“The apartment where we never slept”

Alexander Business Apartments
Ranked #23 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Sofia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Never go to this place! Everything about it was a big joke!!! Me and my boyfriend ordered from hotels.com this apartment 1 month before we had to travel - around New Year's Eve. We received a couple of emails with a confirm that everything is ok and that they will welcome us from 29d until 2nd January. The day before we had to check in the hotel, I called them to tell them that we wil arrive around 15 o'clock, I gave my name and the information that they needed about me, and the woman who I talked with said that everything is fine and that they will wait for us. The next day we arrived as We agreed at 15 o'clock,and we waited and we waited... While we waited I noticed that this hotel is placed in a bad area. There were really suspicious people walking around. After waiting more than 30 minutes I tried to call a couple of times the same lady who I talked with the day before, and she didn't pick it up! 2 hours later I could reach her, and another person pick the phone up and said after I explained that we are waiting for them: " I am sorry, I can't see you on the list, it must have been a misunderstanding". I want to warn to you everyone, who is concerning to stay in this hotel, not to do it. What we experience was something I don't wish for anyone!

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank AsenaR
elviko, General Manager at Alexander Business Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Assena,
I am very disappointed by the lies you write.
Unfortunately we have no contact details with you and our lawyers can not take any action.
I guess that you are a person of our competition in Sofia and try to harm our business.
Try to improve your services and you will have success.
Work a lot and you will succeed.
Best regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Fantastic value accommodation in good location in Sofia. They seem to have thought of everything. even had a washing machine and oven!! Also an umbrella which came in very handy as it rained on day 2. Bed was one of the best i have slept on in any accommodation anywhere in thew world. View from balcony stunning. My only gripe only one mug and could have done with a cafetiere for coffee instead of the old style two part pot. But these are minor issues in what is a great place to stay. Also only about 10 minute walk from center.

Room Tip: Stay at number 17 if you want a good view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank DavidKee
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The apartment where we stayed for 4 nights was really nicely furnished and on a good location- close to the shopping street, also there is a metro station and two big supermarkets nearby.

The main reason to rent this apartment was a bathtub, a printer and a TV in the bedroom available (there was also a tv in the living room).

It would have been GOOD TO KNOW, that after you make a reservation i.e.via expedia, you pay when you go to the apartment. If you decide to pay by bank card, there is a 12% fee over your qouted price!! Otherwise you can pay by cash with less % fee.

The building was a normal residential apartment building where normal families lived, so one of the things that bothered me was that every morning for 15 min we had to listen an old guy caughing and spitting above our living room (poor guy, but we went there to relax).

The problems started on the first day - The bathtub drain plug was missing, luckly we got a new one on the next day! (problem solved)
- The Tv in the bedroom was broken and they brought it to a service center. We never had a chance to used it in the 5 days we were there.
- The printer didnt have ink and paper - I had to print some documents and I called to ask where can I find the paper, cause there wasnt any in the printer, and I got the answer "In Office one superstore" (this is a store nearby) - So even though it was included in the price to use the priner, I had to bring or buy my own paper. Isnt that ridiculous ?!! The back ink was replaced in one day.
Also you can be bothered early morning by a postlady, because you are staying in someone`s apartment and they may have a letter delivired like what happened to us.

In conclusion, I say that the guest relation manager should check if everything is working BEFORE renting her apartment. Instead of relaxing, we had to deal with something wrong every day.

After our 4 nights there, we decided to extend our stay in Sofia for few more days and there was no doubts, that we want to go to a hotel !!

We trusted the 5star ranking in Trip advisor, and I am disappointed. We were not able to use the extras that we paid for, and all we got was a "sorry" on the phone in the end of our stay.

For me honestly, the apartment is not more than 3.5 stars, because of the nice furniture and good location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ted Z
Reviewed 12 May 2013

my honest view is that the room has some cleanliness issues BUT they were minor. BEDS, KITCHEN AND BATHROOM WERE SPOTLESS.. but unit in lounge was very dusty, and under sofa when pulled out to make into bed had clearly not been swept for some time... THAT SAID I would be happy to recommend, perhaps we got a bad day as other reviews state how clean the apartment was... We do plan to stay there again on our n ext visit later this year...GREAT LOCATION, SUPERB HELPFUL STAFF, AND VALUE FOR MONEY more than make up for 10 mins with a duster.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This apartment is really beautiful, with a Free WIFI connection, kitchen . The service is very good and the staff is also helpful.Rooms are very clean and very comfortable, Nice and Tasty food, My freind suggest this apartment to me,

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Puneet S
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Spent NYE 2012 in Sofia and chose this wonderful Apartment to stay at with a group of friends. This will be my third stay and it gets better every time! Exceptionally clean with all the facilities you could need. Fantastic location.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank joseguatemala
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Perfect, very spacious for little money. Buildings may look a little old but the apartments are really beautiful on the inside, with a good working WIFI connection, a fully equiped kitchen and 2 bedrooms and 2 tv's (at least, in mine). The service is very good and the staff speaks english very well. Very well located near the city center. Will definitely take one of these again when I am back, supergreat value for little money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank FreddyD90
Daniela D, Guest Relations Manager at Alexander Business Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Thank you for the great reviews and recommendations. We will be happy to visit us again. Hopefully Sofia will become one of your favorite travel destinations.