“Wonderful hotel with colonial charm”
Review of Sofitel Malabo

Sofitel Malabo
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Malabo
St. Louis, MO
“Wonderful hotel with colonial charm”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This an absolutely lovely hotel. It looks great at night from the outside and is just across a small park from the lovely Malabo Cathedral. The service was impeccable and very professional.

I had booked two nights, but the day before my arrival, I had to change my reservation to one night due to airline schedule changes. Under the booking terms and conditions, the hotel probably could have charged me for both nights, but I emailed the front desk manager and he graciously agreed not to charge me for the second night. That's excellent customer service.

The room was very nice, quite large, view of the waterfront (though it's not the most attractive waterfront, cathedral view would probably be better). Clean room, big flat screen TV, WIFI worked, everything you'd expect, but shower in bathtub though instead of a walk in shower. Very comfortable bed and bedding as you'd expect from Sofitel.

I arrived on a Friday night at 10 p.m. or so, I was a bit surprised at how quiet the bar/restaurant were at the hotel. Maybe they have a lot of business (oil company) clients and are not busy on weekends. I had one beer in the bar that was quite reasonably priced for a hotel bar in West Africa.

I had read online that expats hang out at "Candy Irish Pub," it turns out it was just a 3 minute walk down the waterfront. If you want to drink with a fun loving, raucous crowd of expats and some locals, with live music at least on Friday, this is the place.

The next day I asked for a late check out until 2 p.m., this was no problem at all. As I checked out, the desk agent asked if I needed transport to the airport, I said yes, they had the hotel shuttle take me (only me) to the airport without charge.

A very good experience overall, I'm sorry I could only stay one night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
GM_Sofitel_Malabo, Directeur général at Sofitel Malabo, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Malabo "President Palace". It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lisboa
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

One of the best hotel I have been lately, the staff are all very friendly and helpful. You can enjoy quiet moments between work. You can also find a great variety of continental plates at the Restaurant.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GM_Sofitel_Malabo, Directeur général at Sofitel Malabo, responded to this review, 23 April 2014

Strasbourg
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I stay in Malabo once in a while and it is always a great pleasure to return to the Soditel! The staff is so nice and helpful, the rooms are really western standard. The pool area is great and the food is delicious.... Best and most opulent breakfast buffet in Africa I would say! You gonna love this place and it's colonial atmosphere !

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GM_Sofitel_Malabo, Directeur général at Sofitel Malabo, responded to this review, 21 April 2014

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times....
Finally I feel obliged to repay kindness and hospitality.
The staff go out of their way to excced your expectations.
Superb breakfast (go early)! The area around the pool makes for a good business backdrop.
Simply go and try it yourself
PS Good WLAN available!!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Use to stay in this hotel for almost 2 years and I can say that things are improving since.
People are very kind, always trying to help.
The restaurant, the bar and the pool area are very nice.
Sometimes the service is slow but people try to do their best in a friendly way.
The food is very good, I hope they keep or improve this quality.
The rooms are a little bit small but comfortable and clean. The bathrooms are good but need
some shower maintenance. The air conditioning system, I believe would be quiet old, there are
some rooms where it could work better. There could be more TV channels available. The internet
is fine, much better than it was one year ago.
Five minutes walking, you´re in the center of Malabo.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Edgar,

We are improving all details in the hotel and I hope to show you may be on next visit.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 11 April 2014

i was dissapointed by this hotel. on my arrival the staff was very friendly and i asked for some information. they wanted to call me and i was waiting. after i asked again and they told me i defintily will get it. but on the end i never got it. the bed was not comfortable at all. and in the bathroom you cant find conditioner, neither body cream.
for a hotel like sofitel i was dissapointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Vera,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Malabo "President Palace". I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

On request, the reception is normally at your service for all amenities.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 10 April 2014

this hotel is simply the best in EG, Mr. Baptist- the deputy manager and Lydia and Sonia at the reception desk are amazingly friendly and their service is simply intact. The room's are very well equipped. Good Internet access is available in the room, at the pool area and in the lobby. The staff is very friendly and trying to make you feel comfortable all the time. Keep up your great service.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Mr Aaber,

Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malabo
Sofitel Malabo Sipopo Le Golf
#6 of 13 in Malabo
Grand Hotel Djibloho
Grand Hotel Djibloho
#1 of 1 in Djibloho

Been to Sofitel Malabo? Share your experiences!