“Early Check In”
Review of Holiday Inn Suva

Holiday Inn Suva
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My partner and I were in Suva for a Wedding and were hoping the that suite that we booked was ready for early check-in. The suite was not ready and after explaining our situation, we were given another room to shower and change for the wedding. Left our bags at reception and returned to a room key for the suite with our suitcases in the suite. Definiately going the extra mile.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Doug B,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay experience at the Holiday Inn Suva and I am pleased to know that our team delivered their best to ensure that you and your partner were looked after.
Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Preston Msikelly

Reviewed 10 February 2014

From check in to check out, all we have to say is that the staff is very friendly and helpful! The lobby looks new as the indoor restaurant. The room we had was on the first floor. No lift but you get help if needs be :) We were upgraded to a king size bed with a view on the harbour. We loved the feel of the room and unlike another comment we read, the carpet did not stick! The nan bread pizza was so good. We travelled with our 13 months old baby girl and she got all the attention needed. We liked that the hotel has an adult and a kid pool. Both are cleaned daily, however due to the proximity of the road, the kid's pool need to be cleaned more often as it was quickly filled with leaf, and some black dirt from. Overall, we will pick that place again for our next stay. It is within walking distance of everything and very safe. Cab to town is less than 3 FJD. Bus is 60 cents FJD. Thank you Holiday Inn Suva!

Room Tip: Ask for the King size bed room on the first floor facing the swimming pool. You get incredible sunse...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Limb H,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time spent at Holiday Inn Suva.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and your review was greatly received by the team as well.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Holiday Inn is a good hotel in Suva. It is close to Parliament and the city which is good for business travellers. The rooms are large but dated. The food is good with an outdoor pizza kitchen where they play live music. The staff are friendly and nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ant W
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear AntW,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. The proximity of the hotel to the city's CBD allows our guests to have easy access to the city. We're glad to know you enjoyed our pool deck with the entertainment offered and enjoy our woodfired pizzas.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights to attend a friend's wedding (not held at the hotel).
I think this is the best of the chain hotels that Suva has to offer, and location is in the middle of town. I picked this hotel as I thought it would be safest (was travelling on my own).
Service was very friendly, and after-sales service very good.
It's pricey for what you get, but it's probably the best there is in Suva. Would recommend but only because of the lack of choice in Suva.

The lobby and checkin are great, very friendly helpful staff.
You have to walk through the restaurant/bar area then outside to the pool area to get to most of the rooms, which are on wings either side. There are two floors, and the 2nd floor is accessible by stairs (I didn't see any lifts but I presume they exist). The first room I got was on the right, bottom floor, at the very end of the hall. The view was of washed up rubbish from the harbour and some random guy sitting in a truck staring at me. There are tiles on the floors in the ground floor rooms but they were not that clean and the room had a very dark, damp feel.
As the room opened out to the garden, I didn't feel very safe so requested a room change. The 2nd room I was given was on the 2nd floor, but hadn't been cleaned (beds unmade etc). The 3rd room was fine - king bed, spacious, clean, looked out over the garden and could see the pool and sea through the trees.
Suva is very humid though, and there was a pervasive damp smell / feel and the carpet always felt sticky, even though I left the AC on all the time (rooms on 2nd floor have carpet). Not really the hotel's fault. The way the rooms are laid out with the balcony, means there's not a lot of natural light coming into the room. Hotel hallways could do with a bit of a refresh but they're serviceable.
Amenities are much better than I expected of a Holiday Inn - full coffee / tea amenities with UHT milk in the mini-fridge. Great bathroom amenities (although some of the boxes had been emptied and not refilled). Shower had decent pressure. Could do with a decent bathroom mirror though - quite had to get close to for applying makeup etc.
Room had safe and iron. Bed was pretty comfortable with firm and soft pillows to choose from.
Balcony was accessible through two doors with locks. I only heard room doors banging and some hallway noise.
Security-wise, I felt pretty safe, although I was hassled by some drunk bar patrons as I walked though on my way back to the room one night which made me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Food and bar was pretty decent, and once converted back to NZD, seemed on-par with NZ hotel prices (which are expensive by international standards). Buffet breakfast was $38 FJD with an omelette station and decent selection of food. Service was, well, relaxed, but I was expecting that. Always polite and friendly.
Didn't really use the facilities but the pool seemed popular. Weekends are pretty quiet, I expect the weekdays are filled up with business visitors etc, although I did see a few long-stay expats.
Taxis are available from the hotel and within the town, it's maybe $3-5 FJD to get around the town.
Suva airport is 45 mins drive away and the hotel can organise a car for $35.

On checkout, comped me my meals because of the hassles I had checking into a room. This was really nice and shows that the staff go out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. I also had followup emails from the manager(s) which was a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor if you have security concerns. Ask for an inner room for a nice vie...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Bula Welly_China_Girl,

Thank you for your review.

First of all thank you for sharing regarding our service delivery here at the Holiday Inn Suva. I am pleased to say that our team with the best of their ability provides the best service expected of them that I am very proud of.

In regards to your check in experience, my sincerest apologies that you had to experience being room moved 3 times and and please rest assured that I have taken action on this to ensure that this does not happen again to any of our guests.

Welly_China_Girl, please accept my sincerest apologies again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

a great central location
easy to access
pizzas are great good variety of toppings yummy
just one tip service on drinks could be faster could sell more
staff lovely and very friendly
nicely set out in sun or inside in air con to sit
nice entertainment

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear AnneMarei1,

Thank you for your review and it's great to know that you enjoyed our Woodfired Pizzas and entertainment at the pool deck. I've liaised with our Food & Beverage department in regards to the service as well.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We only stayed here overnight on route from one of the msmaller island back to Nadi - Suva is a bit drab, especially on public holidays (The Prophet's Birthday??? Who knew?)
The good first: great location in Suva near the Museum (which was closed), nice pool with water-slide, nice bar with great pizza. Now the bad:
Firstly despite reserving 2 rooms for 5 people in one family and getting email confirmation, on check in there seemed a great deal of confusion. The 2 rooms ended up on different levels despite starting with the same number.
Despite very hot day, Air Cond was off in our room. When asked to be shown how to work it, the staff member seemed totally out of his depth and seemed to be pushing buttons at random on the remote, including setting the remote to 30 deg C! It turned out the remote needed a code to be entered to work properly!
After finally getting it to work, the staff member stayed in the room and kept asking "is it working now?" To which the answer was (repeatedly) "Yes, thank you." until we finally had to ask him to leave so we could get changed.

Room Tip: Ask them to get A/C working BEFORE check-in
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zanarail
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Zanarail,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our woodfired pizzas during your stay, however it's disappointing to learn that your stay was marred by your check in experience regarding your rooms and the air condition and I've shared your review with the Front Office Manager.

Thank you once again for your review as we both welcome positive and constructive feedback as this provides traction for the hotel

Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night on January 3, 2014. I admit, I was a bit worried by some of the reviews about the rooms, etc. We did have an issue with our room, but it was immediately corrected, and I chose not to write about it in all fairness, it was not an issue any more once resolved.

The bathroom had been renovated to a very good standard, shower worked well, and the toiletries provided were lovely Fijian Frangiapani lotion, shower gel, shampoo. The bed was remarkably comfortable and pillows were good, great linens too. Albeit, the carpet and walls were in need of a renovation. I understand it's the tropics and humidity can be a factor to some of the wear and tear of decor. Our king sized room was spacious and comfortable, with a kettle, tea and coffee facilities with real mugs, not plastic (all clean) and a good refrigerator stocked with a for-purchase mini-bar. Brilliant. We had a room overlooking the waterfront and the end of the grassy common area, on the upper floor away from the lobby area and where food was being served. There is a sliding glass door with a screened door leading to the balcony, and sound did travel but it was quiet in the evening.

The pizza is the hotel's saving grace for food. Honestly, they were brilliant and BIG , so be prepared with an empty stomach to enjoy it all. I had a non-alcoholic fruit punch cocktail which was fantastic and followed by Fijian beers. We tried the selection of local beer offered, all good. Food served in the evening was the one disappointment as there wasn't an indoor sit down restaurant. We had to eat outside which is fine for some, but it was hot and travelling from the UK it was a bit much for us. Anyway, the selection was fine, but the menus should be more consolidated. It was a bit of a chore looking at a variety of menus. I ordered a chicken burger which was good, and fresh fruit plate with an added scoop of ice cream on request.

Breakfast was good, although we found serving spoons not out and eggs were a bit delayed. Aside from this, the variety of hot and cold foods was fine, and the fresh fruit was the best. Papaya and passion fruit was absolutely the best. The small, golden pineapple was sweet and probably some of the best I have eaten. I am still rating service as excellent, because the staff were genuinely helpful and efficient.

Check in as well as check out was fast and the staff were genuine to ask how our stay was at check out. The service in table service for drinks was great and we have to compliment the staff on their courtesy and service. There is a fantastic porter service. As there was no visible elevator, the bags had to be carried up the flight of stairs by the hotel porter. I am not certain about wheelchair access on that note, so please inquire if booking an upper level room.

Just so you are aware, because the property is "a waterfront hotel", doesn't mean there is a beach. It is more a small bay that is tidal, so no swimming except in the hotel's pool. A good atmosphere in the evening, security patrolled the hotel, and we found that it was pleasant to just sit and watch the sunset sipping on a few beers. We paid for internet use, and found it to be reliable, fast and a good signal. These days, paying for internet is hot-topic of discussion when staying in a hotel, but it's at least available, and it was our choice to pay the fee for 24 hours usage.

It's a good hotel to use in transit, but if I were going to stay in Fiji, I would hope to be on a white sand beach somewhere .....the location is what it is, but overall it was a good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms that are above the lobby would experience more noise, as there are speakers around the dining...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SeaGems1971

Dear SeaGems1971,

Thank you for your kind review regarding you recent stay with us.

I'm glad that our team was able to assist you immediately with your room and it's also sounding to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the facilities that we have to offer.

In regards to your meal experience, I do apologize that you had to have your meal outdoors, please rest assured that this is just a temporary setup as our restaurant is currently undergoing renovation.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Preston Miskelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
0 mi away
Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva

Been to Holiday Inn Suva? Share your experiences!