“Ultimate Relaxation”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Bula!!
We couldn't be any happier with our decision to spend our honeymoon at The Outrigger on the Lagoon. From the moment we arrived, we were in a state of relaxed bliss.
We opted to do a room upgrade (being such a special vacation) & stayed in a Ocean Breeze Bure. The bure was FANTASTIC! Our Talai Butler spoiled us daily with an assorted of canapes & drinks. (She even spelt out our names in flower petals on the bed one night ~ which was absolutely beautiful!!)
The service we received from all the staff was 5 star!!
Whilst at the Outrigger we treated ourselves to a visit at the Bebe Spa (AMAZING), went horse back riding on the beach & enjoyed many a long walk on the beach (so romantic at sunset.)
We can not rave enough about our holiday at The Outrigger on the Lagoon & can't wait to return!!
vinaka vaka-levu

1  Thank PenMatt
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

Dear Penmatt
Thank you so much for your warm comments on your recent Trip Advisor feedback!
The whole team are thrilled that we were able to put you and your husband in a state of “relaxed bliss” for your honeymoon!
The Fijian people are real romantics and the writing of your name in flower petals on your bed is one of their special treats!
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our Talai “butler” service as well as the amazing treatments at the “world famous” Bebe Spa! Both of these services are unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji and something that we are very proud of!
Penmatt, we look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort!
We wish you a long and joyous marriage!
Peter Hopgood

Write a ReviewReviews (3,178)

Reviewed 20 February 2011

We stayed at the Outrigger from 24 Jan through to 31 Jan 2011. From the moment we arrived at the Outrigger we were greeted with the best Bula and thoughtful reception. We were handed refresher towels and cool drinks at the reception desk. Our arrival was quite late at night but we soon found out that our stay was upgraded from the Plantation Bure to the Beach Front Bure (room 407). We were driven by buggy down to our room, which the kids just loved. The presentation of our room was more than we expected. Our room was quickly set up and beds turned down.

We had read a lot of reviews on here that the food was average and quite expensive. I can tell you that the prices were very reasonable and the food was excellent. The menu’s all had Fijian prices as well as Australian prices. We ate at 3 of the restaurants and found them to all be of excellent quality. The waiters were more than happy to make your dining experience a memorable one. Nothing is too much for them and their work is carried out with a smile. We did find that 3 meals were far too much so we generally did a late breakfast and earlier dinner. Cocktails were brilliant. There was always enough staff around the pool to take orders of food or drinks.

The pool and activities were enough to keep our kids (7 & 5 year olds) happy and in tears at the end of the trip as they didn’t want to go home. We only had the kids in Kids Club for 2 hours as we found there was too much to do with them and wanted to share the holiday experience with them. Our kids don’t know how to swim properly but they still managed to go snorkeling with us as they had a lift vest on and were able to float with us whilst holding our hand. The kayaking was fun and services at the activities counter was great.

We did venture out one day and went on the Captain Cook day cruise to Tivua Island. The cost was only AUD$149 for the family and you received a huge lunch at the island, this also included the transfers from the hotel to Port Denarau where the cruises took off from. A special thanks goes to Toohey (spelling?) who was wonderful with looking after kids whilst my husband and I went on a snorkel by ourselves. The kids enjoyed the glass bottom boat and they felt they didn’t miss out on the unbelievable tropical fish below. The day was magical and the snorkeling was phenomenal. The bus trip was quite interesting as we went to a few other hotels at Denarau to pick up others who were going on day trips. We were grateful that we didn’t stay at one of these hotels as they were so commercial like that it would have felt like we were staying at a holiday resort back in Australia. Nothing made them feel like you were in Fiji. Whilst they looked nice and clean they just didn’t have the feel of being in another country. The Outrigger has done exceptional in that it has kept the Fijian features and the staff are all Fijian.

A special thanks goes out to Zak who was our Talai butler. Zak was only too happy to bring us our canapés and champagne each day and then our night caps each night. The kids just adored Zak and got a great big hug from him on our last night there. His knowledge of the area and the hotel facilities helped us with planning our days and what trips were family fun.

The Kula Wildlife Park (which is across the road) was worth visiting. I recommend you get the hotel buggy to take you there as it’s complimentary and the taxi is just not worth hopping into. The kids got hands on experience with the lizards and even a snake.

We happen to stay at the Outrigger during Australia Day and were pleasantly surprised with the great Australia Day events organized by the hotel. We had a beach BBQ at lunch, Triathlon events for males and females, a trophy celebration by the beach with great day trips and spa treatment prizes for the winners. There was breach cricket and hotel staff even dressed as Bondi lifesavers. What a great fun filled day!

We checked the weather frequently before we departed and found the reports saying it was showers everyday. There was nothing to actually worry about as it only rained for approximately 5-10 min once a day before the sun was out again. Everyone continued continued swimming during the rain it was like nothing happened.

The hotel provides an activities sheet stating what was planned for each day that week. The torch lighting ceremony that takes place each day was nice to watch. They included kids staying at the resort to help in lighting the torches and blowing the “shell” horn.

The resort also has some great shops. I was surprised at how well priced they were and they can also do duty free. We made sure we tried to support as much of the local community as we could. The locals that came from the nearby village to sell their handy craft work ie, jewellery or and wood carvings were great. Such nice memories to take home with you. I miss all their “BULA’s”

On our last night we had dinner at the restaurant. The staff came over and sang “Isa Lei” to us (now our favorite song). They are all so gifted with beautiful voices.

Overall our experience at the Outrigger has left us with the best holiday memories. We have promised to be back and we look forward to going back there later this year. I wouldn’t dream of staying anywhere else and can thoroughly recommend the Outrigger to anyone.

I’m more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
10  Thank EroAct

Dear hercegCA
We sincerely thank you for your expansive commentary on your recent visit to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji – There were certainly plenty of tips for readers of Trip Advisor to take out of your feedback!
We read all comments from Trip Advisor (both good and bad) to our management team and staff! The team were absolutely thrilled when we read your Trip Advisor comments to them! We sincerely thank you for your generous feedback!
A holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is all about fun and relaxation and it appears as though you and the family have enjoyed both!
I concur with your comments regarding the departure of young children from their meimeis (nannies) – There is always a lot of tears as the young children truly love their meimeis!
We have passed your comments onto Zac – He is truly one of the nicest people that I have met! He will do anything for our guests in his role as a Talai (Butler)
Once again, we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday experience! We can’t wait to see you and the family back at the resort in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 18 February 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at the Outrigger on the Lagoon and we have to say it was one of the best getaways that we have had. The staff were exceptional, service excellent and facilities and activities second to none. Recommend staying in a room that has Talai Butler service there was nothing better than coming back to your room every afternoon to canapes and champagne. Make sure you also take a trip to the Bebe Spa (the best in Oceania) to fully appreciate what is widely called 'Fiji Time'. We will be returning again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2011

Dear Gaz23Bri
We are absolutely delighted that you had “one of the best getaways ever”!
This is what it is all about at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji – delivering memorable holiday experiences!
The Talai “butler” service is unique to Outrigger! Champagne and canapés delivered by your own personal butler to your room each afternoon – What more can I say!
We were also pleased to note that you had the opportunity to enjoy the unbelievable treatments at our world class Bebe Spa!
Gaz23Bri, we thank you for taking the time to advise other readers of Trip Advisor, about our beautiful resort!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed at the Outrigger in October 2009 (drop down box dosn't allow me to put in the real date) after being at Treasure Island (Fabulous place for kids) and Mololo (worst place for children that I have ever been to) and have since stayed at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort (ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC), Plantation Island (An Environmental Raped Swamp area), Raddison (AWESOME), Nanyua (Yasawas) and I will come back to The Outrigger in a heartbeat and I reccommend it to my family and friends if they need to stay down on the Coral Coast.

First Important note: The Outrigger is on the Coral Coast and once you understand that this is not the Maldives and you treat it as such, you'll enjoy it as a place to stay when you are enjoying the inland trips. Go to the islands then do the Outrigger for luxury.

COST: Very reasonable.

Grounds: What you expect from the brouchures.

Kids Club: We came directly from Mololo (where they made my child cry) and this place made up for all of the grief and fixed up my holiday. They are on par with Treasure Island with their care for your children. I felt 100% safe leaving my child and dining with my husband elsewhere on the grounds. We were even late one night (having an 8 course meal on the grounds that was OUTSTANDING !!!) and Kids club had closed so they bundled him up and they looked after him in the restaurant next door until we had finished. We found him propped up at the bar (no one was there) happily colouring in with the bar staff singing to him and keeping him safe and occupied (I wouldn't receive this kind of treatment at home in Brissy (and we are quite friendly up here in Qld!) and it made our night. One other night they took the kids crab racing and we didn't have any money for him to bet so they came looking for us to grab some money so he didn't feel left out. After just being at Mololo Island it (which cost us almost 3 times as much) it almost made me cry at their kindness.

The food: we went to the Tapas bar twice and discovered Mojitos and Tapas in fabulous relaxing chairs next to a running man made stream and water features. OMG how relaxing!!! Then it was a quick walk to pick up our child from kids club - FABULOUS.

Last night we were there we had a VERY reasonably priced meal - 8 courses - at the adults only restaurant. OUTSTANDING (I'm originally from Sydney and travell frequently and am a huge foody).

The grounds are outstanding and they make the most of their location (as advised, it's not an island but on the coral coast) by food demonstrations by the pool, icecream carts etc etc.
There is always something going on during the day and night - you will not be board.

The rooms are spotless and quiet.

The breakfasts are something out of a brochure in Hawii - served in the huge dining area and fabulous.

We've also stayed at the Warwick, Naviti (EWWWW) & Crusoes, (all on the Coral Coast) and find this the best high end resort you recive for the $$$ you pay.

Go to the islands, don't winge about the water at the Outrigger - deal with it - and stay here, end of story.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank YummyMummyBrisbane
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear YummyMum
We are so pleased that we were able to make your stay at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji so special!
We have the most beautiful meimeis (nannies) at the resort! I am constantly amazed by the natural attraction that young children have for the Fijian nannies! It is as though the children are mesmerized by the friendly warm nature of the Fijian women!
I am also pleased to note that you had the chance to enjoy a wonderful dining experience in our Fine Dine restaurant, Ivi! It is rated in the top 3 restaurants in Fiji!
There is certainly plenty of activities to undertake at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! It is all about having fun!
All of these wonderful features are fully supported by our warm and friendly staff, who just love engaging with our guests!
YummyMum, we thank you for taking the time to advise other readers of Trip Advisor, about our beautiful resort!
We look forward to welcoming you and the family back to the resort in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 15 February 2011

On our first visit to Fiji my wife and I decided to stay at the Outrigger Resort. What a good decision that was. The resort is awesome and I love the Fijian people.They are genuinely friendly and laughed at my jokes. On arrival we were told we were going to be upgraded to the beach bure.. We were stoked about that.
Well I don't know why people are complaining about the beach because the sunsets were beautiful and the fish life around the reefy bottom was unbelievable. There is still a sandy beach to walk on and the resort supplies booties if you want to walk on the reef. I had no problem swimming there on mid to high tide. The layout of the resort is magnificent and it has a genuine relaxing easygoing feel to it. Most people were smiling but you always get the ones that are not happy with anything. I do feel that there should be more satellite TV stations to choose from but Im not going to spend all my holiday watching TV. Our butlers were really nice and did a great job. If you needed anything they went out of their way to look after you. The meals were a little expensive but hey most places you go on holiday are like that. When I spoke to some Fiji natives from the villages who work for $2.00 per hour Fijian Dollars 6 days a week that really put things into perspective. We have been to some nice places around the world but I have to say the Outrigger Resort is definitely the best resort we have ever stayed at.
Bula!!

2  Thank debmars

Dear Debmars
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We are delighted that you and your wife had a wonderful, relaxing time at the resort!
We were extremely happy to learn that you enjoyed the snorkeling at the front of the resort! Whilst it may be too shallow at low tide there is plenty of sea life to view when you go snorkeling on the mid to high tides!
I must admit that television is not the best in Fiji and we do have limited channels – We are currently looking at a new movie system for the resort!
Overall our meal prices are quite reasonable! A lot of people are not aware that there are very high import taxes for Fiji and these add to the cost of all saleable items! Having said this I think AUD$12 for a pizza and AUD$32 for a full buffet dinner is reasonable value!
Once again, we appreciate the time you have taken to update fellow trip advisor readers on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort!

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Where can I start the resort was absoulutely amazing from the minute we arrived it was like no other resort we had been to the service was fantastic we were amazed at how friendly and helpful the people at the resort were, from the amazing butler service to the ladies in the buffet resturant, and the people organising the activites, everyone seems glad to be there.

The food was amazing everywhere we went and the quality high of the produce was fantastic.

The Bebe spa the best i have ever been too, we had a couples Romantic Discovery and the little extra effort the ladies put in made all the difference, so we had to go back...several times.

Our room overlooked the whole resort and it was excellent with what time we were in there, as there was so many activites and things to do like snorelling in the morning which was fantastic espicially when the tide was coming in and thousands of fish would be every where, to going over the Kuna Wildlife Park.

During our stay we also got married at the Outrigger on the beach with a Reception on the lawn right on the beach and it was amazing. The people that helped us from the Wedding Coordinator to the personal service the butler provided to the amazing food provided by the chefs. We could not have asked for a more amazing and fantasic wedding.
There is nothing we liked the best or least about the Outrigger as we had a fantastic time and a amazing wedding and we will be going back there as we have already started planning for the next visit. Vinaka

Dear Timtam
The team were absolutely thrilled to read your trip advisor comments on your recent holiday and wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon. Fiji
We are so pleased that we were able to make your wedding day so special!
We have a wonderful weddings manager in Moreen, who, with our banquets team do such a great job in providing the best weddings ever!
I am also pleased to note that you had the chance to enjoy the amazing Bebe Spa – I am not sure if you knew that the Bebe Spa is rated as the number one spa in Oceania! The Fijian spa therapists are the best that I have encountered!
Our Talai butler service is also very special! I am sure you enjoyed receiving your champagne and canapés each afternoon! – You will have to train your new husband to continue this service when you get home - Hee! Hee!
Timtam, we thank you for taking the time to advise other readers of Trip Advisor, about our beautiful resort!
I have noted that you are already planning a return visit! We look forward to this special occasion!

Reviewed 10 February 2011

The outrigger had everything to offer and was a beautiful place to stay. The staff are all so warm and welcoming, and so friendly you'd think you'd known them for years. The hotel was clean and had beautiful views, and food and drinks were cheap! There was so much to do at the resort you didn't even have to venture outside the grounds to experience Fiji at its best. Definitely recommended heading down to the Vakavanua Bar at Happy Hour and then staying for the amazing live band!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Dear Kira003
We really do appreciate the time you have taken to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
In particular we thank you for your comments on our warm and friendly staff – They are truly beautiful people!
It sounds like you had a great time at the Vakavanua Bar – It is where all of the Fijians love to go, to “Boogie Boogie” Their words not mine!
We look forward to the day when you return to our wonderful resort!
Peter Hopgood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!