“Something missing to give the same rating as last time”
Review of Hotel Safir

Hotel Safir
Ranked #37 of 70 Hotels in Sarajevo
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I believe this was my third stay in this small hotel. This time, I was given a card key which I could use to open the door, and I realized I did not see anybody at the reception often. My room which I stayed before has not changed much. Twin beds, bathroom, kitchen, a big closet, TV, etc. Wifi works very well for a video stream or database work. Shower temperature is great. Wish to have a bit more water pressure. But this time something was not right. For example, the bathroom did not have toilet paper in place. I didn't ask for it as I had a roll of toilet paper with me. A cup with sugar was dirty... The remote of the TV did not work... The people I interacted was more business like. I hope the hotel can keep up with the good quality and hospitality as they had before. I may try this place one more time for the next time, but will also look for other locations a bit more.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Fukuyan

Reviewed 28 June 2014

At first sight, it seems a small hotel. But, the rooms are comfortable (I had the n°4), the people there are nice, allways having a smile for you, readyt to help you... I had the feeling to be in a family. And of course, it really near the heart of the old town

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JF D
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the bright and modern decor we found at Hotel Safir. In a small amount of square footage they managed a small kitchenette as well as a two beds, a desk, and a cute little bath. There were also some skylights that were strategically placed to let in some additional light during the shorter fall days. It felt fresh and clean and it was located just a block from the old town and close to a fabulous bakery that was to the right before the busy street and a well stocked grocery store to the left.

The breakfast was adequate, the coffee not so good. The staff was quite friendly and they seemed busy with refurbishing some of the rooms. You must ring the bell to enter, and there was a time that we had to wait for 10-15 minutes because no one heard us. I believe this was due to the refurbish so understandable.

My only real issue was with parking my car. The young woman at the front desk, who despite the fact she was very friendly, was a bit misinformed on the parking situation. She directed me to an area in which I ended up getting a fine. The parking for this hotel is actually coordinated with another close-by hotel to the left and I learned they need to actually call in order to have them

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I spent very little time here, but this is a great spot for a base if you are in Sarajevo. Conveniently located, with friendly and helpful staff and rooms which are very nice and clean, just a bit spare. My only complaint is that the shower was missing part of its door and was quite small, but other than that no complaints at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Travels588
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Perfect location. One min away from pigeon square yet very quiet at night.

Some say it's difficult to find, can't agree: Sarajevo is easily navigable on foot, I never needed a map since the second day I was there. Just remember to turn right into the small alley when you see the big supermarket on your left across the street walking uphill from the tram station, you can't miss it.

Reasonably priced, as expected (late September and I was solo). Breakfast wasn't fancy but I liked it.

Very helpful staff, had the answer to almost every question you could come up with, and willing to discuss everything e.g. surviving the war and coming to terms with living and working with the Serbs, first-hand war-time experience. Must thank the lovely receptionist for going out to get band-aid for my bleeding small toe.

Watch out for the big platform (esp. the corner) below that comfy bed, I walked into it and hurt my small toe.

Would have gotten an "Excellent" from me if the dude who stayed there right before me didn't tear the shower door down (of course lovely receptionist was honest about the situation and offered me another room to choose from but, oh, how I loved that room, can't blame her).

Stayed there three nights late Sept., would recommend it to everyone, but not to suitcase-tourists for short stays cos there was no elevator, pretty silly dragging all the suitcases up Day 1 and taking them back down on Day 2 (room was okay spacious though), best for solo travellers and couples in my opinion, but the suites/bigger rooms were quite good too (peeked in when cleaning ladies tidied them).

Room Tip: I looked at two rooms, similar decor but different characters, ask for more keys to start with, as u...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MichaelL39
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel is a little 'tucked away' but we located it quite readily being less than 2 minutes by foot from the Bascarsija tram stop. The location and external appearance of the hotel are initially a little daunting but inside everything is clean, modern and comfortable. The bedroom and ensuite were spacious with ample storage space and in good repair and decorative order. There is a pleasant breakfast room offering a range of good quality fare. The hotel is staffed by a number of relatively young ladies who cheerfully provide every possible assistance to guests throughout the day and night. So much so that on checking-out I remarked upon the range of tasks that they were prepared to undertake and received the response 'Of course, we're SuperGirls!'
I would not hesitate in recommending Hotel Safir for a pleasant, comfortable stay in Sarajevo.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CDLE
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I will make this short and sweet. First make sure you know where this place is. The location is good, right across from the Old Town, but it's tucked away and very difficult to find. If you have to ask a local where it is, good luck! Second the hotel staff is nice, the hotel is clean but both our rooms had odors that we diffucult to live with, Our room smelled of mildew and our kids room of moth balls which was a bit of a turn off,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family