“Rainforest relaxation”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Suva
Phoenix
“Rainforest relaxation”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Rainforest is in a marvelous location just outside of Suva. Best of all it is right across the rode to the wonderful eco park, Colo-i-Suva, which is a MUST do if you are going to be in or around Suva. We spent the entire day hiking and swimming in the most delicious springs, waterfalls and ponds! Heavenly!
Now, Rainforest itself, for the price, provides what it offers. The food was hit-or-miss. Had the worst pork chops ever-overcooked and half fat BUT when I complained they offered to bring me something else and there was no charge for the chops so..... I was satisfied. Had some fantastic honey-glazed chicken wings instead. Yum!
Mostly a younger set, back-packer kind of spot but my sweetie (65) and I (a tad younger) felt relaxed and comfortable.
Tom the owner was gracious and fun and we shared a beer with him on our first night. He treated us!
Suggestions: Bring bug spray, maybe some air freshener or incense as rooms were a bit stuffy, your own shampoo and soap, and ask for towels when you check in. ask them to turn the hot water burner on if cold.
Overall I would definitely go back. The grounds with the ponds and foliage is just lovely.

Room Tip: When we said we were too old to share a bathroom with others they offered for the same price, $65.00...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank M02Phoenix

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We basically stayed at Raintree because we met a few people on our travels in Fiji who recommended it. All of the, said that they booked dorm rooms and as the hotel was empty they were all upgraded to rooms over looking the pond. However, on our arrival we were not upgraded, not that we were expecting it but it would have been nice to follow suit from our friends. We were put in a dark back room with 2 sets of bunk beds with no view which was disappointing considering the entire building we were in had one other occupant. The showers were ice cold despite alerting staff and them changing the gas, it was still ice cold which as horrible. It rained for our entire stay, a bit too heavy for walking so we tried to get some board games, of which there were 3. None had instructions and all had pieces missing. The TV was constantly occupied by staff. The pool table was $1, not much but it is free in all of the other resorts we've stayed in in Fiji. We then purchased the wifi, $10 for 24 hours which didn't work at all, so we got our money back. The desktop didn't work either so couldn't check emails. The dinner menu was expensive and not great quality considering the price of $20-$40 per meal! Breakfast was not included, as it has been in the other 5 resorts/hostels we've stayed in. I was really disappointed in this place. I had heard great things about it and we went out of our way during our time in Suva to stay here for a night. We would have stayed longer had it been more enjoyable. The only positives in my opinion was that towels were included and there was a kettle in the communal area. However, you did have to have your own tea/ coffee, milk and sugar!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lorna M
Kuranda, Australia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have stayed here a number of times, it's very convenient for the Colo-i-Suva Forest Park and has helpful staff. The bures are spacious and clean, hot water was good and wifi available for a modest fee at the desk area. Restaurant has improved service and Ravi the desk clerk was very helpful. An ideal low-key place not far from Suva.

Room Tip: They have a backpacker style set up as well, but go for the bures if budget permits
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Phil G
Ocean Park, Washington
Reviewed 15 September 2013

1. close too Suva and NO city noise smell or lights
2. great minimal cost
3. Great for a business meeting
4. The Staff and TOM are sincere good people with a smile and personalities you will always remember.
5. Sa kai dua na Lodge dodonu for visiting your family and treating them to a resort.

Room Tip: no tip needed as the staff are 100% honest
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SemimaiNabubu
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We booked a dorm bed and got upgraded with a private bure with private facilities. Great bar, and awesome food. Very quite and piecefull environment. To all my family and friends do come to fiji the best holiday destination. when you come to fiji come to Raintree Lodge the Eco Tourism Resort and see Mr Tom Davis the Hotel Owner and his friendly staffs helping making your stay in fiji, a memorable one just like mine.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ashika S
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Even if this is a backpackers' lodge, I would have expected something better. I was scared the first time at dinner, when the chicken skewer contained pieces of almost raw chicken, and the second time when I almost stepped into the shower with a long-legged spider about the size of my palm. I just caught it in a cooking pan and relased it outside, so no harm came to it or me, but we kept all luggage closed after that. The nature experience is very hands-on in other aspects too, with lots of sugar ants in the room and the walls are so thin that the frogs/cats/birds sound like they are actually also in your room. On top of that you can hear the heavy traffic from the road.

We had a self-contained family bure with a double bed and a single bed downstairs and 4 single beds upstairs, but the stairs were too dangerous for the children (3 & 8), so we put one mattress on the floor downstairs and kept both children there instead. There was a broken window in the staircase and no mosquito screening on the window upstairs, so we kept the anti-mosquito burners on in the night (plus for providing them!).

The bure did not have a very clean feeling, the bathroom/shower was run-down, it smelled faintly of mould and the linen and towels did not seem clean/fresh.

We never tried the pool, but the water looked strange with some white flakes on the surface. The lake is muddy pool, but the children enjoyed feeding the fish.

The children/babysitter said that breakfast was ok, but otherwise food was almost inedible. The children's fish & chips was made of a bony piece of some unidentified old frozen fish and their chicken look like it had been panfried last week. Other food was bland and badly cooked.

I would not recommend this for families with small children.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank TMWT
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were really looking forward to staying here as we have stayed in a number of 'Eco lodges' in the past and they have always been more interesting and enjoyable than a regular hotel. Unfortunately we were left disappointed from the very moment we arrived. Greeted with a friendly smile and no assistance in taking our luggage or even locating our bure we discovered a blocked toilet and enough chairs to seat a Fijian rugby team.

We asked for a new room, this was done much to the annoyance of the security guy who was watching football at the time. I believe the question he asked was "do you NEED a toilet!?". For $160 it would be nice.

The second bure had a working toilet but like the first was cramped and in desperate need of a refurb. The bed was comfortable but the mosquito net fell just short of the mattress therefore rendering it useless. It should also be mentioned that if you are a light sleeper then this is definitely not the place for you. The local wildlife and Aussies with guitars make light work of the paper thin walls and in our case resulted in two nights of very restless sleep.

The bar was an interesting place and a continuation of the stellar service we had encountered on arrival. A loud call of "excuse me" was required to get the waitress off her phone to take our breakfast order and the evening bar staff were of the same caliber. We will try to upload some photos of the back bar as it quite something.

It isn't a terrible place to stay but for the money you would expect a much much higher standard of service and accommodation. We do feel genuinely ripped off by the raintree lodge and would definitely encourage others to look elsewhere. The adventure of staying in the forest by a lake is completely ruined by this resort. A massive shame.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
Quest Apartments-Suva
Five Princes Hotel
Five Princes Hotel
#5 of 12 in Suva

Been to Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort? Share your experiences!