“Great”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great”
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We stayed here for 3 great nights in July in a beach front bure.
The rooms are great - the outdoor showers are incredible!
The staff are all very very friendly and provide lots of activities (such as basket weaving, traditional cooking classes, village tours and more) to keep your day busy if you aren't in the mood for lazing by the pool or on the beach with a cocktail or diving/snorkeling/kayaking.
The food is great and well priced, the cocktails are even better!
We didnt get to experience the nightclub in action but from photos that we saw it looked like it would be a great night out.
The internet facilities are good - they have global gossip computers, the laundry service is slightly pricey but efficient and room service ensures that your room is kept neat and tidy daily!

To top the holiday off we did the pamper package for 2 in the massage bure which was 2 hours of absolute bliss!

• Liked — The friendly staff and massages!
  • Disliked — Laundry prices
1 Thank roguetraveller88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Wellington
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Oh, Mango Bay.

I had researched my trip to Fiji for almost a year and I was super excited about all the places I had chose to stay. Mango Bay was exceptionally pretty - the grounds and the buildings are beautiful.

My partner and I arrived at Mango Bay and were greeted at the top of the driveway by a young, friendly man who told us he was the manager. That was pretty much where the friendliness stopped. Throughout our entire stay there we bombarded with miserable people who obviously hated their jobs. And the manager turned out to be someone who behaved like he was an arrogant, trust-fund kid. Just walked around with his gf, doing the minimal amount of work, and pretending to be posh.

The dorms have zero security, the doors do not lock. Our door was difficult to open as it was the back door - hard to explain. It seems as if it was backwards.

In the description of the place it said that each bed had a fan. No, it did not. In fact, we took one from the cranky receptionist after we explained to her that we thought we should have one. Our "mosquito netting" was not really netting but rather a gauze-like fabric trying to pass as netting. It also had GIANT holes. We were staying in a dorm and we had the whole thing to ourselves (which, was nice) and none of the other beds (10 beds in total) had a net without holes. Also, none of the other beds didn't have ants crawling all over them. There was also cockroaches. But, we were in a tropical place, so it is somewhat expected.

The restaurant was so overpriced and the food was just ok.
There was never anyone at the activities desk.
The "party" atmosphere that they try to sell just didn't exist when we were there. There was not many people there besides ourselves.

And then there were the dogs.

I got up in the middle of the night and couldn't move 10 feet from our front door as one of the dogs was growling at me. I had to pull a MacGyver move just to be able to pee.

The bathrooms were rank. Grimy, full of frogs and bugs (which I understand can't be helped), and smelly.
The internet was slow, expensive and the computer was from 1986.
The pool was tiny.
There was also a 1.4% charge on credit card transactions- which, after further investigation is not allowed by some CC companies...

The thing is... is that I wouldn't have minded all of this if it wasn't so damn expensive or if they had marketed themselves differently. If I knew what I was getting into and was paying cheaply for it - all would have been good.

My partner and I couldn't wait to leave this place. It was, in a word, terrible. I am actually baffled at all the positive comments...

My suggestion? save up extra $$ and stay at the Octopus Resort - it is absolutely perfect.

• Liked — the grounds were beautiful
  • Disliked — over-priced, the manager, the lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank merichan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2008

My wife and I stayed in the beachfront Bure at Mango Bay and loved everthing about the resort. The accomadation we had was traditional but very comfortable so we did not feel like we were in just another concrete resort. This is a real resort!

Activities are great and its all up to you ... do everything or nothing. Traveling on a shoesting? No problem many activities are free and if you do want more other activities are arrange through the staff with guests Loved the waterfall walk!!!

The food was amazing ... something i was not expecting. Fresh beautiful fish, lobster as well as steaks pastas and more. All tasted wonderful.

I cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful resort. Go and enjoy!!!

• Liked — Food, facilities and friendly faces!!!
  • Disliked — Bit of a commute from Nadi (aiprort town) but that cant be helped.
Perth
Reviewed 31 July 2008

What a wonderful surprise Mango Bay turned out to be. We were tired and a bit 'travel worn' when we arrived in Fiji. Yes, there was the long bus trip, but it did give us a chance to see the beautiful Fijian countryside. We arrived at Mango Bay and was shown our bure - right on the beach front - at night we lay in bed listening to the ocean. Just magical. The room was clean, the beds very comfortable. I also enjoyed the outside shower facilities - the shower water temperature was fine.

Unlike the some others, we found the food to be lovely and very generous. The prices were not unreasonable at all. Loved the Kokada and the cooking lesson - lots of fun.

We also went on a snorkelling trip - saw the most amazing fish. Had a lovely lunch whilst watching the boys (including guests) have a fun game of volleyball. It was relaxing, laid back and very enjoyable.

Claire and Danny were great - helpful, encouraging but never intrusive. It didn't take much to see that the staff enjoyed what they were doing and it was obvious that they had a good relationship with Danny and Claire.

I've read the couple of other reviewers. I can't understand why you didn't enjoy your stay at Mango Bay. If you didn't want to wait around in the restaurant for a day trip - you could have gone for a swim in the pool, sat on the grass, sat on one of the swing hammocks, read a book, had a drink - anything! It's all about just lying back, relaxing and taking in the beautiful surrounds.

Both my partner and myself have travelled extensively throughout Europe, Asia and India. Mango Bay Resort was a real haven. The best way to travel is to go with no expectations and you'll often be very pleasantly surprised. That's what travelling is all about. I'd recommend Mango Bay to anyone.

• Liked — Relaxing, friendly and very enjoyable
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Just came back to Sydney after our week at Mango Bay. We truly loved it!

We were looking forward to a relaxed, romantic stay in a Beach Front Bure, and were never disapointed. There were a lot of things to do during the day and nights, or you could just lay by the pool as we mostly did. But we did try to cook some Fijian food, tried to crush a Water Melon, drank kava and lots more. But the absolutely best thing was when Danny arrange for us to go out to an Island. Thank you!

The food in the restaurant is really great! The free continental breakfast will make you stay full until lunch (or even longer), and the food that they serve at lunch and dinner are just lovely. We didn't eat meat for the whole week, since the catch of the day was just to die for every single night. And it is cheap - Catch of the day F$18.

The staff at the resort made our stay. They came up every day to greet you personaly, and they always knew our names.

When we get back to Fiji (and we probably will) we will definitly choose Mango Bay again!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
Gold Coast
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I just got home from Mango Bay and I want to go right back! My day started off with Papaya, mini Bananas and Pineapple and an espresso coffee, staring out into a tropical oasis.

I arrived on my own and was kind of worried about meeting people and being able to go surfing-- I had heard that Fiji in general was difficult and expensive to get to the outer reef where the surf breaks are.

But instead I met some amazing people right away and the staff are soooo nice and sincere. I also found out I didn't even have to take a boat to get to surf, instead I could paddle and walk around two bays-- which only takes 35 minutes to be at a surf break. The walk over there is so beautiful and you meet the local people that live along the beach as they all wave and say "Bula". Because the break is on the reef you have to paddle out in a particular spot and I was a bit worried about myself- one girl venturing out there. But then there was Godfrey and Justin-- two of the nicest people you will ever meet. Godfrey is a surf instructor and life Guard and knows the area very well. Even though it was a small day and they were not planning on paddling out to the surf they decided to come out anyway and show me the way. After that they went out of their way to make sure I got to surf, we arranged a few times to go to other places but the wind was two strong and besides the break out front of the Beach House was working, so I spent five days out of seven surfing. You can just ask the staff at Mango Bay and they can put you in contact with Godfrey at "The Beach House" if you want to go surfing.

Matt the property manager would wake up at 6:30- even on his time off and drive me to go surfing! He definitely went a step above and beyond.

The food! The fish Curry is to Die for and the catch of the day- the Wahoo is sensational. If you love seafood, you will love dinner at Mango Bay.

The owners Danny and Clair work hard looking over all the details and sitting down with guest to see how their stay is going. They put alot of time and care into the resort.

When I go back I will have to go scuba diving as the stories of turtles and reef sharks and beautiful fish have captivated me and Marcel the instructor is very nice and very knowledgable.

If you have been travel, backpacking for sometime and want a place that is beyond a backpackers, then I definitely recommend this place--

Recommendations- Do bring everything you need for your time well you are there- because it is a way from town- but that is what makes it sooo beautiful.

Thank you to all the staff and people at Mango Bay for an amazing week!!!!!

• Liked — The staff, the food, the surf and the beauty
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
new zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We stayed at Mango Bay Resort in march 08 and had the best time of our lives!! It started asoon as we arrived and found the staff to be the politest we have met.We stayed in a safari tent for 9 nights which was huge and comfortable and were upgraded free of charge to a beach front bure on the last night.All the staff were so friendly and welcoming and even the owners (danny and claire) were joining in with the fun and games with everybody!! We went fishing several times during the stay and enjoyed every trip,our captain freddy and his deckhand mikey were exceptional not returning to shore untill everybody onboard caught a fish.Which were cleaned and cooked on return to the resort by the kitchen staff for a nominal fee.The snorkelling and kayaking are brilliant in the bay and the best thing is that all the activities and equipment are free (except the fishing which is v.reasonable) The best night for me was on my 31st bday.The staff and owners had arranged a table right on the beach with candles,oil torches and even a guitarist.Overall the best holiday we have ever had and we would recommend it to everyone.thanks for a great time guys!! see you soon

• Liked — The friendly staff and owners without them it wouldnt be the same!!!
  • Disliked — liked everything!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Uprising Beach Resort
Uprising Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Mango Bay Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!