“Awsome Home Stay”

Colonial Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Phoenix, Arizona
“Awsome Home Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our family of 5 found this a great place to stay in Suva. Close to all locations excellent host and great breakfast! We were looking for a economical place to stay and found so much more, interisting guests Fijian culture and history, pool, ping pong or just relaxing and reading. My wife and I shared a double room and the kids stayed in a 3 room dorm style room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill M
suvabedandbreakfast, Owner at Colonial Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Bill and family,

Thank you for your positive comments about the lodge. It was a pleasure hosting you, and the kids really hit it off well! Good luck with your sailing around the Pacific and if you're ever in this neck of woods again, we'd love to see you!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mediterranean
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

The owner is constantly whining about the other guests to us, when she is not complaining about how expensive her bills are and how little money she makes. They are also constantly switching off the lights ( even before I make it down the stairs), to save a few penny's I suppose?

Then there is the dog at the gate that is very unpredictable and aggressive at times. The owner once said that the dog barked at me because "I look Fijian and the dog doesn't like Fijians"... which is nonsense on so many levels.

I also completely agree with the other poster below who wrote; "The owner tends to think of this lodge not as a lodge but as a "home stay" (she says this openly), so you may not have a chance for independence or privacy you could easily get elsewhere. Instead, odds are that you will be subjected to ever changing house rules and a bipolar psychology of the landlady."

It is kind of like a mix between a homestay and hostel, but somehow manges to combine the worst aspects of being a hostel and homestay. You have all these rules in places ( as the worst hostels do) and you have limited freedom and privacy ( as the worst homestays tend to have).

Avoid, if you can. It is a far cry from a real fijian experience.

4 Thank pumpkinheads
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I were working in Suva and used the Colonial Lodge as our first port of call. The plan was to use this as a base until we found somewhere else.
Well, we ended up staying the whole three months. It was just right for our needs. Really handy to town, and particularly public transport. Also a good turnover of interesting people from all over the place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 332Travellers
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Colonial Lodge is by far the best place to stay in Suva! I stayed for 1 week and didn't want to leave. It is perfect for solo travellers as there are always other guests or family to chat to. Also great for families, couples etc ( a family of 5 was staying while I was there and they loved it).
I stayed in a dorm and it was clean and comfortable although it didn't have a curtain on one of the open windows which looks into the main hallway (but it didn't really bother me and I'm pretty sure you could ask for one). Suzie the owner is a lovely and genuine person and goes out of her way to make sure you are comfortable and she is able to give advice on everything around Suva (even drew me a map to get to a good little cafe for breakfast) and made sure my suitcase was locked away safely when I wasn't around for a couple of days. Her sons and father who also live at the house are amazing and are around to take care of you. The whole atmosphere really makes you feel like you're going home at the end of each day. Breakfast is included and isn't just your typical b&b meal. It was different everyday (all homemade omelettes, banana pancakes, fresh fruit). You can have dinner with the family for 14FJD and it's probably cheaper than other restaurants and more authentic. I didn't bother going out to restaurants when I could share a delicious meal and conversation with the family and other guests.
Colonial Lodge is minutes walk down hill from the main city centre and bus station which travels everywhere in Suva or the bus to the coral coast and Nadi which is perfect if you need to catch an early bus to the coral coast. It is also minutes walk from about 5 major supermarkets so if you do wish to prepare meals at the lodge there is good cooking facilities and microwave in the main area and access to lots of shops close by.
Definitely recommend this wonderful lodge , wish there were more places around like this for travellers!!!

4 Thank Ali_1234255060
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed at the colonial lodge for 4 weeks as part of my medical elective and they couldn’t have made me feel more welcome and comfortable. As soon as i had been shown my room i was being offered a drink and a chat and told useful tips and great places to go in suva. The centre of town is literally minutes away but you can’t hear the town from the lodge. It has a nice garden which is lovely to sit in.
As i was travelling alone i choose to have my evening meals with the family aswell as the breakfast which is included and i really bonded with the owner(suzie) and her family and they take an interest in you and what you are up to. Suzie is an amazing cook so i think i put on some weight eating all the wonderful meals. Furthermore i can’t eat wheat and they took this into consideration. I used the fridge multiple times for my own food and there was never an issue and i know other guests placed food and drink in there and removed
One night i was heading to a bar in town and the grandfather (mozzy) asked me if i had change for a taxi and as i didn’t, he lent me the money so i was safe, This is a typical example of how considerate they are at the colonial lodge,
The two boys who mother owns the house are lovely, polite boys who will help you with anything from where to go in suva to paying pool with you. They really brightened up my days.
My room in the dorm had a mosquito net and net covering the windows to stop the mosquitos biting me when i used them correctly. My room had a fan to keep me cool and was spacious and in the shared bathroom there was warm showers which i loved as i hate with a passion cold showers.
One thing i love about the colonial lodge was the hammock in the communal lounge upstairs which i spent many an hour relaxing in. I also used the wifi multiple times with no issues in the communal area.
The guard dogs are fine with tourists even when you come in in the early hours of the morning after a night on the town and made me feel safe.
i met many people who were only stopping for one or two nights and they made them feel as welcome too. if you want some me time you can spend it in your room and no one will bother you or you can find a quite spot in the garden.
By the end it felt like my fiji home and i did not want to leave.

2 Thank sonia M
Fiji
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed twice, 3 + 6 days, at this place because of its good location and price. I regret both of my stays, especially the second, when I sought a long term accomodation as my plans in Suva had suddenly changed. If you simply wish to crash for a night at this place, Colonial Lodge may be a very good choice, otherwise skip it. The owner tends to think of this lodge not as a lodge but as a "home stay" (she says this openly), so you may not have a chance for independence or privacy you could easily get elsewhere. Instead, odds are that you will be subjected to ever changing house rules and a bipolar psychology of the landlady.

I am an independent IT professional and I was looking for a peaceful place to stay in Suva to work on my project for a couple of weeks, while travelling around Pacific. My stay abruptly ended when Suzie, the owner of Colonial Lodge, and her male "business partner" (who suddenly appeared on last day), evicted me out of my room without an advance notice, without a good reason and in the middle of my lunch preparation. I asked for two hours to pack my stuff and finish the lunch, and was asked to pay 10 $ for these two hours! The initial reason was "my room has been booked from today", but after a short discussion the reason changed to a more outrageous one "that I make her sick". How I did this remains unknown to me. I paid my accomodation well in advance and never broke any common sense rule (nor any other special house rule that I was told of). I never brought anybody to my room, did not make noise and was friendly with everybody, for example.

To be sure, I rented rooms for long stays in 4 different countries and have dealt with a variety of landlord/landlady mentalities. I have never been evicted in my life nor did I have even unpleasant experiences worth writing of. I spoke with patient understanding to Suzie, kept adjusting to ever changing rules such as the usage of kitchen (what is the deadline for opening a fridge in the evening? - undefined) and WiFi (is it free? at what time is it free? does it exist? - unknown). I must say that she appears to be a lone, nervous, conflict-seeking woman; a rather bad representative of Fijian hospitality. At one random day, her hostility mounted within seconds, starting out of a trifle: my request for a mosquito net (as I saw other beds in the lodge had it). It was too obvious that something else was troubling her. I couldn't believe when she suddenly started swearing at me with most vulgar wording and started throwing things around.

By the way, another lady from London was paying $70 per night for a similar accomodation as mine, just next to my room, while I was paying only $28. This gives you an idea of her random and arrogant business model - "take as much as you can".

A cleaning girl also quit this lodge just after two weeks of work because she was being maltreated, workinh overtime and like a slave.

Finally, there was a drama with another guest before me when some of her stuff was confiscated (!) by Suzie.

In short, I strongly advise you to stay away from this rather strange place, especially if you with to stay for more than one day.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank dakuapesi
suzie y, Manager at Colonial Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
This review contains untruths and furthermore attempts to mislead potential guests to the lodge.

Firstly, he was asked to leave the apartment of a couchsurfing host in Suva before he checked into the Colonial Lodge. So he needs to adjust his behavior to fit in with the culture and hospitality of Fijian people. We are not in the habit of throwing anyone out of our homes and if the lodge was the second place to do so in a span of three days, then the problem lies with the reviewer!

Secondly he fails to mention that the lady from London had two children, aged 10 and 7. Thirdly she was only paying $66 for the three of them together and not $70 for herself only as the review is implying.
Armidale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

My 3 children and I love everything about the Colonial Lodge. We loved the people, atmosphere, staff, breakfast, location and the value for money. I recommend it to everyone I meet, especially those traveling on a budget.

Room Tip: The room upstairs might be the pick of the bunch or the two person dwelling out the back. There are...