“Great location, great price but poor quality” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colonial Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Colonial Lodge Bed & Breakfast
“Great location, great price but poor quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We basically stayed here based on recommendations. The lodge is only a 5 minute walk to the centre and the cinema which is great. However, the rooms are downstairs and very old and grimey. Only some of the bunks have mosquito nets, although they were so dirty I didn't use it anyway. We burned coils all night instead. The wifi is only available between 8 & 8.30 pm which we missed as we were at the cinema! The breakfast is 7am - 9.15, but when we arrived at breakfast at about 8.30 am everything was already made and gone cold. A cold boiled egg, cold pancakes, bread with jam or peanut butter and cold porridge. I wish we had just been told what time breakfast was going to be made and we would have gotten up earlier to eat it while it was warm!! Also, don't expect to sleep here. Noise starts about 7 am with people talking, shouting, stomping around the main house above the rooms. All in all, stay here for 1-2 nights just to see Suva if you're on a budget and then go!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lorna M
suvabedandbreakfast, Owner at Colonial Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Hi Lorna, I am apologise for the substandard service you experienced at the lodge. For your information we are trying to resolve the issues you highlighted. We are now 60% complete with painting the whole house upstairs and downstairs. We strive to give a little extra for free such as the wifi and complimentary breakfast. The place is looking fabulous and bright and if you ever in Suva, you are welcome to a complimentary night with us. I thank you once again for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Having read the reviews of the Colonial Lodge and noted how close it was to down town I decided to check it out for my overnight stay in Suva. The location was great, justa 5 minute walk to gthe bus terminal. The price was great, just 30 Fiji dollars a night. The staff were wonderful, really genuine and sincire. The room, well, that let this place down.

I did not expect much, considering what I was paying, but well I did expect clean sheets. The first bed I looke at looked clean until I lifted the sheet. It was stained and had some weird crusty white stuff on it that I sincierly hoped was laundry powder and not something else. The other sheets had writing on them and really some should be replaced.The room walls had 3 holes in the bottom. During the night a very large cockroach crawled out of one of the holes (the one nearest the door) and wandered around the walls. I hate cockroaches. The lower floor walls were all in need of a coat of paint. The bathroom smeled of poo when I arrived and thankfully it smelled better in the morning.

Upstairs was clean though.

Again, the staff, service and breackfast were great. I can not fault that what so ever. I think a coat of fresh paint and some attention to detail in cleaning or replacing the sheets is needed. Of course that's easy for me to say, as I expect paint and sheets cost a lot more proprtionatly in Fiji where everyone's income is a lot lower than mine.

I do reccomend this place as a good cheap stay, but consider taking your own sheet and then donating it as you leave.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RomanaCbr
Thank you so much for your review. This is to confirm that we have painted the lodge and it looks great. It really did need a coat of paint which is why your comments are valuable. Its amazing what a coat of paint can do to transform a room. Also we've had pest control come and fumigate the property both inside and out. Now that it is the slow season, we've had a lot of time on our hands to upgrade our facilities. If you ever back in Fiji, please come and claim a complimentary night with us!! PS. We also have new linen and a new laundry liquid soap for sheets as opposed to the powder which tends not to lather properly and leaves a white residue on beddings.
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

The Colonial Lodge is run by Suzie, a one-woman army who runs the business solo. She has the talent and wits to run a broadway show. Her two children also help in the chores of the house and the lodge, which mix into one.

I met Suzie through a friend, and not only decided to stay at the lodge but also returned after my attachment had ended. I am originally from Brazil, living in Sweden, having travelled over 30 countries. CL is by far the best experience I have had.

I was very chocked by the low reviews and the insensitive/unrealistic complaints in this page. Among many things, some guests have been unable to differentiate cultural shock from the quality of being hosted at CL. If had to mention 5 things no one seemed to have respected and accredited to CL:
- Suzie has been able to maintain a friendly and safe environment despite hardships associated with having a business in Fiji for over 15 years;
- CL is security conscious and maintains a reputation for its safety, in a city where house are being broken into all the time;
- No one acknowledged the hardships associated with providing material wellbeing in Fiji, where salaries are unimaginably low and every imported goods are 3 times the price of Australia - CL maintains a high standard for comfort and wellbeing (don't scorn hot water in Fiji!);
- No 'bad reviewer' has attempted to step into Suzie's shoes, and to compare her reception to an average Fijian household - at CL you are in for a very comfortable, warm and safe reception if you allow it - seeing her as an individual and not the role she plays if key here;
- Do not go to CL if you a culturally insensitive and egoistic person who wants to pay nothing and be treated like Queen Elizabeth - sometimes a good time doesn't come in golden linens but in a friendly smile and a nice meal - allow yourself to appreciate that and don't be a sour puss.

The day I left colonial lodge, we sang and played the guitar to the "Isa Lei" goodbye fijian song. It was a special moment in my life to feel so dear.

I highly respect the owner of CL and highly recommend to travelers looking for a home in the Pacific.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank John J
Thank you so much John for an awesome review! It is certainly good advise to travellers who let the initial culture shock affect their judgement of Fiji. We prod along anyway and who knows, one day Queen Elizabeth may just check in!! Good luck with your studies in Uppsala, Sweden and look forward to seeing you again in Fiji when you're done.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our family of 5 found this a great place to stay in Suva. Close to all locations excellent host and great breakfast! We were looking for a economical place to stay and found so much more, interisting guests Fijian culture and history, pool, ping pong or just relaxing and reading. My wife and I shared a double room and the kids stayed in a 3 room dorm style room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill M
Dear Bill and family,

Thank you for your positive comments about the lodge. It was a pleasure hosting you, and the kids really hit it off well! Good luck with your sailing around the Pacific and if you're ever in this neck of woods again, we'd love to see you!!
Mediterranean
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

The owner is constantly whining about the other guests to us, when she is not complaining about how expensive her bills are and how little money she makes. They are also constantly switching off the lights ( even before I make it down the stairs), to save a few penny's I suppose?

Then there is the dog at the gate that is very unpredictable and aggressive at times. The owner once said that the dog barked at me because "I look Fijian and the dog doesn't like Fijians"... which is nonsense on so many levels.

I also completely agree with the other poster below who wrote; "The owner tends to think of this lodge not as a lodge but as a "home stay" (she says this openly), so you may not have a chance for independence or privacy you could easily get elsewhere. Instead, odds are that you will be subjected to ever changing house rules and a bipolar psychology of the landlady."

It is kind of like a mix between a homestay and hostel, but somehow manges to combine the worst aspects of being a hostel and homestay. You have all these rules in places ( as the worst hostels do) and you have limited freedom and privacy ( as the worst homestays tend to have).

Avoid, if you can. It is a far cry from a real fijian experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank pumpkinheads
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I were working in Suva and used the Colonial Lodge as our first port of call. The plan was to use this as a base until we found somewhere else.
Well, we ended up staying the whole three months. It was just right for our needs. Really handy to town, and particularly public transport. Also a good turnover of interesting people from all over the place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 332Travellers
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Colonial Lodge is by far the best place to stay in Suva! I stayed for 1 week and didn't want to leave. It is perfect for solo travellers as there are always other guests or family to chat to. Also great for families, couples etc ( a family of 5 was staying while I was there and they loved it).
I stayed in a dorm and it was clean and comfortable although it didn't have a curtain on one of the open windows which looks into the main hallway (but it didn't really bother me and I'm pretty sure you could ask for one). Suzie the owner is a lovely and genuine person and goes out of her way to make sure you are comfortable and she is able to give advice on everything around Suva (even drew me a map to get to a good little cafe for breakfast) and made sure my suitcase was locked away safely when I wasn't around for a couple of days. Her sons and father who also live at the house are amazing and are around to take care of you. The whole atmosphere really makes you feel like you're going home at the end of each day. Breakfast is included and isn't just your typical b&b meal. It was different everyday (all homemade omelettes, banana pancakes, fresh fruit). You can have dinner with the family for 14FJD and it's probably cheaper than other restaurants and more authentic. I didn't bother going out to restaurants when I could share a delicious meal and conversation with the family and other guests.
Colonial Lodge is minutes walk down hill from the main city centre and bus station which travels everywhere in Suva or the bus to the coral coast and Nadi which is perfect if you need to catch an early bus to the coral coast. It is also minutes walk from about 5 major supermarkets so if you do wish to prepare meals at the lodge there is good cooking facilities and microwave in the main area and access to lots of shops close by.
Definitely recommend this wonderful lodge , wish there were more places around like this for travellers!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo