“Great staff and convenient location”
Review of Astra Hotel

Astra Hotel
Ranked #36 of 68 Hotels in Sarajevo
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here when visiting friends in the city. We enjoyed the breakfast, the staff, and the location. We had a hard time finding other hotels with their own bath and this was good for the price. Only complaint would be the noise in the evening.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank jackiemary2011

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Right in the city centre, next to other Sarajevo hotels (Europa, Art). All in all, the location is which makes the hotel a relatively good choise. It is an average hotel, with average services. Free WiFi is avalible. Breakfast is not very variable.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Enviro78
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Good value for money back then when I was there, especially if location is important for you. Very kind staff. Breakfast also good. I stayed there for 5 nights being there for business and I very much liked the proximity of all places I had to visit. Bascarsija/caffe area is starting just outside of the hotel. The room was spacious enough, clean and light, internet working good. It decent, normal price hotel. If you are there on weekends or sometimes in the evening there was a street noise from people shouting and laughing until late in the evening, as hotel windows are not that thick I guess.

Room Tip: I know that my room on the first floor was quite fine.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank LMG12
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The Europe was fully booked when we unexpectedly decided to take an excurtion from the Dalmation Coast for 3 days - the Europe recommended the Astra. No wonder - it has the same owners. The reception is very small and I thought it quite down market for what we had expected. However we were very pleasantly surprised - it is a small intimate hotel, very clean, fairly recently "renovated" and although the rooms are small, quite adequate for the couple of days we were there. What really made our stay was the lovely staff - so friendly and helpfull. We are accostomed to 4 or 5 stars, but I would put this in the Boutique Catagory. My one complaint is the inabilaty to lower the airconditioner for sleeping. At the time we were there I thought it very good value for money in an excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JanelleandGraham
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Currently in my Astra room, a portable airconditioner is making a lot of noise. I have to switch it off when I go to bed. Due to its central location (a benefit) there is street noise until late at night (bars), and the sound isolation is less than ideal. There is an old-fashioned TV, no flatscreen, no digital TV. De lighting is ugly, like other travellers reported.

The good news is that the staff is friendly and helpful, and internet is OK.

I chose this hotel after a couple of budget venues earlier in my holiday (some of them excellent) to have at last some luxury. I did not notice the noise (airconditioner, street noise) soon enough ...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2010

The location of the Astra cannot be beat - so close to all the of the major attractions in the old town center of Sarajevo.
I was booked into a private double at the City Center Hostel down the street, and just by chance walked in to check rates here. For just $11 more each, my friend and I got to stay in a very solid hotel.
It is not the four seasons, but it is a pretty nice place with very helpful staff.
If you just want a solid, comfortable place to say in the best location in Sarajevo, this is the place for you.
We woke up too late for breakfast, but that was included to, pushing it over the top into the good value category.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Previous reviews were expecting the four seasons.....listen....this is a well-run hotel, in a fantastic location....there reaslly isn;t a better location...Holiday Inn is FAR AWAY.......Radon Plaza is FARTHER AWAY and also next to a bombed out retirement home....all other old town options are Hostels......this hotel is right next to the Hotel Europe....which is double....In June 2009, the rate was about 120KM, or 60 Euro....not bad....the room I had was large, no views, high windows....loud music downstairs at all hours...but one quick closing of the window and you are fine....TV had no English...but as one said before...who needs it....Breakfast is basic.....but its included so who cares......Sarajevo is a great city, great value, amazing history, sad history, great people - and this hotel is well worth it....

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo