“Good choice”

Capricorn Apartment Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed one night at Capricorn with a family group. Booking made when ferry transfer to an offshore island was unexpectedly delayed. We wanted somewhere close to centre of town and this was the recommendation of the Suva visitor centre.

It is a short walk to the Suva markets, Cummings Street and the MH shopping Centre and the nearby shops and restaurants. It is up a steep hill and our rooms were up two flights of stairs so it was a bit of a huff and puff to get there on foot. Worth it though to walk into a very large room with double bed, tv,aircon, kitchen, bathroom and outdoor area with views looking down over
Suva harbor. Rooms were light and airy, very clean and well appointed. Bed gave us a good sleep. Plenty of space and seating for the seven of us in our party to visit from apartment to apartment without being crowded.

The hotel has a pool and a barbecue area which was looked at but not used because it was not warm in Suva. Reception was staffed all the time we were there. They have a basic range of wine and beer but no bar or restaurant. That was not a problem as there were good choices a five minute walk away. We can recommend the food court and the top floor bar at the Tappoo Centre and Gloria Jeans for coffee and cakes and free wifi in the MH Centre.

Couldn't sort out wifi. Was able to send faxes to NZ from the reception office but that was not cheap.
Capricorn was a good base for a night but would also work as a base for longer stays. There were a number of guests who were staying for long terms while working in Suva which meant we had the place pretty much to ourselves during the day. It is not a new facility but has been well cared for and shows signs of recent upgrades to beds furniture and decor. We found it a comfortable and convenient place to stay. Close enough to the centre of town but far enough away to not be disturbed by traffic and people noise. Would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick a top floor room with harbor view. It is worth the extra flight of steps
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Moggy38

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Staying in Capricorn Hotel Suva for 3 nights this week in a 2 bed apartment with my family.

Did I get what I expected? Well quite frankly yes, I did. There's a lot that's good about the Capricorn, not the least being it's perfect central city location, the quite comfortable apartments complete with kitchen and the quite adequate service. Everything worked and worked well, in particular the two air conditioners - which is an area where we've been repeatedly let down by other Suva hotels in the past.

But unfortunately my overall rating on this establishment I have had to let slip by a notch on what I would have otherwise expected from three stars. The Capricorn wears the scars of chronic under maintenance in recent years and in Fiji this just isn't necessary. The swimming pool -while swimmable and still hygienic (only just) - was well short of clean, with cloudy water and resembled more of a water hole than a hotel pool. I don't think I saw the filter running once over the time I stayed there. As people would know, a functioning pool is almost essential in Fiji and despite the very ordinary water in this one, we still used it quite a lot. The smaller kids' pool obviously hasn't been used in years and stood empty, littered with remnants of what looks like an attempt at rebuilding which ended long ago.

There's old furniture stacked up in nooks and crannies all over the hotel (including on the pool deck and a legless table stood up on our verandah). The staff keep the place clean and nice but the site overall looks like it is cared for well by the employees but the owners obviously just don't want to know and couldn't give a damn. The kitchen could do with a bit more cutlery and china, too.

All the same, the Capricorn served our Central Suva needs well and I would recommend it to anyone specifically looking for an apartment style option in Suva on a budget. As they say, Location, location, location. And if there's one thing the Capricorn has got, it's location.

Paul M

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs, let the staff know - in advance.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Watch out. Stay away. Cancelled well within(2 months) and they are still abusing my credit card. Had to cancel with a loss. Choose anything else. This are not serious people. Had funny emails in June when booked, and immediately cancel,ed. still am having endless charges despite having not set my feet in Suva. A perfect nightmare

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Joana C
Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

Average hotel, staff wasnt friendly. The indian guy at night seems to be angry and when asked why he wasnt happt he replied " i hate this job". Being a young girl staying at the hotel for 2 nights i had the fijian security guard stalking me it was scary. for a young girl please do not stay her unless you are with a company! great location but the hotel is average. Need to train the staff to be friendly and leave their customers alone.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Sulz4you
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I stayed at the capricorn for one night during a visit of Fiji on a islandhopping-tour through the Pacific.
I don't regret to have choosen it. As I was aware due to some comments here on tripadvisor it has some cons, but I think it is not so bad.
Pro: central location, fully equipped kitchen, large room, exttrem comfortable bed, friendly reception staff. Cons (I had room 204): old furniture, I could not get on the balcony because the door was not able to open, TV was out of order, no remote control for the air con. The Cons have not been so important to me: as I was out for sightseeing I had no time anyway for TV or the balcony. If you can deal with the cons it is all right to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank laendersammler
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I am traveling for 4 months, and usually I book rooms at Bookning.com, and I find good hotels to reasonable prices. Traveling by plane from Nadi to Suva, I thought I could make a hotel reservation at the airport, but that was not possible. A taxi driver said he could take me to a good and not expensive hotel, and when I arrived Capricorn I was shocked over the bad standard of the room. I should have walked away and found another hotel, but it was night (8 pm), and unfortunately I choosed to stay.

140 Fijian dollars for this kind of standard is outreaches.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Asbjorn J
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Very central location. Well priced apartment units. Self contained, self-catering facilities. The three things that I always look for and this places checks all three.

Practically in the city of Suva, the capital, Capricorn Apartments are walking distance to pretty much everything in Suva city so very handy if you're reliant on public transport and prefer the security and peace of mind of having everything close. Otherwise there are usually taxis driving past you can hail at a moments notice rather than having to get reception call one in. Walk down the road and you're basic in the central city area, where there are numerous shops and also eating places, cinemas, markets, and the main bus station from where you can buses and minibuses around suva, to neighbouring towns and also the coaches that further afield like the popular Coral Coast and the western towns including Nadi, the main gateway in and out of the country.

The room itself was fully self contained with ample storage area in the fully equipped kitchen, that had the usual toaster, kettle and easy to use gas stove. Also had a full size two door fridge instead of a small bar fridge. Kitchen had all necessary utensils, dishes, pots and pans. There was a nice sofa and a table, and the room came with a double bed and a single. The personal balcony had views of the Suva city and waterfront and looked down on the pool. The hotel felt very safe and secure, with the front entrance open during the day and evening but after that was manned by security staff which is pretty good given the central location.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple