“A little piece of heaven”
Review of Bedarra Beach Inn

Bedarra Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Bedarra Beach Inn is truly a little slice of heaven. First of all the location its self, off the Coral Coast on Fiji's big island is a beautiful and serene location. Bedarra is in a quite serene area, but there are some cool little restaurants nearby and the Outrigger resort is walking distance, with some good eats and night life.

But my wife and I are not into the big resort experience and this is another reason why we loved Bedarra. The staff are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and they'll remember your name, treat you like a king and then sing you a beautiful song at the end of your stay. I even got invited to play guitar with the house band. It just goes to show you how nice they are, cause they didn't know if I was any good but luckily my rendition of Hotel California was a hit (great song and I had to represent Cali).

The restaurant at Bedarra, was hands down our favorite place to eat in Fiji. The chefs have mastered the art of Indo-Fijian cuisine. I had one of the best steak dishes of my life there. And of course the fish dishes are a special delicacy.

If you're are into relaxing on the beach, Bedarra has a lovely beach and you can use their sea kayak for free. And if snorkeling is your thing, the reefs just in front of Bedarra are teeming with plenty of interesting sea creatures. Good place to snorkel with kids too, because the water is shallow and you don't need to go that far out to see all sorts of cool fish.

The next time I'm in Fiji, I will certainly be heading back to Bedarra Beach Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dustin G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,125)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Bedarra staff made my experience amazing. They were so attentive and polite. Betta, one of the female staff members, is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. I will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tyson Y
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We were a family of seven and we booked and turned up for dinner, they welcomed us for happy hour...great value and then seated us with care and a lot a happy smiles. We were treated to real hospitality ensuring we were comfortable with seats overlooking the ocean view. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was well priced and really good, we all enjoyed the food.., however you must try the chicken curry dish it is the house specialty and really lives up to all of the reviews to date. Enjoy!!!!!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Note: A rental car is NOT needed here, unless you don't want to be restricted by buses.

I rated this hotel 4 stars for the following reasons:

Pros:

1) Kayaking and snorkeling on site. However, if the tide is out which it was much of the 4 days during the heat of the day we were there, then snorkeling can be quite limited. Check your tide tables for this area before booking.
2) Nice area with Outrigger nearby, and convenient to Sigatoka.
3) Fabulous staff. Jonathon and Pena....you are both amazing.
4) Restaurant...Food was positively exquisite, and won't break the bank.
4) Size and type of room, especially honeymoon suite. Good value.

Cons:
1) If you are unable to provide a singing sendoff for most guests, then please do it for all. We were extremely disappointed when we watched this being done for other guests that were departing the next day, and no one made any attempt to do for us. This made us feel excluded, and hurt. Not a way to attract repeat business.
2) Rooms need a definite face lift. However, one of the owners approached us to gain access to our room to measure and do planning for a remodel. Am quite surprised they booked the room for that day, intruding on guests. For future travelers, I'm guessing you will soon have an updated honeymoon suite. Ask before booking.
3) Cost of drinks. Being from the U.S. my jaw literally dropped when I saw drinks were $22 FJ, which is about $15 US. Even the cruise lines are around $9 U.S. Some of the alcohol is even locally made, eliminating considerable expense to the hotel. Can you spell PRICE GOUGE?!? Get your own booze (local rum), and mixer (mango juice with lime, yum!), and make your own for very little cost. Happy hour is the ONLY time to bother buying their drinks.
4) DEC-MARCH is their rainy season. Warned to stay far away during this time. North American snowbirds...Oct, maybe Nov.

Would I return. Yes, but if into seeing large amounts of marine based wildlife such as turtles, etc, would definitely stay at outer islands that cater to this.

Room Tip: Large corner honeymoon suite provides spaciousness, along with best view for reasonable cost.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PickyTraveler_9
PhilFiji, Owner at Bedarra Beach Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Bula PT-9!!!

Thanks for the review, which I want to answer in full as some items fall into one or more of the following categories:

We can't fix it.
We shouldn't have allowed it.
We know and we're doing it.
We don't agree.

First your Pros:
Tides: Yes, if you want to be sure there is no moon low tide during your stay - check the tide tables because we can't "Fix" the tides - they are beyond our authority and, yes, at some times during the year the moon low happens during daylight hours. We wish it didn't but it does...

Now the Cons:
1)Farewell send off: Unforgivable - totally, and we are extremely embarrassed and apologetic. We knew the Thursday Lovo would be your last evening meal with us and you were to have received the staff's personal (and I find most touching) farewell "Isa Lei". We blew it.

A meeting of the staff involved has been held since we saw your review and various suggestions were put forward to make things up to you:
a) The band and staff offered to give up their day off to come to WA to personally sing for you (That idea didn't fly since there are 28 of them and they don't all get the same day off.)
b) The Duty Manager on that night should be demoted to beach raker (That idea didn't make sense as he works nights and wouldn't be able to see much)
c) The Staff club together and buy you a CD of the Bedarra Band Boys' songs - one of which is Isa Lei. (That made better sense but management decided that we would provide the CD. The Staff asked if they could all sign it for you. This is being done as we speak and will be on its way to you soon with a few tear stains on the jacket because we are soooo sorry).

2) Rooms: We know it and we're doing it - upgrading the room decor that is. (Room 9 was completed in October after you left). Yes, we disturbed you for a short time while re-taking some measurements due to the contractor "losing" the notes he took before you arrived. We had no choice but to ask your indulgence.

3) Cost of drinks: This is where we do not agree. I am from USA and know what drinks cost there and in Fiji. As with our restaurant, we make huge efforts to keep our bar prices reasonable. A multi-spirit cocktail at FJ$22 is not unreasonable and the correct conversion to US$ was US$12.10 during your stay - not US$15. I resent the label of Price Gouger and I think that our Happy Hour pricing of 50% off all drinks by the glass between 5pm and 6pm stands in total contrast to that label.

4) Rainy Season: This falls under the "We can't fix it" category - however, ask all our guests who book us to capacity in December and January each year and they won't agree with your "Stay far away" view point. Rainy Season isn't a 24 hr a day, 7 day a week event for 4 straight months.... We view the afternoon rain as natural air conditioning to cool down the summer heat...

Finally, I am delighted to see that our staff and service would bring you back to Fiji. We'd love to have you come visit us again and this time we'll get you to award us a 5 star rating - I guarantee it!

Vinaka
Phil

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I've just spent a wonderful week at Bedarra Beach Inn. Our daughter got married at The Outrigger however our family, the groom's family, most of the 60 wedding guests, & the bride & groom chose to stay at Bedarra. After spending some time visiting the Outrigger during the week we are all so glad we chose Bedarra. The rooms were clean & spacious with air con & fans. No TV or phone in the rooms ensured we had a quiet & relaxing stay. The restaurant food was delicious & reasonably priced, the cocktails were the best. The best thing about Bedarra by far is the staff - happy, friendly men & womem who went out of their way to make our stay special. They knew all our names & we felt part of the Bedarra family. Betta, Vani, Manoa, Jonathan, Mateo, & the lovely ladies who serviced our rooms daily. A special mention also to Giten the duty manager who made sure we were well looked after all the time and who was more than happy to make special arrangements for our large group. Vinaka vaka levu to all our new Bedarra friends, we look forward to going back there again.

4  Thank DebzRas
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Being from Fiji I've managed to visit quite a few resorts in the country.

That being said,I found myself booking a room at the Bedarra for a wedding I was attending at the Outrigger. The Bedarra was suggested to me by my family from Australia so I took their suggestion without question... and boy am I glad I did.

1. The room was clean, decore was nice and I love the creative figures they make out of hand towels.

2. The staff are the best I've experienced anywhere!!! Kindness at a new level and they actually get to the know the guests as well (it's as if they've known you for ages)

3. Happy hour! Everyday we made the most of the 5 - 6pm happy hour at the bar

4. Did I mention amazing staff? We had actually forgotten a watch on the beach.. My sister went crazy looking for it. We checked with reception and one of the maintanence staff had found it and logged it in lost and found. Nt only that, the day he saw us, he came up to us to advise that he had found the watch and left it at reception. That just gave me a massive amount of respect for the bedarra staff!!

4. Location - I love the location in the sunset strip. Right by the beach (white sand and blue ocean) a pool and neighboring restaurants and hotels to visit as well!

5. Food - ahh I ordered the prawn curry an my sis orders the ahi tuna. DELICIOUS!!!!! I loved it (took a bit of time to get the good after the order it that's my only minor negative).

All in all I found this to be my new favorite resort! Thanks to the bedarra and the amazing staff for making my visit one I will never forget :-)

Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Lionel R
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I am really struggling to put our stay into words.... Room was spacious,The Restaurant was superb, the staff warm and welcoming and genuinely interested in each and everyone of us. We arrived ahead of our party for a family wedding. Our family was treated like royalty. Other guests had some special needs and these were catered for beautifully.The hospitality shown to our group whether or not they stayed at Bedarra was just like we had invited them to our home and without even saying anything everything was looked after.
We were on a tight budget but felt as though we had ten star service at very reasonable prices.
The sense of fun and shared humour was terrific. The young children,cherished by the staff, were all catered for too. One family was there under very recent tragic circumstances having lost a family member the week before and they had hesitated to travel. They were very,very glad they made the effort as they would have missed their son's wedding if they hadn't. It takes a very special place to raise people's spirits under these circumstances.
We cannot fault this venue at all!
Sus and Don Leayr
Albury

2  Thank AussieSusanna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Tambua Sands
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 10 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Bedarra Beach Inn? Share your experiences!