“Good vaule for money.”
Review of Hostel Lavele

Hostel Lavele
Ranked #24 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Sofia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Everything was perfect, staff, close to center, apartment. We'll be back again. We had a small problem with the check out. We did not know where to leave the key, because the man who works on reception was not there. Good vaule for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Easy walking distance to everything you need in Sofia, good info for local tours, highly recommend the free walking tour and the FREE FOOD TOUR~!!! absolutely awesome and all totally free. We booked a twin room and were on the top floor, those 4 flights of stairs were a bit painful with luggage so just a heads up. PRICE wise great value, you can't argue too much with an included breakfast as well. cereal, tea, coffee, juice, cheese, ham, bread and spreads to set one up for a day of exploring. There was a quick confusion if we had paid for our room in advance, as the hostel charged us even though on Booking.com they were not mean't to. So TIP: make sure you have a receipt of any payments. We came into Sofia by bus and it's really not walkable from the bus station and so we caught a taxi to the hostel, however the metro in the city is the best option, and the hostel is right by the metro station which had two of the main lines. One bathroom with shower and toilet shared between aprox. 6-8 persons sometimes made it a little tricky between peak periods. Bed's were a little uncomfortable, but okay on hostel standards. Wifi good. Security gate system.
I'd return and recommend for a simple place to sleep, great location and reasonable price given food/wifi the basics any hostel should offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level room to avoid the flights of stairs
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Hostel labeled is one of those jewels among hostels. the location is outstanding, the service is definitely above and beyond the call of duty.the value is unrivaled anywhere, and not least important the atmosphere is truly one of a kind

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I booked a room with this hostel because of all the good reviews. But we had a very different experience, e staff were not friendly or helpful. I booked the 2 bedroom apartment. My friend and I arrived to sofia a few hours earlier than the 2pm checkin, but we were told that we definitely couldn't check in before this time. When the room was finally ready it reeked of cigarette smoke. We asked for another room and were provided with a another twin room. Not sure why this wasn't offered as all the other rooms on our floor were empty. There was a problem with the previous occupants of the room I'd booked, but instead of management discussing the situation with us, they just expected us to put up with a smelly apartment. My friend needed to leave earlier than breakfast is normally served, but the hostel wouldn't provide an earlier breakfast and I'm not sure why not they set up breakfast from 7am as we went and sat in the dining room at that time. There was coffee ready, i asked the staff member for milk and she kept telling me breakfast at 8am! The hostel did finally agree to provide my friend with a sandwich the night before. I have stayed at a number of Bulgarian hostels, this is the worst. The room was clean but with only one bathroom/toilet on the floor it would get very busy. It has a very good location. I will not recommend this hostel, the staff don't make you feel welcome, I felt like a paying inconvenience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I cannot recommend this hostel enough--it's located smack in the center of Sofia, and is in perfect walking distance of the capital's major sights and entertainment (plus public transit). The owner, Mario, is happy to recommend a number of excellent restaurants and night spots, and if you inquire about various tours available (free, bike, foodie, Rila, etc.), he knows just where to send you. What I appreciate the most, however, is the relaxed vibe of the place. There are a variety of other more "party-hardy" places to stay in Sofia (which are great if you're looking for something of the sort), but Lavele's appeal lies in its hospitable atmosphere, reliable staff, and the fact that you can get a good, comfortable night's sleep there. It's great for small groups and solo travelers alike. As a bonus, there's also homemade bread with breakfast. :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Worth of money we paid. Service was excellent. Whatever problem You faced in Sofia, staff finds solution for You. I recommend. Best for travellers without car, because all tourist attractions are within 30minutes walk, but car parking payment is tricky.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed for one night with my family in the apartment. It's basic, but has everything you'll need. Like an idiot I left my iPod when I left and I never thought I'd see it again. But the staff here are people of integrity. The cleaner had found it and they phoned me to ask how they could return it to me. I was amazed and utterly impressed - surely any place you stay in the UK would have pocketed the iPod to make a few quid on eBay?!

These are people that you can trust and for me that's enough reason to recommend them wholeheartedly. I sent them a gift to thank them!

Room Tip: Ask Mario. His English is great and he's very helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family