“Clean, convenient and friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Five Princes Hotel

Five Princes Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Suva
Sydney
“Clean, convenient and friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Five Princes was a good place to stay for its convenience (5 minute taxi ride at about FJ $4) into Suva and for its sense of being away from it all. The old home has a wonderful verandah at the side and rear which was lovely to breakfast on but also a nice place to sit in the evening. While it was a work trip, it was a nice restful and relaxing place to come back to and the staff were warm and friendly.
I stayed in a garden cottage which had a small kitchenette but limited to a bar fridge, toaster and kettle plus some crockery. It would be fine if you wanted to self cater for breakfast or make a sandwich but not much more. The bathroom was clean and the towels were plentiful and were replaced. There was reverse cycle aircon plus ceiling fan but as it was winter (27degrees celsius) not really required. If you like blankets or a hairdryer, you may have to ask for these as they were not provided in the room.

There was a supermarket a few hundred metres up the street plus a decent restaurant and bakery up the hill but not too far away. We did not have dinner at the hotel but it was available. We had organised full breakfast but this was a simple affair so don't come with expectations that this will gird your loins for the day. Eggs made to order with a small garnish of tomato and bacon was what we had each day. There was a coffee machine on the breakfast counter and this did make decent coffee.

Room Tip: It may be worth paying more for a garden cottage if you prefer privacy. In the main house I think ba...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Foreignforays

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nadi, Fiji
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Its a lovely hotel which is not really far from the city. I'm actually kinda picky on hotel rooms, but the one that I stayed was great, its CLEAN, the high water pressure shower is good and the staffs I met are so friendly and helpful. I'd definitely come back again if I have chance to go to Suva again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ROSEINOCEANIA
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We enjoyed a relaxed and easy 2 night stay in one of the bures which could not have been more comfortable, especially as we were travelling with out 2 year old. A cot and bedding was provided upon request, and there was plenty of room in the bure to accommodate it along with a couch, table and chairs, a fridge, toaster, kettle and everything we needed to make out stay homely and easy. Out every window we only saw lush green gardens and it felt very private and safe.

The room and main building had plenty of Pacifica charm, and we enjoyed our sunset drinks on the balcony overlooking Suva, along with a delightful steak dinner at the restaurant, which our expat friends described as 'the best in Fiji'.

All the staff were lovely and we were always greeted with a warm smile, making us feel right at home. If you are looking for accommodation in Suva with character in a lovely tropical garden environment chose Five Prices Hotel :-)

Room Tip: A bure is best!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank laurenp_oz
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Arrived late from Nadi for a one night stay only but the hotel staff were ready, friendly and showed us to a big room with large bathroom. Watched the rugby on TV! Wifi available at a charge but was reasonably fast.
Breakfast was good, fruit and bread / pastries with eggs available at an additional price. The hotel is a bit out of town but a 10 minute taxi ride can get you to the market and the museum.

Room Tip: We were at the end of the building on the road side but the room was quiet. The hotel also offers v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mld1961
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

When I arrived the internet wasn't working. As it was a business trip, this was a major inconvenience. When I heard about the internet rates I was shocked, upwards of $25 a day, with $5 for 30 minutes. This is quite excessive as you can get a month of internet for $25 at Vodaphone.

Of course when I arrived it was directly after my flight. They asked if I wanted to make a reservation for dinner and I decided to do so since the hotel is so far out of town. However, once again, the dining experience was incredibly inappropriate for a business guest as it was a fine dining setting with live music, white table clothes and one waiter for each table. I think most business travelers are just looking for simple casual meals. They offered different course packages that started at 59FD and ended at 300FD or some crazy price. Who wants to eat a 5 course meal alone?! They let me order just an entree, which was nice. But it was still too much, too much attention and formality, not at all the casual dinning experience that I had wanted. I wish I had asked to have the meal in my room, that was my fault. It's a very nice place for a special occasion - it's too bad they don't offer a simpler option.

I haven't had breakfast here yet. The continental is $20 FD, which is a pretty high price for coffee and toast. Hopefully it's more than that.

I must say that the decor is quite nice. The room has beautiful hard wood floors, the bathroom has pretty blue tiles and a nice big shower. A nice big bed with quite a firm mattress and cotton sheets. The common areas are quite nice as well. Their only issue on the aesthetics is the awful carpet they have put in the hallway leading to the rooms. It's really terrible. There's a TV and DVD player which is nice for these rainy nights. Nothing on TV of course but you can get cheap DVDs in town if you're stuck in the rain like me.

I'm enjoying the stay, my issue is that I feel the room rate is quite high and I'm not getting enough value. I feel that at this price I should be getting a few amenities for free, like breakfast and internet. The continental breakfast should definitely be included, especially since I have been so inconvenienced with having to sort out my internet needs since theirs isn't available. They haven't made any effort to correct for this inconvenience which is disappointing and frankly I think its inconsiderate since they've called many taxis for me today knowing that I'm having to sort out the internet issue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary J
Kansas City, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Though well within the City of Suva and close to everything, it feels more like a mountain resort with the reception, restaurant and some rooms at the top of a hill and other rooms (along with the pool) accessed by a short trail down the side of the hill. The rooms are nice, comfortable and have a very pleasant, homey feel that is welcome after travels with stops at international style hotels that look the same everywhere in the world. Friendly people, decent food that is well prepared (though a bit pricey for the area) and nice surroundings make it one of my favorite places in Suva for short stays. It is right next to one of the campuses of the Fiji National University and along the street are several very good Indian and local food restaurants as well as shops. Downtown Suva is a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute ride.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are particularly nice but all are quite good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sunnyguy61
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Five Princess is located outside of the downtown belt and off a well used road, but it offers travelers homely comfort and quiet. The rooms are cheery and the staff was solicitous and efficient but low key. I had a friend staying in an international chain hotel at the same time I was at Five Princes, and when we compared rates and experiences, we determined I paid half the rate and had the more satisfying experience.
The only thing to note is that the food, including the continental breakfast, is rather expensive. During a stay, consider taking a quick and inexpensive taxi ride into town for your dinners.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Terri S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 12 in Suva
Novotel Suva Lami Bay

Been to Five Princes Hotel? Share your experiences!