“Friendly and cozy but somewhat outdated”

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Espoo, Finland
“Friendly and cozy but somewhat outdated”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The taxi from Airport took surprisingly long, about 1,5 hours. On arrival we were greeted warm heartedly by the staff and offered a drink. Check-in was efficient and the staff very helpful. We had a beachfront villa with a seaside view located towards the end of the resort. It was a quiet location with a nice veranda with views straight to the sea. The room was large and had basic furniture and amenities. No TV which was a great. The furniture was slightly outdated but nevertheless good enough.

The resort has lots of families and groups which seemingly mostly hang around the pool playing volley ball in the water or eating / drinking in the bar. There's some sort of organized program going on but failed to see anything interesting and the general style was catered towards the mass tourist. The pool is adequate but the pool area and restaurant is a bit worn out. The restaurant is really basic and the food quality was nothing special. The most annoying part is the music blasting at full volume every evening during dinner! We always tried to go for dinner after the evening show was over even though the music then starts blasting from the only bar right beside the restaurant. There's only one other option beside the beach but it's an even more worn down restaurant with a mix and match of tables and food. Don't understand why people fly all the way to a peaceful island and then knock themselves out with loud music and a boozing frenzy in the evening? Would think people would rather enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and great island views…

On the positive the staff are extremely friendly and have a great sense of humor. Lots of smiles and laughs. The resort has its own scuba diving center so it's really easy to go out scuba diving on the reef right in front of the resort. Snorkeling is also ok and free masks and fins are offered. There's also a charismatic small guitar group that plays nice tunes around the resort and came to our veranda every evening to play. Great guys!

Our check-out didn't work out as the porter failed to show up as agreed up in the early morning when it was pouring rain. Don't mind carrying luggage ourselves but would have appreciated an umbrella and some help with the luggage. Didn't get any apologies at the front desk and left the resort on a literally wet and disappointed feeling.

All in all, I would say that the location is worth 4 stars but the atmosphere around the pool and restaurant is somewhat cheap and unsophisticated. Probably great for families and groups wanting to booze and listen to disco music blasting in the night. A facelift and upgrade throughout the restaurant and pool areas would improve the experience. Good value for money though if you get an affordable price as well as extremely friendly staff.

Room Tip: As far away from the restaurant and pool if you want some quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helsinkiglobus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Korean first
Colac, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Our family stayed at the fiji hideaway for 7 days and loved it. My husband and two kids aged 14 and 16. The people make the resort and the all inclusive was the way to go if you like to have a drink and eat heaps even if you don't I would still advise to do this. Snorkeling was fantastic we seen lots of different fish even lots of clown fish if you know where to go. Yes the resort is a good hour and half from the airport but if you only do it there and back and not head to port denaru again it doesn't matter to much. If I had my time again I wouldn't travel back to Port Denaru to do the island trip the snorkeling we did at the hideaway was just as good sure the coral wasn't but that didn't bother us. Meals were good and the egg man was always freindly and funny. If you have a good sense of humour and friendly outlook in life you will enjoy it here. Join in and have a great time its not hard. If more people had the outlook in life like the Fijian people the world would be a better place. Hello to Latte and Marle and everybody else, to many people to mention. We'll be back

Room Tip: We stayed in the Frangapani and was very happy your only 50 meters to the beach and ours still had...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jody M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the fiji hideaway for 7 nights with some mixed feelings. Overall we enjoyed our stay but not sure if we would return for a number of reasons. Firstly, you must know that the resort is a minimum of 1.5hrs drive from the airport. It actually took us 2hrs. With 3 young kids (aged 10, 8 & 4) this seemed to take forever! We stayed in the frangipani bure which was large and comfortable. We really loved the outdoor shower/bath. Rooms were cleaned every day by lovely ladies. Location is lovely. Even when not in an ocean front room, no rooms are more than 500 metres from the ocean. Dinners proved a little difficult as kids ate separately to adults. Strict times applied to their meals which then meant they were bored when we were eating. I guess if your kids are older this would not be a problem, but with 5 years and under this was always stressful. Food was ok. Not the best, not the worst. Some nights better than others. Of course everything is on fiji time so expect to wait up to half an hour for your cocktails lol. Kids club was not much. Either a small room with tv and toys etc but bigger kids got bored here very quickly or the outside activities such as volley ball in which our 4 year could not be part of. Overall, the resort felt alittle outdated, but the staff were all really friendly.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stacey-11-74
Aucland
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Me and my wife spent 4 days at Hideaway. There is not to much to do locally but if you want to just lax out it's fantastic. The activities co-coordinators Luke & Ziggy are great fun in the pool, starting with water aerobics then on to games (water volleyball etc). I would suggest getting the full food and drink package if your planing on having a good time, it costs a bit extra but is worth it in the end as you can unexpectedly clock up a huge food and drink bill. My wife and I are fully intending going back next year and taking kids and parents this time. IF you want spirits etc for in your room get duty free, it costs a fortune to buy a bottle of bourbon in Sigatoka ($100+). Recommend you get involved and socialize you'll have a ball.

Room Tip: If your only sleeping in them it dosn't matter, if you want to spend time sat on the porch go fo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I know it's difficult to not be biased as it was our honeymoon and we had travelled all the way from the UK to enjoy it.

I'm quite a cynical person and when we were greeted with a drum roll and a song and a cheery "Bula" the little voice in my head said "they can't be this cheery all the time". They can and are.

Whether this is unique to the resort or just the whole of Fiji i'm not sure but I have never been somewhere SO welcoming.

Before I get into the meat of the review I will just tell you a little story - we had gone on a bus excursion to do a boat trip to a secluded island and a few drinks had been consumed. I left my iPhone on the bus. This contained all my wedding photos. I was visibly upset and one of the staff asked if I wanted him to try and get it back. He phoned ahead to a police roadblock to stop the bus and sent a taxi after the bus to retrieve the phone. Within twenty minutes my phone, which was probably worth a good few months wages, was back in my hand. It cost me about £4 for the taxi to chase the bus, I tipped them as well obviously. I can't say that this would have happened in other hotels I have stayed at. Superb.

The rooms were simple though with various entertainment on offer and a really nice pool and an adequate gym we didn't spend much time there.

TRY THE COCKTAILS.

Yes it's a small point, no it isn't a deal breaker - but you can see why they have won awards.

The food is very good and the breakfasts are self service so we filled up on that.

There was always a bit of lunch time entertainment either in the form of a quiz or an indian cookery demonstration. Good light hearted fun.

When we booked we had read other reviews criticising the beach as it is a coral beach and no good for swimming in the sea - the resort can't help the geophysical make up of the island!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheKingOfLyneal
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Negatives - the whole resort needs an update, the rooms are rundown and old (we had a funny smell from our shower drain). There were also a lot of bugs that were crawling over everything and when we turned on the air conditioning small lizards would come in to the room! When we complained to the front desk, they sent housekeeping and they gave us a huge bottle of bug spray, and said that someone would come the next day to see where the lizards were getting in. The pool area was really worn down, and I cut myself a few times on some of the tiles around the pool. The service staff in the restaurant was very slow - I understand "Fiji Time", but it sometimes took them 20-30 minutes to bring our bill to sign!

Positives - the activities staff are amazing, and there are a lot of free activities at the resort. The entertainment was pretty good - especially the fire dance. We did a couple of tours and had a great time - Mina at Rosie's was very helpful. I got food poisoning at the resort we were staying in previously, and ended up going to the hospital the day after we arrived at the Hideaway. When we got back, the staff was very caring and stopped us every day after to make sure I was ok and that we had everything we needed. The food was a little boring, but always cooked well and tasted good. We had fun snorkelling, and it was cool to see the fish come so close to shore - you didn't have to go very deep before they started swimming around your legs!
Overall, we did have a good time, and would consider going back if the resort was updated a bit.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank SessieAnn
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our first trip to Fiji. We travelled with people who have been coming to Hideaway for many years. Now we know why.
This is an amazing place. The location is wonderful, the staff are incredibly warm and friendly, made us feel that they had been waiting all their lives just to meet us. I love that it is so "self contained"; you can go snorkelling, kayaking free of charge. The glass bottom boat ride is good value at $25 Fiji. You actually don't have to leave the resort at all to have a great time, but if you do, it is very easy to arrange tours and transport for outside activities.
We had a food & beverage package (all meals, local beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks, 50% off cocktails and other alcohol and al la carte menu) that I highly recommend.
The Ocean Front bure in which we stayed was a bit dated, but it was clean and very comfortable, and we DID have an ocean view. To be honest, we didn't spend much time in our room, anyway. We were always by the pool, or off doing one of the many activities on offer, both within the resort and off site.
I love this place. The staff make you feel that you really matter to them, and nothing is too much trouble. We WILL be back!

PS. You have to get Faiyez to cook you an omelette for breakfast at least once during your stay!

Room Tip: Ocean View bures are older. Frangipani Bures are gorgeous, and have an outdoor shower.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sharonhall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
The Pearl Resort
#3 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!