“Ugh. What a mistake”

Ranked #6 of 103 Sofia B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Ugh. What a mistake”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I had a 12 hour layover in Sofia so I chose this hotel as it's cheap and close to the airport for my 7am flight. What a mistake.

Yes, it's clean. Ish. Yes, it's cheap. Ish. Yes, the staff was friendly. Ish.

I didn't expect a lot. And I sure didn't get it. My room was unbearably hot. The aircon blew mildly cool air that never ever cooled my room. And the windows don't open. I was here in November, so I probably would have rated this hotel with 4 stars if the freaking window opened. The hallway was at least 20 degrees cooler than my room. So I called down. Someone came to "fix" the air. Sort of helped. Not really. Called again later. Asked if they had a fan. Nope. Suggested I open the door to air out my room. What??? Well, it's what I did. As I was hot and tired.

Do not stay here. The restaurant food was gross at best. And it's just so weird that you would not have windows that at least crack open.

Stay away.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jason H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Papamoa, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Hotel was awesome and excellent value.!
Excellent location, near airport, shopping centres, and metro.
Lovely pool
Very clean
very friendly helpful receptionists
Good food
Good Hairdresser
Shuttle to Airport

Room Tip: Higher floors magnif view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barb L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed there for one night between flights - staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make us happy (including allowing late checkout). This was the second time we visited this hotel, and just like the first time, the room was clean and beds comfortable. Close to "The Mall" which we visited for some kids entertainment before the boring flight. There is also a bank in the hotel building which made exchanging my unneeded local currency very easy (and at a proper rate, unlike airport rates). Breakfast was nothing special but way better than the continental breakfast I've had at other budget hotels. An excellent value for the money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

this hotel needs a good new outer coat but the rooms are clean and the beds are good. the rate is very cheap and we got a voucher for food...didn't use it as the main menu was so cheap too. for a stopover this is hard to beat!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 187069Brenda
Brunswick, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Perfect place to stay in Sofia near the airport. Lots of parking. Good meals included. Staff are very caring and efficient. Stayed here twice when in Sofia. Very economical and hasslefree. Will come back.

• Stayed August 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at ATM after our flight from the UK, & before our long train journey across Bulgaria. The evening meal was very good & very cheap, and breakfast was plentiful. The beds were amazing! They were individually adjustable, and very comfortable. It was raining when we arrived, so the pool didn't seem very inviting. We enquired about the gym, and were given the key in the morning to let ourselves in. This was the only disappointing thing about the hotel - we have a better set up at home! The "multi gym" sort of worked, but nothing else was useable. A word of caution about the buses in Sofia - we asked at the hotel about where to get the bus tickets from, and they told us the driver would have them. Our travelling companions were skeptical about this, as they have been through Sofia several times & have always had to find the ticket machine. Their concern was well founded, as we ended up getting put off the bus & fined for not having tickets - a taxi would have been cheaper. Apart from that, the hotel was well positioned for the airport, and within walking distance from a large shopping centre.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

This was a very cheap price on booking.com. On that basis, you shouldn't complain. All the facilities and services exist- its just slightly unloved and a bit shabby and only half works. My shower door not shutting, the slightly broken feel or many of the fixtures and fittings. The staff were friendly and helpful but pushed dinner. After breakfast which was plentiful but not great quality I resisted! The exercise room is just about holding up but some items are not working.

• Stayed July 2013