“Loved our relaxed stay”

Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Just came back to Sydney after our week at Mango Bay. We truly loved it!

We were looking forward to a relaxed, romantic stay in a Beach Front Bure, and were never disapointed. There were a lot of things to do during the day and nights, or you could just lay by the pool as we mostly did. But we did try to cook some Fijian food, tried to crush a Water Melon, drank kava and lots more. But the absolutely best thing was when Danny arrange for us to go out to an Island. Thank you!

The food in the restaurant is really great! The free continental breakfast will make you stay full until lunch (or even longer), and the food that they serve at lunch and dinner are just lovely. We didn't eat meat for the whole week, since the catch of the day was just to die for every single night. And it is cheap - Catch of the day F$18.

The staff at the resort made our stay. They came up every day to greet you personaly, and they always knew our names.

When we get back to Fiji (and we probably will) we will definitly choose Mango Bay again!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2008

I just got home from Mango Bay and I want to go right back! My day started off with Papaya, mini Bananas and Pineapple and an espresso coffee, staring out into a tropical oasis.

I arrived on my own and was kind of worried about meeting people and being able to go surfing-- I had heard that Fiji in general was difficult and expensive to get to the outer reef where the surf breaks are.

But instead I met some amazing people right away and the staff are soooo nice and sincere. I also found out I didn't even have to take a boat to get to surf, instead I could paddle and walk around two bays-- which only takes 35 minutes to be at a surf break. The walk over there is so beautiful and you meet the local people that live along the beach as they all wave and say "Bula". Because the break is on the reef you have to paddle out in a particular spot and I was a bit worried about myself- one girl venturing out there. But then there was Godfrey and Justin-- two of the nicest people you will ever meet. Godfrey is a surf instructor and life Guard and knows the area very well. Even though it was a small day and they were not planning on paddling out to the surf they decided to come out anyway and show me the way. After that they went out of their way to make sure I got to surf, we arranged a few times to go to other places but the wind was two strong and besides the break out front of the Beach House was working, so I spent five days out of seven surfing. You can just ask the staff at Mango Bay and they can put you in contact with Godfrey at "The Beach House" if you want to go surfing.

Matt the property manager would wake up at 6:30- even on his time off and drive me to go surfing! He definitely went a step above and beyond.

The food! The fish Curry is to Die for and the catch of the day- the Wahoo is sensational. If you love seafood, you will love dinner at Mango Bay.

The owners Danny and Clair work hard looking over all the details and sitting down with guest to see how their stay is going. They put alot of time and care into the resort.

When I go back I will have to go scuba diving as the stories of turtles and reef sharks and beautiful fish have captivated me and Marcel the instructor is very nice and very knowledgable.

If you have been travel, backpacking for sometime and want a place that is beyond a backpackers, then I definitely recommend this place--

Recommendations- Do bring everything you need for your time well you are there- because it is a way from town- but that is what makes it sooo beautiful.

Thank you to all the staff and people at Mango Bay for an amazing week!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We stayed at Mango Bay Resort in march 08 and had the best time of our lives!! It started asoon as we arrived and found the staff to be the politest we have met.We stayed in a safari tent for 9 nights which was huge and comfortable and were upgraded free of charge to a beach front bure on the last night.All the staff were so friendly and welcoming and even the owners (danny and claire) were joining in with the fun and games with everybody!! We went fishing several times during the stay and enjoyed every trip,our captain freddy and his deckhand mikey were exceptional not returning to shore untill everybody onboard caught a fish.Which were cleaned and cooked on return to the resort by the kitchen staff for a nominal fee.The snorkelling and kayaking are brilliant in the bay and the best thing is that all the activities and equipment are free (except the fishing which is v.reasonable) The best night for me was on my 31st bday.The staff and owners had arranged a table right on the beach with candles,oil torches and even a guitarist.Overall the best holiday we have ever had and we would recommend it to everyone.thanks for a great time guys!! see you soon

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I stayed at Mango Bay in March this year with my friend. I found it on the web, and based on mostly positive reviews and great prices, thank goodness chose to stay there, because we had a fabulous time from start to finish!!

We arrived in Nadi and were driven by Mango Bay staff to the resort; it was about two hours drive but we didn't mind - don't know about our driver though, who graciously put up with our singing! On arrival we were greeted and shown around by the Fijian staff, then headed on to the restaraunt, bar and nightclub area, we had a blast then, and it set the tone for pretty much the whole 10 days we stayed, because although overall numbers fluctuated through our stay, we had a great time every night!!

A free continental breakfast is available daily, you can eat as much as you like and I thought it was quite good. The meals there are fantastic and pretty cheap, especially for what they are: you get FRESH tuna and reef fish on the menu nightly. I can honestly say my mouth still waters when I think of the meal I had on the first night, I have never eaten such fresh, beautifully cooked fish - and for around $10 AUD, you just can't beat that.

My friend and I found that drinks are reasonably priced, and trust me, as Danny, Claire and the rest of the staff would know, we certainly indulged in that area, so we have a very good idea of how much it cost at the end of the day!!

The activities are fun, most are free. Mango Bay is the best place ever to chill out during the day, which is what we did. I also have to give special thanks to the girls in the massage bure; they truly are fantastic. The prices very good, and is certainly worth every cent!!

The accommodation is basic but clean and comfortable, I was amazed how cool the bures are by night. The grounds and surrounds of Mango Bay are abosolutely beautiful to look at and walk around.

Contrary to one review, we found that getting cheap transport into Nadi or Sigatoka is very easy. The staff DO NOT lie to you - of course the staff let you know about the Mango Bay transfer service, that's part of their job. However we were not discouraged by them and decided catch the local bus, but ended up sharing a passing taxi for $5 FJD.

The Fijian staff are warm, friendly and fun-loving, we had a great time with them and think of them as friends. They do a great job of coordinating the activities for the guests, the gathering point being in the restaraunt area, which is pleasant whether sunny or rainy.

We had a couple of particularly great nights with some of the staff and other guests after the kava welcoming ceremonies, having a bit of a dance then just sitting around, talking and singing together for hours. It might sound a bit trite on the page, but we truly had a great time.

Owners, Danny and Claire are great value - we certainly had no problems talking with them as they are friendly, open and down-to-earth people; not the least bit arrogant, as one review I have read suggested.

The prices for staying at Mango Bay are fantastic. If you're looking for a fun experience and opportunity to mix with real people from all walks of life, then this is the place for you!

Whether you're a loud person or a quiet person, you will feel at home at Mango Bay; I did, and I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I have been travelling the world for the past 15 years (many times to Fiji) and my recent experience at Mango Bay has been one of the best. In fact it was so good that this visit in June is my second trip this year as I also spent 8 days there in March this year.

From the time you arrive you are warmly welcomed and treated like a long lost friend. All the staff are extremely friendly and always up for a chat or a laugh, nothing is a bother. The owners Danny and Clair are very relaxed and helpful - I have never been to a hotel or resort where the owners socialise with the guests (without being in your face) – they are true blue.

Your days can be as actioned packed or relaxed as you like. In the evening there are activities such as crab racing, trivia, tradition Fijian dancing or a nice relaxing movie. Every other night there is a welcoming kava ceremony which is followed by singing at the beach bonfire and or dancing the night away at the disco.

Breakfast is included and is a continental breakfast with amazing fresh tropical fruit, toast, cereal, juice and tea or coffee. If you prefer a hot breakfast you can purchase for a small cost ($10ish for a full cooked breakfast). The lunch and dinner menus are great and very reasonably priced compared to the big resorts. I recommend the daily fish special, generally fresh from the days fishing expeditions and cooked to perfection.

If you are looking for a 5 star resort with 4 restaurants, 6 bars and 3 pools, Mango Bay is not for you, if you want a pumping backpackers with 100s of young travellers to party with all night, every night then it is also not for you. Mango Bay Resort is in between, SO if you want an all round Fijian experience I recommend Mango Bay, the guests are a good mix of ages and travellers from the young British backpackers to the older Europeans having a romantic holiday – Mango Bay can accommodate all. On both visits I have made some great friends. At Mango Bay the staff are allowed to socialise and chat with you outside their normal duties so you also get to understand and feel the true Fijian warmth and friendliness and some of their culture.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2008

Mango Bay Resort... we were expecting big things! Our travel agent recommended it as we were three lads looking for a fun, surf and a good time at the 'night club'. Unfortunately we were disappointed and actually left after 7 days... instead of our booked 10 in a beach front bureau.

The nightclub... doesn't exist... it's a small bar... nothing like a nightclub and many other people who we met while there were also bitterly disappointed after experiencing the atmosphere of the 'beach coma' and then traveling to Mango Bay.

I wouldn't had been as disappointed if it didn't promise so much and not deliver. Yes, the fijian's who work there are great people and I feel terribly sorry for them considering the wages they earn compared to the prices they charge at the resort. Food was incredibly expensive for what it was... and being 2.5 hrs from the airport and stranded from other destinations they 'sting' you whereever they can.

Free Breakfast??? Rice bubbles or cornflakes or stale bread for toast... not the continental buffet breakfast I was expecting. They could cook garlic bread however... that's about it. We tried the entire menu through the week... so we got the entire spectrum.

Happy hour u get $1 dollar of drinks... pretty pathetic! They promise surf trips to frigates on their website... however, we had to travel to another near by resort and then get a boat from there out to frigates. $50 each transfer to the next resort... which is only 15 mins up the road.

The staff lie to you... on the day we were leaving to go back to Nadi we wanted to get transfers... inquiring about the local bus that comes through only to be told it would cost $130 for them to take us... and we had missed the local bus... however untrue as one runs every hour. $7.20 each from Mango Bay to Nadi! Finally something cheap!!!

The scuba diving is great at Mango Bay however... and the majority of the activities are free. Plenty of Rest and Relaxation time and take a good book.

Staying in the bureau was nice accomodation... can't really see the $280 per night value though... as the showers aren't hot... luke warm at best. Fishing is extremely expensive!!!!

$1250 per day... we simply couldn't afford it... they sucked to much out of us as it is!

There were only about 40 people staying at the resort and it was really dead... no atmosphere. Even though all of this we left early and went and stayed at Renavous Backpackers which is alot rougher accomodation at $30 per night... however we were content as we weren't expecting all the hype.

We couldn't get any money back from Mango Bay and we had to book 2 bureau's even though we could have fitted in one, as they bought a single bed into one of them so two of us didn't have to share.

The owners are extremely arrogant (Danny and his girlfriend Claire) and won't talk to you... only interested in you spending loads of money and manking sure the fijian's don't get tipped above their $2 to $4 an hour wages... pretty poor when beers cost $4.50 the cheapest and you can't get a meal under $20!

If you can spend time in the villages... real friendly people who will look after you... and aren't trying to loot you out of every dollar.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank NewcastleLads
Reviewed 14 July 2008

After reading the reviews on Mango Bay we were excited about staying here for a week as it sounded like most people were more than happy with this place, unfortunately we were incredibly disappointed.

We booked a beach side bure and were originally given a bure with a view of another bure as it was positioned directly in front of us. Though they didn't have a beach side one available for 3 days they were happy to move us once one became available. The bure was nice inside but nothing spectacular and considering this place is selling itself as a flashpacker resort it was incredibly overpriced.

We felt like Mango Bay was having an identity crisis it wanted to be a resort but it wanted backpackers to stay here too. This place is no good for backpackers unless you have an endless supply of money as everything is overpriced, the food and trips we felt were majorly overpriced a fact that was proven when we moved to our next accommodation 5 minutes down the road from Mango and both food and trips were of equal standard yet much cheaper.

They had a list of daily activities and times these would be on but they regularly missed things out or started early so if you aimed to be around at the time they were on it was easy to miss them, they encouraged a situation where in order not to miss anything you had to always be around the pool area not a problem in the sunshine but when it is raining you don't want to sit in the restaurant area with their hard chairs and they have no chill out area with comfy seating. Also if you're sat in the dining area they push food menus at you when you're not ready to eat and you kind of feel obliged to be buying drinks.

The internet was global gossip at Mango Bay and absolute rubbish, the place we stayed 5 minutes down the road was their own internet and fantastic. Internet may not be all that important on holiday but most backpackers require it at some point.

The final point i would like to make clear about Mango Bay is that on their website it says it is an adult only resort but we had children stay there during the week we were there, personally i don't have children and therefore prefer places without children and i think it is wrong to state a resort as adult only if this is not the case.

Overall Mango Bay was ok but as a backpacker don't believe it caters to backpackers needs. If you are planning a holiday then Mango would be ok for you just be sure to take plenty of money!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Pearl Resort
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
#10 of 10 in Sigatoka
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Mango Bay Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!