“One of the best hotels in Sarajevo”

Hotel Europe Sarajevo
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
Español
“One of the best hotels in Sarajevo”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

After visiting Sarajevo many times due to my job I have to say that this is the best Hotel I ever found there. I was many times at Holiday Inn and that was horrible (it doesn' reach 2 stars, and it is 4). Hotel Europe has a great location, city center, exactly between the old and new Sarajevo. You have shops and restaurants around the area where the hotel is. You can walk everywhere. They offer shuttle service to the airport. The rooms are big, amazing bathroom (modern) and a huge breakfast where you won't miss anything. Also offers a nice indoor pool, gym, sauna, etc.

Highly recommended either if you are there for business or leisure.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HighQuality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Croatia
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night only on a business trip. The location of the hotel is really perfect, very close to Bascarsija, coffee-bars, restaurants etc. But I have to admit that I had expected much more of the hotel than just perfect location, especially having in mind the price and the fact that they had been boasting that the old Sarajevo hotel was now luxiorusly renovated in the old Austrian style... I had a huge, very nice room with a huge bathroom with a very unusual operating mode of the shower. In the room you really feel like in Sarajevo from old times. The hotel is divided in two parts, I didn't really get it clearly , so that you have to pass from the reception to the elevators through a deserted space belonging nowhere, with some not-used furntiure stored there and that was not really convinient. The reception staff could use more politeness. Unfortunatelly, I was in rush and did not try the breakfast. The Vienniese Cafe within the hotel is beatiful, elegant and very nice to stay in and have a coffee or one of delicios cakes. All in all, I don't think the hotel deserves 5 stars, not at all.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I must admit I was somewhat wary of the 5* hotel after reading the previous posts. However, all was well and quite unlike the experiences of others. Generally, I am quite critical of poorly managed or presented hotels and very conscious of the value for money each establishment offers, regardless of the price level.

Although the Hotel Europe has some shortcomings I can describe our stay in there as very pleasant indeed. The hotel is superbly located, just outside Baščaršija, with a spectacular Viennese Café, an adjoining Mozart patisserie inside and an open air restaurant backing to the old walls of the city; the Ferhadija shopping street is just a stone throw away .

The rooms in the old part of the hotel are very spacious, tastefully decorated with comfy beds and huge wardrobes. Granted, the rooms in the newer part are much smaller and not as stylishly decorated but most have a good view of the Old Town. Rooms are generally dark but it now seems to be an acceptable feature of most hotels. A swim in the basement pool was a very pleasant experience for us.

Unfortunately, the architects ruined the splendid facade of the old hotel and added on the unattractive modern front. You can see how magnificent the old building once was by walking round and looking at its other sides.

It also looks like the owners missed the point with the location of the restaurant – it is simply the breakfast room, plainly decorated with uncomfortable sofa-style seats and dark decor. Rather than utilising the fabulous Viennese Café that in itself is too huge the guests were expected to dine in less than opulent surroundings of the breakfast room. Fortunately, the ever-so-helpful waiters at the café allowed us to dine there turning it into an unforgettable experience.

The buffet breakfast was very tasty, plentiful and varied with a good selection of cheeses, fruit, jams and cakes. There were sufficient hot dishes to choose from too.

The reception staff were generally rather helpful if not particularly knowledgeable. Still they were willing to help in any way possible and all the restaurants recommended by the staff proved to be excellent, directions good and descriptions accurate.

So if you after a bit of pampering in the sumptuous surroundings of the hotel after the day exploring this great city – Hotel Europe is definitely for you.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the old part of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Globetrotter008
Sarajevo
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights,although it was very, very expensive, I had to find something quickly so I figured I might just take a nice, well known hotel.
I was born in Sarajevo and I know the way "we are", however I had expected much more form the reception staff, especially at this hotel.
When I turned up and asked if they had any rooms free and if I could have a look at the room first, they seemed somewhat surprised by that.
The guy who took me upstairs was very polite and helpful, and very chatty. He praised my Bosnian and when he figured I am a local he asked directly how come that I have to stay at a hotel! See what I mean, this is very typical Bosnian!
The breakfast on offer was very good, the service at the restaurant and room service was excellent and the cleaning lady a lovely woman who did her job very well!
For some reason the TV was rather complicated to operate, but the good thing is that you do not even need your own laptop,as they have a computer in the room.
I phoned the reception twice to ask for help with finding the channels to watch and they promised both times somebody would come up and help me set it up as it was too complicated to explain on the phone. Two hours later when I phoned again they said that apparently the system had been down and they could not do anything, so I did not get to enjoy any telly time.
All the furniture in the room was very comfortable, I slept really well. The mini bar was well equipped, fresh linen and towels, plenty of storage space and a large room with lovely lights and lamps. Very nice and warm but not too hot. Mind you it was very cold in Sarajevo at this time.
The bathroom was very impressive but somewhat weird a shower, with no doors, just two glass panels on two sides, which means the bathroom floor got flooded, and the bathtub leaked too, so i could not enjoy a bath either, but the water pressure was good and I enjoyed taking a shower.
I did not have time to make the full use of their spa and swimming pool, turkish batch etc.

What I found is that the regular staff at the hotel and restaurant were very helpful and welcoming, however the reception and management not very much.
At check out the lady ( Merima) was not friendly at all, but I could not say rude, and it was very busy. Still I had expected of her to ask me whether I had enjoyed my stay and so on.

I gathered that they all spoke quite good english and german even (which is quite common in Bosnia, specially in bigger towns and cities) but the service was not a five star service and a smile would have gone miles!

One thing that made me concerned was when I overheard staff talking about shifts. One waiter had to work the night shift AND stay on the following day! When he protested, his manager simply said you'll survive, just do it!

The staff probably don't get paid that well and therefore they have no incentive to offer excellent customer service unless they are very friendly and polite as a person anyway.

All in all, I had a good rest and since this hotel is very expensive I dont think I will be returning to stay at it again. But I did enjoy the feeling of belonging to the high class and being a toursit in my own city and seeing it with the eyes of a tourist!

I would highly recommend: wherever you stay in town, make the most out of late night walks, when the streets are deserted, the shops shut and only the lights on. Sarajevo is a very safe city and Bascarsija is well worth a visit at any time of the day and night especially!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank amhrienizi
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This is supposedly the best hotel in Sarajevo. I hope not. It's definitely the most prestigous hotel in Sarajevo. Brangelina have stayed there and when I was there the US ambassdor held a meeting there.
Location is in the center. As far as I know you don't have rooms with views. And I stayed at the top floor.
Pros:
Large breakfast buffet
Good Internet (WIFI) speed.
Very nice cafe (Vienner cafe)

Cons:
Rooms are dark
Shower makes the whole floor wet if you are not careful
Bed and pillows suck
A/C extremely unintuitive
Receptionist are not very welcoming and they sit at a desk - probably the only hotel I have been to where they don't stand - not something other hotels should imitate.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank casperdenmark
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I can only review the receprionist´s approach as the hotel was fully booked but the girl/lady in the reception was really rude, we didn´t feel welcome at all so I think that as long as the hotel is full, she doesn´t care about other potential customers... That is quite a shame, as the hotel has a great location and looked really nice.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amber-pl
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Been there a couple of times, and found that it was one of the best places to stay at in sarajevo when you are there for business. It is very centrally located, rooms are large, spacious, modern and comfortable - same goes for the bathrooms. Service is generally quick, sometimes not up to the 5 star standards the hotel aims at. Brekfast is good, large buffet, which could include fresher, better quality products. Hotel includes spa and swimming pool which i have not visited.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business