“Terrible food!”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Suva
Byron Bay, Australia
“Terrible food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Front Desk staff were friendly and quick, rooms were nice, but the food in the Dining Room was terrible!! Kitchen staff too busy talking to each other, always sitting down having meals themselves whilst guests waited, and they all seemed to be teenagers with no one supervising them, and no proper Chefs in the kitchen. Really appalling .Without the waiter Thomasina, we would still be waiting for our food. He kept trying to get some service from the kitchen, and looked after us all the time we were there. Food not International standard at all, service terrible, and way, way overpriced. Sorry won't be visiting the Tanoa Suva again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Bula Vinaka Robyn R,

Thank-you for taking the time to inform us about your recent experience at our hotel.
I am disappointed that our standard of service in some key areas of the hotel’s product did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your areas of service delivery with the relevant department supervisors and through the information that you provided, we have since been able to address these shortfalls in service & product delivery with my team.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back to Tanoa Plaza in the near future and It is only through this constructive feedback that we can improve on our product & service standards and be able to meet our guest’s expectations on every stay or initializing our restaurant facilities.

Once again, thankyou for your review

Ms Mere Rakoroi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Tanoa Plaza is a short walking distance from the water front street with plenty of restaurant and shopping choices and it also seems to be situated well for local government offices and the local university (where I was working on this trip).

The staff were friendly and the hotel was clean and well kept up and there is a restaurant in the lobby that has live local music most nights.

I stayed there two times on this trip. The first in a regular room and the second in a deluxe room. The deluxe room cost about $18 more per night and featured carpet instead of tiled floors, an upgraded shower head, and I think a few more TV channels but otherwise was exactly the same as the regular room. Both rooms were comfortable and clean providing a good night sleep.

The hotel restaurant was not that good and I only at there once preferring to walk out and find food.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Bula Vinaka Erikb1978,

Thankyou for your review, I surely am grateful that you have taken the time to share with us about your experience. First thing this morning, I have shared your feedback with my team and they appreciated that, also for the hotel, we are undergoing changes to improve the existing products and service we currently have in rooms, restaurants, conferences etc . So it should be interesting.

I look forward in having you back with us, so we can catch up about the positive changes we have done, based on your review.

Once again, Vinaka Vakalevu

Port-Vila, Efate, Vanuatu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

I had 4 nights here and it was quite nice, quite expensive tho. Safe did not work and air conditioning did not work either. overall it was ok and enjoyed my stay as the staff were very friendly and courteous

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Bula Vinaka Jack M,

Thankyou for your having the time to write about your stay, I will surely check on the areas that you have highlighted, and will get this sorted out and improved. And for my staff, vinaka vakalevu from all of us, we look forward to seeing you back again, if anything with room rates, please don't hesitate to see me or email me, happy to hear from you.

Fiji
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed on Saturday night 1st of June and enjoyed my stay as the staff were very friendly and courteous however the price for a local is double what you advocate on your site per room per night. Admittedly I was on the 8th floor with great views but the rooms are very small but comfortable. Better than any other hotel I have stayed in in Suva and I have tried most of them but over the top on their room rates

Stayed June 2013
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Bula Vinaka Kimbowai,

Thankyou very much for your review, especially on hotel room rates. We have now introduced our Rate Package which is not only room basis but is now Inclusive of full cooked breakfast plus WIFI, however, at the same time, we are also doing changes in our rooms to improve on the products we offer.
Once again, your recognition for my staff, is highly appreciated and will share this review with them. Looking forward to catching up with you in Suva.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I had 6 days in March 2013 on business. Overall positive - I think I was on about the 6th floor and the upper floors are apparently the best ones. Room OK, more luxuries than I need, but unfortunately I had to work and buying expensive internet vouchers was a real pain, and for 2 days I could not get it to operate. I was not the only one in our group with that problem - the written instructions were a bit out of date. Sounds like that voucher system may have changed now? The air conditioner need sorting - my control stopped working on the last day and I just left it. I try not to use them but occasionally needed in the daytime since this is Fiji!
Breakfast good, the hotel location in town was excellent. Walk to shops and museum/park. Taxis easy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Bula Vinaka Harrowagenda21,

Thankyou very much for your feedback, really appreciate the time you have taken to tell me about our product and services. For the WIFI connectivity, speed and information flyer, this is certainly a priority for our business clients and will make sure this works out for you, also recently I have just introduced Package deal inclusive of full cooked breakfast plus WIFI, let me know when you are in town, so i can get your feedback on this.
And for our AC unit control, i am currently liaising with our Maintenance Team in Fiji and NZ and will be sorting this problem soon.
Once again, i humbly appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you back soon

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic. An easy walk to the heart of Suva.

The staff were great, very helpful and friendly. The food was ok, and the chefs were happy to make me a custom omelette for breakfast.

Two gripes through:
- the air conditioner in my room was loud, and also had an annoying intermittent clicking noise. I preferred to turn it off and sleep with the heat instead
- the internet charges were exorbitant, and options were limited. Colleagues who stayed at a competitor hotel up the road had free internet access with their room... this should be the standard for modern business hotels!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Bula Vinaka Frade,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to write to us about your review, and telling us more about the Tanoa Product. The locations is indeed Great and very convenient for our guests and also we really appreciate your view on the custom omelet.

With the ac units, that is now been looked at by our team and WIFI Internet, wonderful news, this is now Inclusive with Breakfast too. All thanks to you Frade.

Once again, thankyou for your review and looking forward to catching up with you.

Mere Rakoroi
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Great place to stay in Suva, excellant views of the city, staff very friendly and helpful, beautiful flower arrangements in the reception area, wanted to take them home, rooms clean and spacious.
Would definately recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sosi T
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Bula Vinaka Sosi

Great to hear about your review, such a pleasure to have your thoughts about our hotel and our people, will surely share this with my team.

If you happen to return to the Captial, please dont hesitate to contact myself, will look forward to catching up with you.

Mere Rakoroi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
Novotel Suva Lami Bay
Five Princes Hotel
Five Princes Hotel
#5 of 12 in Suva

Been to Tanoa Plaza Suva? Share your experiences!