“Synagogue of Jewish newcomers in Bosnia”

Ashkenazi Synagogue
Reviewed 18 October 2017

The traditional Bosnian Jewish community was composed of the Sephardic Jews who escaped persecution by the Christians in Spain and other countries and were accepted by the Ottoman Turks, and this synagogue belongs to Ashkenazi Jews - Jewish newcomers in Bosnia. They settled with the Austro-Hungarian occupation.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

We were interested in seeing this synagogue, and it is worth a look, but the woman who took us through didn't speak any English and there wasn't any written material so we didn't really learn anything.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

A beautifully painted synagogue. We had an interesting guided tour inside the synagogue, learning about the Jewish community in Sarajevo.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

We just looked from the outside. Unfortunately it was closed on the afternoon we visited so we were unable to go inside.

The building is impressive though and next time I'm in Sarajevo I will find out somehow what the opening times are.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

I first visited this only active synagogue in Sarajevo during summer and was fascinated by beauty of this building, both outside and inside. After I read about rich history of Sephardic Jews in Bosnia I decided to come back to attend one Friday evening service (there are no services during July and August). This community doesn't have any special requirements for non-Jews to attend. People who were waiting for others to come to form minjan were very friendly and soon young hazan (leader in prayer) came and gave me instructions for services. During cold days (as it was a case when I visited) services are conducted in one smaller room, not in synagogue. I was standing behind, they have booklet with Bosnian transliteration of Hebrew prayers and also translation. Service is entirely in Hebrew except one psalm sung in judeo-espanol, language of Sephardic Jews. Melodies are also interesting, Oriental, reminding me of Bosnian traditional music. After service everyone greeted each other with "Shabbat shalom" and I was invited to Shabbat dinner, kiddush, with blessing over wine and bread. Really warm community and I hope I will have chance to meet them again sometimes in future.