“Average, may be a bit less than average”

Hotel Holiday Sarajevo
Ranked #47 of 69 Hotels in Sarajevo
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a historic place (through the war in the 90's and as well as the 1986 winter Olympic, for which it was built). That also means that the hotel is old and you can tell. The hotel needs renovation and some touch-up work.

We stayed here for just one night as a part of our tour and we had little interaction with the front desk as the check-in was taken care of by our tour guide.

Our room was kept clean so my sincere kudos go to the housekeeping crew. It seems, though, that the room had a smell of cigarette smoke (and a couple other people in our tour group mentioned the same thing). So we figure it's not just our room. Probably the whole floor (or even the whole building) reeked cigarette smoke.

The staff (in general) seems courteous and willing to help with direction to hotel restaurants, common bathroom, etc. So another kudos for that.

Now, the location. It is a short taxi ride away (less than 10 mins) from Baščaršija, the main bazaar in old Turkish quarter. It could even be walkable if one is willing to venture out on foot (we didn't try).

So with all that being said, would I stay at this place if I came back to Sarajevo one day? Most likely not. I'm sure you can pay the same amount of money and find a nicer/better-maintained property located closer to the bazaar.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Wow - talk bout going back in time!! My husband and I showed up in town without reservations and couldn't find any rooms in town except at the Holiday Inn. We thought. We how bad could it be?

Honestly? It was as if the war was still going on and the hotel was the spot for all the journalists. I don't think they made on update since.

Here is what's wrong with the hotel.

1 no lights on at night. Looks abandoned
2 stinks of heavy smoke - everywhere ( still legal to smoke inside everywhere in Bosnia)
3 nothing has been updated in the hotel - even the TV are from the 90s)
4 overpriced for what they have and are
5 bit too far to walk to the old town

Otherwise if you want a trip down memory lane its ok if there is Nothing else.
They need to clean up all the dead plants outside. Looks like a forgotten building.

Room Tip: Outdated - all rooms the same and smell with heavy smoke
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jas b
Reviewed 26 March 2014

When i arrived at the airport, i asked the taxi driver to take me to a nice hotel close to everything. When I checked in, after being stuck for 2 days at an Istambul airport and loosing my luggage (don't fly Pegasus), i was not even greeted by the front desk clerk. I had to greet him first and when i asked if they had any availability, i was quoted the nightly rate with a " Yes but the nightly rate is $$$". To the clerk's credit, I did look awful, but the staff should be trained on what being hospitable means. I was too tired to argue or to look for another hotel, so I decided to let it slip and stay.
This hotel has seen better days. Unfortunately this hotel has not had any renovations or remodeling since it opened in the 80's. Same furniture, same decor, same comforters, even the same silverware, and dishes with the 1984 olimpics logo are still in use, however, the staff keeps the hotel very clean and it has everything you need.
I have to praise the restaurant staff. The servers were always friendly and accommodating, and also housekeeping; however I cannot say the same thing about the front desk staff.
The hotel is next to a small mall, so it was very convenient.

I hate to say negative things about a place, but unfortunately, the only good thing about the hotel, was the location and the fact that they kept it clean, besides that, I thought it was over priced.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Katherine K
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Olympics hotel probably had seen better days. From the outside it appears lively with his yellow color. Once you enter into the lobby you can smell the glory from the past. Grand lobby, spacious bar. The furniture is outdated. Receptionists were incredibly lazy, and leave you unattended for minutes. The room I got was on the sixth floor. Nothing special and I got an impression that the rooms remained intact from 1984. Windows are hard to open. I got a view on the notorious "sniper street" where many people from Sarajevo were killed during the war in the 1990s. The bathroom was ok, nothing more. Breakfast and dinner were appropriate, primarily including local dishes (very good ones).
Do try the Bosnian coffee. They make it in the hotel bar, and it comes with lokum (bosnian candy with nuts) and two sugar cubes (it costs about 1.40 euros, elsewhere it is cheaper).

Room Tip: Tip for non-smokers: this hotel is not for you. In general, you can smoke in Bosnia everywhere. I am...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 days, came here on holidays with my friend. Hotel was built for olympic games in 1984. and wasnt renovated since then. Maybe it hasnt got the newest and the most modernfurnishment but that gives him that slecial touch, it has got a history and traditional look. Room and bathroom were very comfortable and clean. We sleept very well, and the breakfast was very delicious. The stuff was very nice. Good thing is also that the hotel is in the middle of anything you want. You have only 10 min walking to anywhere you want to go. So, everything was great and we are very satisfated with this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Don´t be fooled with the Holiday Inn name. It is not what you would expect, and so it is a rip off. old furniture, dark, and cigarette smelling everywhere. Restaurant is very bad and staff didnt even knew how much a taxi costed to the airport. Never to come back to this place again.

Room Tip: The best tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PirataGambrinus
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is one of the most poorly run and dirtiest hotels I have stayed in. As has been said before, you would expect more from a chain like Holiday Inn. But I do not think they have sent anyone from corporate to review this property. The bathroom was horrendous and we made sure not to stray from the middle of the tub when showering. The black mold around the tub caulking and the emergency cord was unbelievable. The only positive I can think of is that the pillows were great. Bottom line, find another hotel to make your stay in Sarajevo a pleasant one. The city deserves better!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple