“Not my first time, and won't be my last”
Review of Freddy's Hotel

Freddy's Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Not my first time, and won't be my last”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been back to this place repeatedly since my first review- and I felt compelled to write again, having visited one of the more expensive hotels near by as an experiment- I won't be bothering going elsewhere again!
The small things make a difference- room 6 has a good sized fridge which you can place your own things, or unplug (as opposed to a mini-bar which is stuffed with expensive stuff!) and is perfect with the supermarket and cake shop within 100 yards.
The room also had a computer which made internet access/working easier. The internet is fast enough that I could VPN my office and even do VOIP telephone calls.
It also had plenty of sockets, allowing me to charge phone, computer and camera overnight.

Want something quieter? I was in a room separate from the main building for some of the nights, ie no internet- was good to force me to relax.

As to cleanliness? I saw the cleaner moving the sofa in the communal area to clean behind it. I don't even do that at home that often!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AllanSMW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After I booked my room at Freddy's Hostel, I pre-arranged a ride to the hotel. I expected the driver to be there on time, and he was.
I didn't expect the driver to be Freddy himself. But that's who my driver was, and that was emblematic of my experience at the hostel -- friendly, personal service that made me feel welcome.
This isn't the Hilton, but then Conrad Hilton probably never picked up his guests at the airport, either. What it IS, is a clean, comfortable, sensible place to spend a few nights. It's close to the main city square, and fairly quiet. The rooms are basic, but just fine. You can walk to some of Tirana's major attractions. If you need help finding an attraction in a remote location, all you have to do is ask Freddy.
While other staffers don't speak much English, I had no problems communicating my few basic needs with them. They're obviously trained to provide good service, too.
Breakfast is basic, but was just fine for me, and free coffee is available for the asking.
I've stayed in many hostels, and I can't think of a better one.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the street, because I like looking out the window and people-watching. I as...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LarryJ917
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I can't fault this place: the location, service and facilities are excellent, and you get a decent cup of coffee! The owner, Freddy is a really genuine guy: friendly, attentive and hospitable, as were the other staff I met here. I was most impressed by how clean it was! I am looking forward to visiting Tirana again and I can see no reason to stay anywhere else but here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AmandaAdama
United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

First what you notice when you come here is that place is perfectly clean!!! There is no usuall hostel atmosphere (Note: i stayed out of the season),its more like they rent apartments which are so nice decorated,and you will have anything you need,even more than you expect.
Its so queit and nice place to take a rest,what i really needed!

The older man who was at the reception had a little language barrier,but he is vey kind and he will do anything to help you in every possible way! Dont refuse to try albanian crazy strong rakia if he offers you!

If you have a chance to meet Freddy you will realise why people just write all the best words about this guy. Extremely friendly person!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Montenegrinnn
Piacenza, Italy
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I use to spend 4 nights every month. It is a family hostel and all guys are very kind ! The hotel is simple but very very clean! It is perfect to stay there for the quiet, and It is just 2/3 min from the Skandelberg square!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank daniele m m
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Freddy's surprised me. Their rooms are fantastic and have everything you might need including TV and air con. And the WiFi was the best i've seen in 2 years of travel. He supplied breakfast too which was great. And gave good tips about what to do and where to go. The location was prime too, right near the centre of town and walking distance to everything. I only give reviews when i like a place, but in this case, I loved the place.

Room Tip: A few of the doors were open and I had a look. I think they are all good.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holc-amania
Pristina, Kosovo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Starting with the location of the hostel, everything is just what you need to enjoy your stay in Tirana. Freddy and his family are super friendly and hospitable. They're always ready to provide anything you need during your stay. There are many rooms with private bathrooms as well. There's free wifi (good connectivity), very clean rooms, comfortable beds. The breakfast is very good, croissant, coffee, juice and fruits. You definitely won't go wrong by choosing this hostel.

Tina

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maltina1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tirana
Hotel Baron
#1 of 38 in Durres
Dinasty Hotel
Dinasty Hotel
#1 of 91 in Tirana

Been to Freddy's Hotel? Share your experiences!