comfortable, neat and tidy, clean. The beauty of the grounds and pool is greater than the rooms but they were as good as other equally expensive resorts we have stayed in while in other countries, and really we were not there to stay in our room.
Great range of free kids meals - from fish and chips to grilled chicken and vegetables, icecream and cake to fruit salad; I would find it strange if there wasn't something to suit most tastes. Our children used the Kids Club about 6 or 7 times for a two hour block each time and loved it.
Wherever you go, there are some people out to have a great time and others there to find fault - we were there to have a great time and we did. The friendly staff were lovely (personally, I like to acknowledge people when I walk past them so don't have problem saying Bula - or Hi - its friendly and nice).
Thanks, Outrigger, for a fantastic holiday and great memories. We can't wait to come back.

2 Thank Riley89
Bula Riley 89,

Many thanks for your kind feedback! We are so glad to hear your Outrigger on the Lagoon experience covered all your essential requirements for a perfect holiday. We were delighted to have you as our guests at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji and we appreciate you taking the time to providing review of your experience with others.

We strive to provide our guests with memorable vacation experiences; we appreciate your comments about our “activities”, “food in all the Restaurants”, and mostly importantly our staff. Our staff is our greatest asset and your comments reflect their hard work and dedication to guests.

I look forward to passing your feedback onto the team. Again thank you for recommending our property on Trip Advisor and we look forward in welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Vinaka & Kind Regards
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We love our tropical holidays and this time decided to take our 7 year old who had a fantastic time and loved every moment of everything the outrigger and fiji had to offer. We save hard to go 5 star when we holiday, but don't think that the Outrigger is 5 star in comparison to other resorts, including others in Fiji where we have stayed on other trips, however everything was clean and well presented.
We loved the food, and found everything to be reasonably priced and delicious, especially the themed buffets. Our daughter loved the kids menu and could always find something nice to eat. The drinks were also what we were expecting to pay, from what we are used to paying at other resorts, so no complaints there.
I have never written on tripaadvisor before (although often read reviews prior to booking) and some things can go wrong on holidays but here are things that disappointed us about Outrigger:
1. First morning fell out of bed due to the bed seeming to be well used and 2 definite sags where others have stayed, causing the bed to be on an odd slant. Seemed to eject across the room and hit my chest on the bedside table. Bruise number 1.
2. On our third day I slipped in the bath whilst having a shower, despite having the slip free mat in place. Interesting when I went back and read other reviews just now I note I am not the first person to do this. Could have really hurt myself apart from pride at having to call my husband in to help me up, bare bum in the air. Left awful lump which turned into nasty bruise which I still have - 8 days after. Bruise number 2.
3. My husband slipped on our second last day and ripped all the skin off one of his shins. Bruise number 3.
4. We were disappointed in the lack of shade around the pool. Having a 7 year old who is too big for the baby pool and too little to be swimming in the deep end there were only about 8 deck chairs where we could supervise with any shade, without having to be in the pool ourselves (still partially nursing injuries!!). Of course it was a race with other families with children as to who could get the seats, and we'd often have to sit in the sun keeping a watchful eye on those leaving so we could run and take their seats - not relaxing at all. Other seats which did have shade had palm trees blocking the view of the pool which was not ideal for supervision.
5. Whilst the pool is absoutely beautiful and massive it is a pity about the water volleyball that is played each day. This looked reallly fun for the adults and older kids however our 7 year old would either need to get into the toddler pool (boring apparently) or risk a smack in the head with a volleyball or drowing up the other end where it was deeper. We felt that the resort needed at least another pool, the pool was crowded, and if I was honeymooning I'd be annoyed with all the kids there. Maybe an adults pool or a separate baby pool would be good.
6. What was also strange about the pool is that there was no towel hut like other resorts. Housekeeping would leave a towel for everybody in their run, which could come at any time of the day. More often than not, we were heading to the pool about 11 each day returning at 6. Our towels were not replaced as we had them with us and although I'd try to dry them overnight on the outside railing it was too humid, so back to the pool again the next day with sodden towels. I had to ask one day for clean towels for each of us. Would be good to have a central hut where you can pick up a clean towel and leave your wet ones for laundering.
7. We received calls on 3 different nights between 10pm-midnight from a caller looking for someone else. Woke us up each time.
8. Our second last night we received recorded wake up calls at 3.15, 3.25 and 3.30am. I eventually rang reception to be told "you are not on our list", I advised I was aware of that as I had neither booked a wake up call, or was due to leave, she said she would check and again came back saying we were not on the list. I had to again explain that we had received the calls, and were all now wide awake. She eventually said she was sorry, would tell her boss but we never heard anything back.
The Bebe Spa was absolutely awesome and our daughter had fun with her Nanny Ala while we were there. It also helped with our injuries and we felt much better after that.
So all in all, not too bad, but we will definitely be going somewhere else next time and have told people this who have asked us.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
ExecutiveOffice173, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Dear Crawf19

Thank you for taking the time to advise readers of your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed the facilities at the resort and in particular our food and beverage outlets! We were also pleased to note that you found our Bebe Spa “absolutely awesome” as the spa was recently acknowledged as the number one spa in the South Pacific!

We are also very proud of our meimei “nanny”service! We have noted that our meimei, Ala took great pride in looking after your daughter whilst you had your spa treatment!

On the negative side, it appears as though you had a serious case of bad luck whilst you were on holidays! I was disappointed to learn that you fell out of bed, as we normally get rave reviews about the comfort of our beds. In fact we receive many requests from past guests on where to buy these beds!

It was also disappointing to note that you slipped in the shower. As you have noted in your comments, we provide slip-free bath mats for this very reason. We trust that you have recovered from your bruising!

I am not sure about the incident regarding slip number 3, but I am a firm believer in bad luck always comes in three’s!!!!!! Hopefully, it will be all good luck from now on!

Outrigger on the Lagoon .Fiji is a seriously fun place for a holiday. Our Fijian staff enjoy the interaction with guests when they play pool and land volleyball as well as the water aerobics. We apologise if you found this situation uncomfortable!

I must also apologise for the interruption to your sleep patterns when another guest and one of our staff inadvertently rang your room!

In regards to pool towels, all guests at Outrigger on the Lagoon .Fiji are provided with complimentary pool towels in their rooms. These can be exchanged with housekeeping on a daily basis!

Crawf19, as previously stated we appreciate the time you have taken to advise readers of your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We embrace all comments as it allows us to continue to improve and excel in the service that we provide to our guests.

Vinaka and Warm Regards

Peter Hopgood
Melbourne
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We had a great time here. The rooms are just devine! It has an amazing pool and a few small bars around the pool. The restaurants are a little pricey but there are plenty of small restaurants to eat at if you just walk along the beach.
Buffet breakfast is fantastic! Plenty of variety and selections including fresh tropical fruits.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. my 2 year old was still having formula and i needed to exchange the kettle as it was a little smelly.. and they changed it with no hassle.

It's a lovely place to stay at if you're purely interested in relaxing with your family.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Poonam-ENL
Bula Beachy-Mimi
Vinaka for your kind feedback! We thank you for choosing Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji as your holiday destination. Your wonderful comments about rooms, IVI restaurant, resort amenities and most importantly our staff were enjoyable to read. We will gladly share your comments with our staff. Our team takes great pride in ensuring even the smallest facet of your stay is enjoyable and a reflection of the genuine warmth of the Fijian people.

Once again thank you for recommending our property on trip advisor and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Outrigger 'Vuvale'(Family).

Vinaka & Kind Regards
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We booked 4 nights at the Outrigger for my birthday. I was looking forward to it as I've never been to Fiji before.
Arriving at the Resort there was no hassle and we were greeted with a cool mint-smelling face cloth and an iced tea - very nice. We were introduced to the Talei Service (butler service every afternoon to your room with champagne and canapes) and then shown to our room. So far, so good. The room was very clean, tastefully decorated and with every amenity you could wish for.
The next day was brilliant - the staff are very friendly and have obviously been instructed to say "Bula" to every guest they pass. It almost got to the stage that if I saw a staff member in the distance, I would change course just so I didn't have to say Bula again!
I had the pleasure of using their Spa for a facial and the whole time I was there was fantastic. You were given an herbal tea on arrival, and at the end of you booking, fresh fruit, mineral water and extra time to just relax.
The downside of this Resort is the little extras you have to pay for. Of course we expected to pay for food, meals, drinks and the Spa but is it necessary to charge for use of the tennis court, the fitness centre, the driving range, the sea kayaks, and the volley ball court? Come on! The charge that really astounded us was for my birthday cake. On the night of my birthday, we dined at their "award winning" restaurant. It was excellent - great service, great food, great wine. They asked if it was a special occasion and my partner said yes, it was my birthday. A little later the waitress enquired after my first name and how to spell it. Of course, we expected that they were going to make a fuss but at no time did we ask them to!. At the end of the meal, the staff come out playing guitars and ukeleles and singing "Happy Birthday". They presented me with a large slice of a chocolate cake with a candle in it and written around the plate Happy Birthday.... It was a fantastic end to a wonderful day. We were speechless though when checking the bill that they had charged us for the slice of cake! This money grabbing really left a sour taste in our mouths and did put a downer on what should have been a fantastic break.
It almost felt like that the Australians and New Zealanders who were there (which made up the majority of the guests) were being ripped off because of where we came from.
It may be that every Resort in Fiji is like this. I do know that other Resorts throughout the world aren't though.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Poppycleo
Manjita, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Dear Poppycleo,

Thank you for taking the time in providing your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

Whilst we fully endorse the integrity of writers to Trip Advisor to provide unbiased and anonymous comment, the contents of your review are both blatantly untrue and quite mischievous!!!

In particular, I find you comments in regards to associated costs for activities to be extremely malicious and most unworthy! The reality is the following costs area associated with the activities that you have identified:
Tennis Court and tennis gear hire – Free
Aerobics – Free
Volley Ball – (both pool and land) – Free
Meditation Classes – Free
Yoga Classes – Free
Golf Driving Range - Whilst there is no charge for the golf clubs we do charge for balls:
$12.50 -30 balls, $15.50 – 50 balls, $20.00 – 80 balls

I have also researched your concerns in relation to the Birthday Cake the you enjoyed in the Ivi Restaurant. Unfortunately there was a misunderstanding in regards to this matter. The staff assumed that you had ordered the Birthday Cake, which they hastily put together and charged for??? I sincerely apologise for this confusion.

Finally, I am somewhat bemused by your comments relating to our staff greeting you with their customary “Bula”. This is Fiji, the friendliest nation on the planet, and the warm friendly “ Bula” greetings that you received are an integral part of the character of the Fijian people. I assure you that they are not “instructed” to bombard guests with their “Bula” greetings – This is just the way it is, in this beautiful warm and friendly country!

Finally, I have noted your wonderful comments in relation to our Bebe Spa! Only 2 weeks ago our spa was recognized as the number one spa in “Oceania” and we are very proud of this achievement. We will pass your comments onto our team!

Finally, as previously stated, we welcome all comments relating to the guest experience at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji and we utilize these comments to further improve the overall standard of service that we provide to our guests.

All we ask is that these comments be honest and factual!

Yours Sincerely

Peter Hopgood
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Bula everyone! This place is gorgeous! Stayed there for 11 days and had a fantastic time. Upgraded from the start and was put up 2 levels, not 1. As we were staying for a while, we couldn't get the one type for the whole stay, but it made no difference to us, as it was like going to another resort. We decided to not move the second time, only because we loved our room so much. It had a beautiful ocean view from the bed, and the we didn't need the air con. at night with the gorgeous beach breeze. This was better for us, than the lovely spacious bure which is more luxurious, but we wanted the view and open air. Talai service is great, and nothing is too much trouble for any of these people. From the cleaner to waiters, talai butler to executive chef, they are all a sincere and beautiful delight to meet. We did have one nights sleep interupted with partying by youngsters in between the 2 resorts. But close the door and was barely audible. Annoying maybe, but I remember 20 years ago when I did the same thing and probably didn't think about anyone else.
My husband and I went to the Bebe spa several times and it is a must. Masseurs are very skilled and address your massage to whatever type you may want. Also had a romantic half day spa for the 2 of us, with a coconut milk bath looking over the view, with champagne and fruit while we bathed. Followed by a fantastic cucumber and dilo wrap, that magically makes all sunburn disappear. Then another long massage followed by a gorgeous facial wrap. Bliss on a stick!
The Ivi restaurant is another must for any adult. We ate there several times and the 8 course taster was a beautiful start. Alongside quite a few degustation menus in Australia, this is up there with them all. The staff are fantastic with their attentiveness and the musician is a very smooth, cool, down to earth entertainer. His smile at the end of each song, is something worth waiting for.
We also attended the cooking demonstration and I'd have to say this is the best deal at the resort. Totally underpriced with classes as small as 2. One of Fiji's best chefs demonstrates with local produce and you finish up with an excellent 5 star 3 course meal. Absolute bargain and very inspiring.
If there was anything to fault, it could only be that sometimes around the pool and main restaurants, it could be a bit loud (especially during water aerobics). Not having any children, this is something different for our holidays, but we went out of the resort and ate at local restaurants down the road and beaches a little further along. Never had any problems, and the people outside were just as friendly as in the resort. Beaches are coral, but you could always find somewhere to jump in, when we didn't want the pool.
Overall would totally recommend. If you want peace and quiet, use the Ivi and Bebe or explore outside. If you want families, it looked like they had amazing services. All in all, tutoka!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank russnell
ExecutiveOffice173, Executive Assistant at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 September 2010
Bula russnell

It was great to have you as our guests and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. We are so glad to hear your Outrigger on the Lagoon experience covered all your essential requirements for a perfect holiday.

The IVI team has a passion for detail and refined service. Our highly acclaimed Chef continues to do your best for culinary perfection in his kitchen. Chef and the IVI team will be very proud to hear your feedback.

We appreciate the time you have taken to write this review and enjoyed your compliments on your service you received during the stay. Your wonderful feedback on the Rooms, Bebe Spa, Ivi Restaurant and of course our staff were enjoyable to read.

Our staff takes great pride in providing excellent guest service and will be pleased to receive your comments especially our talented Serenaders will be delighted with their special mention!

Asmeen Bano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!