“It's basically a scam”

Galiani Hostel
Galiani Hostel
Ranked #95 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Sofia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Nothing of the info they put on the Internet is true. The staff deal with complaints by pretending not understanding English. We have have even called the police; then surprise - they told the police that we didn't at all stay there! Can anyone tell someone who can take this hostel listing down the Internet?

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fluffytea

Reviewed 23 October 2013

To say the least, the management of this hostel is not accurate in what they offer. I came to the hostel during the end of October 2013 for 5 days They offered me a private room with a private bathroom for two people. They said the rate was 40 lev for an offsite-"hostel" that was about 400m away from the primary location. I asked if there was a discount for staying more than 1 night. They told me for 5 nights the price would be 36 lev. I went to see the 3 rooms that they had available and I chose one that did not have an ensuite private bathroom. Upon returning to the office, I asked the worker at the hostel if he could offer me a discount on the rate as the bathroom seemed to be shared. They said that for the 36 lev that it would be guaranteed that I would have exclusive use of the bathroom. I agreed to these terms.

One day into my stay, I found the bathroom to be occupied by tenants of another room. Not only that the hot water was continually depleted and I learned that some of my toiletries I had kept in my "private" bathroom were used by the other tennats. I spoke to the owner (not a worker), and she stated no such guaranteed was or could have been made and that there was a misunderstanding due to the language difference. I asked her to call the worker to confirm and she refused. I even offered her to use my phone, but refused as she stated it would take hours to do so. She then went on to offer solutions. She could put in my my own private bd/ba for 45 lev/night or I could take back the remainder of my balance on the nights not spent. Regardless to say I was far from pleased with such options.

When I checked out, the staff came by 12pm and told me that check out was at 11am. I apologized for the late check out and she looked at me as if I had murdered her first born. I left with a smile knowing that I would never becoming back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Showers are handsets hanging off the wall in the small toilet room, the reception staff are very unhelpful and the place is generally unfriendly. The only reason we booked this particular hostel is because their page on hostel bookers quotes free parking. This is an outright lie! We had to park round the back in a public green zone, which is free from 6pm but otherwise we had to pay. After convincing them to please send the text for us we were charged for the parking on top of our room (which have aircon aslong as you are happy to pay extra!!!) Highly unimpressed, we stayed in Canapé Connection on our last visit which we loved but it does not have free parking, if we'd known the deal here we would have gone back to Canapé and avoided this place like the plague.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jamie-Lee K
Reviewed 23 July 2013

If you want to enjoy this city stay anywhere but here!!! This place ruined Sofia for us...cant complain about the room itself, clean and decent size...But...
Host spoke NO English and therefore couldn't help when we had problems with our room
She had NO tourist information facilities, no maps, no direction to the city centre
The hostel was about 30 minute walk from the city centre and as hard to find from the train station as there were no signs outside
Charged over the top prices to leave your bags in the hostel after check out, even though they would have just been on the floor in the office
Charged to fill up water bottles
Shower was a tap hanging off the wall over the toilet
No 24 hour reception, meaning she wasn't there to check us out, even though it was 9am
The room over looked the main road with a tram line and therefore was loud even in the middle of the night
There was no communal area and we didnt see anyone else until we left

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Andy P
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I arrived late at night, and I surely could not believe that that was the same hostel I searched on-line. A degraded building, with a strange smell, and with very poor conditions. The staff was just there to open the door and hand the key, and of course collect payment, and nothing else. I've been around, I've been to a lot of hostels, all around Europe and this was by far the worst. Not to repeatm not to reccomend, reviewing to alert who might think of staying there!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank António M
Reviewed 19 January 2013

not the best hostel i have stayed in but not the worse either when i checked in no one told me were to go for breakfast and it was when i got up no one was to be seen to ask anyway clean and the little old lady who worked there god love her tried her best trying to talk to me and was very kind

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Pros: clean, friendly staff - (willing to help with directions, apologetic for mistake on website about AC), no problems accessing bathroom, decent location

Cons: 1) NOISY, NOISY, NOISY - my room overlooked a very busy street with trams coming through every 2-3 minutes - they sometimes vibrate the building, however relatively quite from midnight - 7am, but don't try to sleep after 7am or get a room away from the road. 2) Very HOT - so you have to either keep the window open (remember the noise factor) or pay 3 euros for 24 hours of A/C. 3) not the cheapest place in town - I chose to stay here because I wanted my own room with AC (which was listed on the website), but surprise, surprise when I arrived the AC was extra. 4) don't be fooled by breakfast included - coffee and a packaged crossiant

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo