“Slosh Ball”

Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 8 November 2007

I stayed at Mango bay November 07 the grounds were lovely and well kept and the beach was nice..

Slosh ball was really funny I liked the fact that you could use your own duty free which meant saving money & it was a good way of interacting with the other guests.

I think Crystal could do with a few customer service skills, the fijian guys who done the coconut bowling & beach/pool volley ball were fantastic, Jo & Eva the bar staff were so friendly and lovely. Junior & Jack are legends..

I found that the owners (Not Clare or Danny) & managers spoke to the fijian staff members appalling especially infront of guests quite a few guests were commenting on this as well..

We also asked one night if we could have the night club open & was told no cos Matt was tired well we are paying guests & that is your job after all also they promote guest DJ's & they were right the "Guests" were the DJ

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Teresa163

Reviewed 28 October 2007

Well where will I start?

Don't get me wrong this was a decent enough place to stay in.The weather,scenery and friendliness of the staff made this a reasonable holiday,all the staff that is excluding the owner Brett!!
The only time he was ever friendly was when he was looking you to spend your money at the bar to play his precious Sloshball!Whats Sloshball?
Well Sloshball is like Rounders or Baseball only you use a football and kick the ball instead of using a bat. The reason he was ever so nice was because these nights the Fiji experience group arrived. Let me explain in more detail.

1.Drunken group playiny sloshball shouting and yelling.

2.Fiji experince group walk by and see people shouting,yelling and laughing at each other

3.Fiji experience group book extra nights in Mango bay because they think its such a cool,happy place!!

4.Smug owner Brett very happy!!

That was his masterplan all along,which annoyingly enough did work sometimes.What annoyed me was he used us as guinea pigs to lure in his prey!You didn;t have to play of course but Brett made sure he made you feel like a loser for not.
If all that wasn't bad enough, the night we left we were saying our goodbyes to all of our friends we met,who were all lovely people by the way!you know who you are.Brett obviously seen us,but instead of coming over to say his goodbyes he took his precious wife crystal to bed.Honestly, I was disgusted! We stayed in this resort for numerous nights,spent alot of money and didn't even get a goodbye!That just summed it all up for me.
Alot of people told me the except same about Brett without me even mentioning my side of things,which speaks for itself really!

So if you are considering going to Mango Bay,you will meet alot of wonderful people including Jack the musician,Nelson,Joe the barman and Junior(crazy),but I warn you do be prepared for Brett and his con-artist skills!

Few tips:

1.4% charge on credit card(I had to pay an extra $200 on top of my bill,raging!)

2.No ATMs at resort

3.Bring as much alcohol with you as possible as a jug of spirits costs $45 for stupid Sloshball.Where as you can buy a bottle of vodka in the local town for that price.

P.S Brett is so bloody competitive when playing his "FUN" games,so much so he actualy shouted at some of the guests for not putting in an effort!!!Yes,he was being serious.Your not on holiday to be serious.Also he tells you when you leave to praise the resort on this site!!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank vincy2345
Reviewed 2 October 2007

I recently stayed at the Mango Bay Resort in Fiji for one week. Upon arrival I immidiately found myself surrounded by some of the most friendly and welcoming staff i've ever met. The customer service was great! Anything that I needed they were right there to help. They set up all of my rides to and from the activities that I had planned, they had great info on other activites that I hadn't seen online, and were also able to set some of those up for me as well. At the Mango Bay Resort, YOU WILL BE thier top priority. You are not just a customer while there but a good friend.
The Mango Bay Resort also has a lot of activities located right at the resort making it hard to leave and see the rest of the island. While at Mango Bay Resort you can play futbol right near the beach among the beautiful Coconut Palms or play beach volleyball in the sand or in the pool. They have a pool table, and foose ball table located in an open lounge area. They also have an activity center where you can sign up for SCUBA DIVING (Padi certified), canoeing, water ski, snorkel, fish, and even ride a horse through the lush green jungle. They also held many fun activities throughout the day like conoe racing, team beach volley ball, coconut bowling, and we even made our own Fiji costumes from palm tree's and leaves with the help of some employees who are also local Fijians.
Why go to Fiji and not stay on a nice white beach with beautiful green jungle and coconut palms all around. At Mango Bay you stay right on a beautiful secluded beach right on the Coral Coast. With your Bure's just a few feet from the sandy beach you are sure to see the most beautiful sunset's and sun rises that you ever will lay your eyes on just as I did. The bures are very nice. They have nice shiney wood floors, glass fronts, bathroom, and AMAZING outdoor enclosed showers of your own with hot water.
If you would like to know more please feel free to contact me I would love to chat and answer any questions I can that you may have about my stay at Mango Bay. There are so many things that I would like to share about my stay at Mango Bay but I kept it short so that you do not waste time reading my review but instead you are BOOKING YOUR STAY at Mango Bay! :) Thanks for reading, I Love you all whoever you may be!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ademankornrules
Reviewed 30 September 2007

We were a group of girls who stayed there for a week in a Safari Tent. Throughout the stay the employers on the resort made sure that we had activities to attend if we wanted to. Many fun activities, that stretches from maybe only volleyball to going on shoppingtrips or "all- day" Island trips. We attended a lot of the activities, and found them great.
The resort also had a lot of other facilities.
Nice restaurant with tasty food! (could have had a broader meny though)
The night club had great music! And the drinks at the bar was delicious.
You can get many sorts of massage, we tried one, and that was spot on!
Beach beautiful, sandy and warm water, with reafs close to the beach. Excellent for snorkelling!!
The staff is so friendly and welcoming! They made the stay even better!! Overall we totally recommand this resort to everyone! Both those who wants to relax, sunbathe and read a book, or those who wants to party, be active and make friends! Also for adventurers! Big thanks to the managers and employees for making our vacation unforgettable! The norwegian girls

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2007

My girlfriend and I were looking for a exotic, romantic and fun travel destination. After some Internet research, we found Mango Bay to be the best value, nice location, not too large and based on the reviews seemed to be a good fit. We arrived and were welcomed by a friendly staff and a beautiful scenery! Mango Bay has everything you need at your fingertips, from all day activities, beautiful lagoon with white sandy beach for extreme relaxation, pool, bar and restaurant to mention a few. You will never be bored. The most impressive part was the social interaction with the other guests, and immediately meeting one of the owners and other staff. We really felt like we were a part of a big family... but not the pushy kind. :)

If you want to stay on the beach and relax, it is not overly crowded, the sand is white, and ample opportunities to find some shade under the many palm trees along the beach. The water in the lagoon on the inside of the reef makes for a beautiful scenery due to the relatively shallow water with mixed in areas of coral. One of the best beaches in the main island, and the most beautiful we have seen in our many tropical travel destinations such as US Virgin Islands, Jamaica, Mexico, Maui Hawaii, East coast Brazil, Mallorca, etc. Water is warm and crystal clear and snorkeling is good on the inside of the reef. The best part is that you can check out snorkeling equipment and kayaking equipment for free, as often as you like. If you like to scuba, or want to try it for the first time, this is the perfect place. The outside reef wall has lots of diving opportunities with very good visibility and great sea life. For the less experienced, you can dive the inside of the reef, not much deeper than 10m (33ft). Karin, the scuba instructor is fantastic! She is a lot of fun, and for those doing this for the first time she is patient & responsible at the same time making sure that you are comfortable and having a great time. Check out [--]

There are daily activities available and there is no lack of creativity in this arena. But the best thing is that there is no pressure to do anything, and all the activities are made to be fun, but also challenging at times. Great way to meet new friends! We've made several great friends that we'll keep in touch with for life. There are lots of free activities like basket weaving, jewelery making, coconut bowling, volleyball, soccer and softball as well as local traditions such as kava ceremony, Meke ceremony and trips to the local village. They also offer several trips for a small fee such as an island day trip $85FJ, fishing trips (prices vary) and waterfall trip $20FJ. Typically the day before an event there is a board where you can sign up for the trip if you are interested. If you have something specific in mind, talk to the travel desk & they will do their best to set up your trip.

As for the accommodations, they offer everything from a comfortable bed in one of the dorms, safari tents, to a 2 person bure (small Fijian style beach hut) with beautiful hardwood features, bathroom and an outside shower tucked inside a little secluded garden. There is hot and cold water which was a bonus for us after several cold showers at other budget places we have stayed. We stayed in one of the 10 safari tents for the first part of our stay and let me tell you, this is no ordinary tent! They have raised hard wood floors and are roomy, comfortable, clean and the beds are very comfortable. It was especially nice to have our own bathroom with hot shower for a low price. The last 3 nights of our stay we decided to splurge and upgraded to a bure #1 right on the beach. WOW! These are beautiful! We really loved waking up to the ocean view and being just steps away from the beach. Everything is cleaned daily, and the staff is very accommodating if there is anything you need. Fresh towels every day, beds were made and the floors are swept! We were pleasantly surprised.

As for the previous comment that the pool was not cleaned that is simply not true! We saw the guys cleaning the pool every morning. One guy hoses off the pool deck while one or two scrub the inside of the pool and clean out any leaves. The grounds are maintained daily and are simply gorgeous!

The restaurant was a wonderful surprise! Since you spend a lot of time at the resort, they go out of their way to assure that you have quality, taste and variety. First class all the way! Chef makes excellent dishes both from a taste and presentation point of view and we felt like we were at a high class restaurant with bargain prices! The fish is caught fresh and was the best we have ever tasted! Don't miss the daily specials and the lasagna! We're not sure where the other guy that was so unhappy with this restaurant typically eats but the portions were good size and we shared almost every meal. Typical entrees run about $12-$18FJ and a bottle of wine was about $25... not bad! We ate at one other resort and paid $22-$26 for an entree of comparable size.

For those of you who are concerned about traveling to Fiji because of the political unrest, we found that it was more the media blowing things our of proportion. We were never affected by these issues and felt safe and had a great time even in the cities.

Bottom line is that if you don't have fun and enjoy yourself at Mango Bay Resort, it is your own fault and you're probably too high maintenance to travel too far from home. :)

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Norway_USA
Reviewed 18 September 2007

Maybe at one time this was a fun place, but now it has the depressing air of a place that started out with good intentions, but has been mis-managed into dullsville. My wife and I stayed there as part of our honeymoon, and we found it incredibly disappointing.

The positives: the location is strikingly beautiful, and the grounds are well-kept. It was also cheaper than most places we looked at. The food was mostly enjoyable.

The negatives: the food is expensive, small-portioned, and particularly overpriced considering that it is Fiji. There is no access to drinking water: a cooler we were told had the only free, potable water ran out within 24 hours of our arrival and was not replaced by the time we left, four days later. Hence, we had to pay for bottled water the entire time. The restaurant/bar tries hard to be uber-chic in decor and music, though most of the guests would appear to prefer a more homey, comfortable atmosphere. There were actually very few guests there. Perhaps this is why the bar closed seemingly early every night, given the "young" atmosphere promoted in their advertisements. The pool is simply not cleaned, and actually has significant amounts of algae growing up the sides. There is an activity board describing the day's events, but most of these events don't seem to happen. For instance, we showed up for a 11am guided snorkel only to be told that it was low-tide, so we couldn't go (beach swimming in this area is only at high tide). You would think that living there, they would know when low-tide would be, and be able to plan accordingly. All sorts of games (volleyball, softball, etc) appear on the board, then no one is there at the appointed time. Night activities sometimes happen, but in one instance we showed up for a 9pm pool tourney only to discover it had been started 45 minutes early. The bures are well-decored, though our mosquito net had large brown stains on it and was not cleaned/replaced during our stay. There is little to no water pressure in the picturesque outdoor shower. Finally, the "club" area, where one might assume dancing and other typical night activities once took place, is depressingly used only as a movie room and storehouse for out-of-use items.

The moral is that you get what you pay for. If you are under 25 and simply want the cheapest place to stay on the south side of Veti Levu, then go for it. As a base to explore other areas of Fiji's main island, it's not bad (provided you don't mind renting a car, paying for cabs, or risking your life on the roller-coaster-ride local buses). As a resort unto itself, it is an absolute disappointment. If you are over 25 and/or can afford a place with experienced management, I highly recommend you avoid Mango Bay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank guywhoteachesenglish
Reviewed 17 September 2007

My boyfriend and I just returned from Mango Bay, we stayed 7 nights (Not long enough) The resort was great!! The staff, managers and owners were even better!! We felt like we were part of the family at mango bay! There are always activities to get involved in. The island trip is a must! We stayed in bure 5 with an amazing view of the ocean! The outdoor shower was so amazing. They food was wonderful they catch the fish daily! YOU MUST TRY THE SEARED TUNA!!! All the prices were cheap! The tour desk is a big help! We went white water rafting that I would highly recomend to anyone! There was a night we played drinking games in the bar and it was so much fun! The staff always have great attitudes!! Oh ya one more thing! There is a village right next door with lots of children! There is so much poverty. If you bring a few small toys or candy for the children they would love it!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Pearl Resort
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
#10 of 10 in Sigatoka
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Mango Bay Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!