“Amazing History”
Review of Tavuni Hill Fort

Tavuni Hill Fort
Ranked #13 of 27 things to do in Sigatoka
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour this restored ancient fort where you'll learn about pre-colonial Fiji life and enjoy great views from two lookout points.
Brisbane, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Amazing History”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I visited last year after hiring a driver from Port Villa. I couldn't find this site or the Sigatoka National Park on any tour - but they were a highlight of my trip to Fiji. The guide was knowledgable and clearly very proud of his people's history. He made all the stories interesting while still allowing me to take in. The incredible view from the top of the hill. I would recommend. A day trip to goon the walks in both these places amazing archaeological sites!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jinksy82

Adelaide, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Interesting glimpse of history.”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Did self-guided walk, beautiful views of Sigatoka River and snapshots of life in the past. The walks around the fort might be difficult for those with walking difficulties and are not suitable for young children. Suitable footwear a must. Well worth visiting to experience another aspect of Fijian culture.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Alida C
Wellington
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“this was great walk up with excellent views.”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

we enjoyed the exploration and the excellent views of the Sigatoka river. We drove here, which allowed us the freedom to explore a bit. There was a $12 charge, which seemed excessive, but was less than a tour group would have cost

Visited July 2013
Winnipeg
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Interesting Bit of History”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Great opportunity to learn about Fiji history. Involves walking on poorly maintained stairs and pathways, with some climbing involved. Guide was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Great views of the river valley from some points.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank WinnipegJeff
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“March 2013 Tavuni Hill Fort Viti Levu”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

A must see if going to the big island. Just out of Sigatoka. I visited March 2013 taken their by my indian taxi driver I constantly used while in Fiji. (cheap as chips and got to see a lot more than the usual tourist trail.) Don't go with a tour operator it will cost an arm and a leg and it will be a rushed visit. I was fortunate enough to be the only visitor there at the time and to meet Samuel and his cousins who come from the royal tongan line. Samuel became my excellent guide explaining the history, his lineage and the different historical sites. I learnt a lot. The views from the top are amazing. In the office there are also interesting photos on the walls as well as the written history of the place. I found taking photos of these to jog my memory when I got home a good way to go. Samuel was also kind enough to let me record on video his exciting commentary. As I am an older woman he was also kind enough to assist when I needed help to negotiate the path. A small nominal fee. Definitely a must see.

Visited March 2013