“Village welcome”

Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Village welcome”
Reviewed 29 November 2012

As a Early Childhood Educator in Australia, I was keen to meet with the local Kindergarten to see the area and take things they needed. I spoke with the reosrt where I was staying before I left Australia and they told me that the Kindergarten needed posters and reading books. I got a collection of clothing for all of the families in the vilage as well as reading books and posters. When I took them into the Kindy, Vinaka was aplenty!! The children were wonderous as they looked through their new things and they sang a lot of songs to say Vinaka and show us what they are learning. I am happy to say that I have Amelia's contact details and the children from my Kindergarten will be working on letters to the children in Fiji! A great experience and well worth the visit!

Visited November 2012
8 Thank Kristi W

Noosaville, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Overwhelming”
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We visited this beautiful village on the 25/10/12. We chose this village as this was the girls from our resort home. What an overwhelming experience. We went into Sigatoka and bought crayons, pencils, chalk, books etc for their kindy. When we gave them to the teacher Amelia she started to cry which made us all a bit emotional. A young gorgeous girl Mary showed us through the village meeting her grandma, her dad the mayor and a few other family members. What a privilage to be able to enter their homes and be welcome as we were. It sure does make you think about what we take for granted. I truely believe they are far more richer than us in so many ways.

Visited October 2012
5 Thank Michelle L
Melbourne
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“great vies”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I had the honour of attending church service were I was welcomed with open arms, and made to feel like one of the family. The singing was amazing and the children a delight. They have some of the best coast line where they fish and play. Everyone is part of one big family, and they are all so happy. I wish the rugby team well, as the reverend was not so happy with their performance. He said if they don't play well, they should join the choir.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank LeeW27
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A "REEL" FIJI EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Skeg and Dwayne, what's wrong with you. We visited Vatukarasa Village on 3 occasions. They are the warmest, friendliest people you could ever wish to meet. Respect them and their way of life and they welcome you as one of their own. The village is what it is, it's not a resort, it's home to 400 Fijian locals. If you want to experience real Fijian culture, then this is where you will find it, amongst real Fijian people. Life here is slow and relaxed. The children are so happy and friendly, no Iphones, no Ipods, they are happy just to play and dance. We befriended 1 family in particular and were privileged to be invited for a traditional Fijian feast on our last night in Fiji. Probably the best meal we had all trip. We sat around in the Bure and talked, listened and learned. It was a wonderful experience we will take to our graves.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank stephen p
Waimate, New Zealand
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Bugger-all there...”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Somewhere we passed through regularly and one of the staff at our hotel lived there. Went for a walk ourselves and one of those places where the folks pretty much live their lives and put up with idiots poking about looking at their houses and pigs and laundry. Is a good spot to have a look at the building techniques though.

Visited September 2011