“Worst Meal Ever”
Review of Holiday Inn Suva

Holiday Inn Suva
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I went to Holiday Inn restaurant on 14th Feb for Valentine’s Day Dinner. They had valentines special and it was $65.00 per person. With prior booking made my fiancée and I made our way to the Restaurant @ 7.30pm. There were only 3-4 waitresses in comparison to about 80-100 people.

When i called to make reservations, I was told by the receiver that the deal was $55pp with a 6 course meal. I paid a deposit to secure my booking but upon arrival I was overwhelmed with such terrible service. The food menu was VERY LIMITED. My main course was the size of a kid’s meal. My food took more than hour to arrive. My drinks were served to me after 30 long minutes of endless waiting.

I ordered the deal and as much as I hate to say this I need to speak the truth, I have never in my life tasted such pathetic food before (with all due respect to the food). IT was served in coconut scrap. Who the hell eats coconut and lamb stew for $65.00pp? My fiancee was equally disappointed. His dish was 2 small pieces of fish that were actually the size of my fist probably with coconut cream and tiny 7cm*2mm dalo chips. Pathetic. It spoilt our valentines night out and the coconut cream resulted in running stomach.

The one good thing about the entire evening was the live band which with regret ended at 9pm!!! Seriously? Thats when the party beings. Reading the reviews I was highly motivated, having experienced it first hand, I would say a big NO NO. I always go out for dinner every Friday and I would recommend I-Crave, Bad Dog and Shanghai for all of you out there. Never take a risk on Valentines.

Holiday Inn-IMPROVE the quality of your food, vary your menu, gives customers value for their money and importantly have more hands on deck during the busy period for a better personalized service.

Room Tip: I would never eat at Holiday Inn EVER!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank artika d
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Artika,
Thank you for your honest review regarding your recent experience here at the Holiday Inn Suva. It is indeed regretful to learn of your dissatisfaction

Please accept my sincerest apology that we did not deliver on this special day. I've discussed your feedback with each of the relevant parties and I am confident that we will improve our dining experience as a result of your feedback.

Artika, thank you once again for your review. We welcome your constructive feedback in helping us improve our hotel.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My partner and I were in Suva for a Wedding and were hoping the that suite that we booked was ready for early check-in. The suite was not ready and after explaining our situation, we were given another room to shower and change for the wedding. Left our bags at reception and returned to a room key for the suite with our suitcases in the suite. Definiately going the extra mile.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Doug B,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay experience at the Holiday Inn Suva and I am pleased to know that our team delivered their best to ensure that you and your partner were looked after.
Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Preston Msikelly

Reviewed 10 February 2014

From check in to check out, all we have to say is that the staff is very friendly and helpful! The lobby looks new as the indoor restaurant. The room we had was on the first floor. No lift but you get help if needs be :) We were upgraded to a king size bed with a view on the harbour. We loved the feel of the room and unlike another comment we read, the carpet did not stick! The nan bread pizza was so good. We travelled with our 13 months old baby girl and she got all the attention needed. We liked that the hotel has an adult and a kid pool. Both are cleaned daily, however due to the proximity of the road, the kid's pool need to be cleaned more often as it was quickly filled with leaf, and some black dirt from. Overall, we will pick that place again for our next stay. It is within walking distance of everything and very safe. Cab to town is less than 3 FJD. Bus is 60 cents FJD. Thank you Holiday Inn Suva!

Room Tip: Ask for the King size bed room on the first floor facing the swimming pool. You get incredible sunse...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Limb H,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time spent at Holiday Inn Suva.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and your review was greatly received by the team as well.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Holiday Inn is a good hotel in Suva. It is close to Parliament and the city which is good for business travellers. The rooms are large but dated. The food is good with an outdoor pizza kitchen where they play live music. The staff are friendly and nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ant W
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear AntW,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. The proximity of the hotel to the city's CBD allows our guests to have easy access to the city. We're glad to know you enjoyed our pool deck with the entertainment offered and enjoy our woodfired pizzas.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights to attend a friend's wedding (not held at the hotel).
I think this is the best of the chain hotels that Suva has to offer, and location is in the middle of town. I picked this hotel as I thought it would be safest (was travelling on my own).
Service was very friendly, and after-sales service very good.
It's pricey for what you get, but it's probably the best there is in Suva. Would recommend but only because of the lack of choice in Suva.

The lobby and checkin are great, very friendly helpful staff.
You have to walk through the restaurant/bar area then outside to the pool area to get to most of the rooms, which are on wings either side. There are two floors, and the 2nd floor is accessible by stairs (I didn't see any lifts but I presume they exist). The first room I got was on the right, bottom floor, at the very end of the hall. The view was of washed up rubbish from the harbour and some random guy sitting in a truck staring at me. There are tiles on the floors in the ground floor rooms but they were not that clean and the room had a very dark, damp feel.
As the room opened out to the garden, I didn't feel very safe so requested a room change. The 2nd room I was given was on the 2nd floor, but hadn't been cleaned (beds unmade etc). The 3rd room was fine - king bed, spacious, clean, looked out over the garden and could see the pool and sea through the trees.
Suva is very humid though, and there was a pervasive damp smell / feel and the carpet always felt sticky, even though I left the AC on all the time (rooms on 2nd floor have carpet). Not really the hotel's fault. The way the rooms are laid out with the balcony, means there's not a lot of natural light coming into the room. Hotel hallways could do with a bit of a refresh but they're serviceable.
Amenities are much better than I expected of a Holiday Inn - full coffee / tea amenities with UHT milk in the mini-fridge. Great bathroom amenities (although some of the boxes had been emptied and not refilled). Shower had decent pressure. Could do with a decent bathroom mirror though - quite had to get close to for applying makeup etc.
Room had safe and iron. Bed was pretty comfortable with firm and soft pillows to choose from.
Balcony was accessible through two doors with locks. I only heard room doors banging and some hallway noise.
Security-wise, I felt pretty safe, although I was hassled by some drunk bar patrons as I walked though on my way back to the room one night which made me feel a bit uncomfortable.
Food and bar was pretty decent, and once converted back to NZD, seemed on-par with NZ hotel prices (which are expensive by international standards). Buffet breakfast was $38 FJD with an omelette station and decent selection of food. Service was, well, relaxed, but I was expecting that. Always polite and friendly.
Didn't really use the facilities but the pool seemed popular. Weekends are pretty quiet, I expect the weekdays are filled up with business visitors etc, although I did see a few long-stay expats.
Taxis are available from the hotel and within the town, it's maybe $3-5 FJD to get around the town.
Suva airport is 45 mins drive away and the hotel can organise a car for $35.

On checkout, comped me my meals because of the hassles I had checking into a room. This was really nice and shows that the staff go out of their way to make sure their customers are happy. I also had followup emails from the manager(s) which was a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor if you have security concerns. Ask for an inner room for a nice vie...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Bula Welly_China_Girl,

Thank you for your review.

First of all thank you for sharing regarding our service delivery here at the Holiday Inn Suva. I am pleased to say that our team with the best of their ability provides the best service expected of them that I am very proud of.

In regards to your check in experience, my sincerest apologies that you had to experience being room moved 3 times and and please rest assured that I have taken action on this to ensure that this does not happen again to any of our guests.

Welly_China_Girl, please accept my sincerest apologies again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

a great central location
easy to access
pizzas are great good variety of toppings yummy
just one tip service on drinks could be faster could sell more
staff lovely and very friendly
nicely set out in sun or inside in air con to sit
nice entertainment

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear AnneMarei1,

Thank you for your review and it's great to know that you enjoyed our Woodfired Pizzas and entertainment at the pool deck. I've liaised with our Food & Beverage department in regards to the service as well.

Once again thank you for your feedback

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We only stayed here overnight on route from one of the msmaller island back to Nadi - Suva is a bit drab, especially on public holidays (The Prophet's Birthday??? Who knew?)
The good first: great location in Suva near the Museum (which was closed), nice pool with water-slide, nice bar with great pizza. Now the bad:
Firstly despite reserving 2 rooms for 5 people in one family and getting email confirmation, on check in there seemed a great deal of confusion. The 2 rooms ended up on different levels despite starting with the same number.
Despite very hot day, Air Cond was off in our room. When asked to be shown how to work it, the staff member seemed totally out of his depth and seemed to be pushing buttons at random on the remote, including setting the remote to 30 deg C! It turned out the remote needed a code to be entered to work properly!
After finally getting it to work, the staff member stayed in the room and kept asking "is it working now?" To which the answer was (repeatedly) "Yes, thank you." until we finally had to ask him to leave so we could get changed.

Room Tip: Ask them to get A/C working BEFORE check-in
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zanarail
Holiday_Inn_Suva_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Suva, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Zanarail,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our woodfired pizzas during your stay, however it's disappointing to learn that your stay was marred by your check in experience regarding your rooms and the air condition and I've shared your review with the Front Office Manager.

Thank you once again for your review as we both welcome positive and constructive feedback as this provides traction for the hotel

Preston Miskelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
0 mi away
Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva

Been to Holiday Inn Suva? Share your experiences!