“be hosted like the head of a communist state”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #20 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Built by the communist regime for foreign heads of state, adapted by Sheraton into a grand place to stay. Impeccable condition, huge rooms full of tasteful solid wood furnishings, plaza-sized public spaces, again beautifully appointed, lots of wood, no plastic of any kind. Eye-candy all over.
complaints: (1) no Bulgarian yogurt @ bkfst (this is a huge foul in my rule book), (2) don't advertise well their free wi-fi, while wired connection is steeply priced.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ilan E
GERRYBOND, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

In reference with your comments about Bulgaria yogurt at the breakfast I would like to assure you that I have taken notes and addressed the mentioned issue to the all concerned departments for immediate reaction and would make sure the special attention is paid.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and excuse your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Gerasimos Perdikaris,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with ehotel.de
2  Thank Sonia S
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Reviewed 27 May 2012

I have had some bad experiences with Sheratons both in the United States and abroad, but this one was excellent. It is a beautiful hotel, literally smack in the middle of the tourist area, actually attached to the Presidential Palace. They gave me a gigantic room, which was impeccably clean and comfortable. I stayed at Marriots, Hiltons, Ibis, and Starwood hotels during my 10 day trip through Eastern Europe, and this was by far the best hotel (although all were nice). The one minor complaint is that the prices for any food or drink from the refrigerator in the room are absurdly expensive. I had run out of water, but I was unwilling to pay the ~$15 for a small bottle of Evian.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Brad_K_NY_NM
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your memorable stay at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is through responses like yours that we evaluate our services and I thank you once more for your invaluable input.

We look forward to welcome you and be of service hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have been to Sofia on several business trips, and always find Sheraton Hotel Balkan, ideal for me needs. Good location in town center, friendly and helpful staff. Good quality free WiFi throughout and a decent breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Businesstraveller03
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We were pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

We look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

When i first enter to the hotel the reception and the lobby area looks very nice, i stayed at a corner suite and the room was extremely big. my first impression was good, bu after a while the details became clear. the room and the bath room was dirty. it was about 10 pm when i checked in so i did not say anything to the house keeping. the next day i left the room in the morning and came bad late at evening. Surprisingly no house keeping service was given to my room. i called the room service at 8 pm, they just laughed.
next morning at the breakfast i ordered a coca cola, the waiters said no :))) i said why? she said you have to pay. i said ok i pay please bring me a coke, again she said no :))) after an argue about 5 minutes i was able to drink a coke.

in brief, the service team is so bad and rude, the only thing i can say about this hotel is the location

Room Tip: corner suite rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ekobarlas
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your latest experience in our hotel.

Given the fact that we cannot establish when exactly you stayed in the hotel due to the limited amount of information given to us, it has been rather difficult for me to isolate this incident and take corrective action on internal basis.

However, let me profusely assure you that our daily practice and service culture in our hotel is of very high standards, that is reflected in our market leader status in Sofia.

Having said that, I would like sincerely to offer my apologies to you for the negative experience you had in our hotel and let me assure you that I would be delighted to meet you in person when your travels bring you again to our beautiful city.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed here for 4 weeks while on a business trip. It is very conveniently located near the shopping area, with many good cafes/restaurants in the vicinity. The rooms were spacious, clean and nice. Customer service was great, and breakfast selection was reasonably good. My only suggestion for improvement is to improve the fitness centre, which doesn't seem new and well-equipped enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our team have fulfilled your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sheraton Sofia Hotel Balkan through Trip Advisor.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and further improve our standards.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

This gorgeous property has been saved by the Kimpton Group and turned into a lovely hotel. But it has some quirks. One day great hot water, the next, almost none. And the room service tray looked like it was from MacD's. No glass of water, no glass for the beer, beer unopened, no salt/pepper/mustard/ketchup - very odd - almost like they went out for it and dumped on a tray.
I liked the look and feel of the hotel and I might stay again, but these inconsistencies were hard to accept.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Maryandlee

Dear Valued Guest,

With all due respect, we believe that you were put all comments not for us, but another hotel in USA. We will be delighted to invite you in our hotel in Bulgaria.