“Nice hotel in good location”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 20 September 2013

nice hotel, very good location, very good service. Nice view to the historical garden,
The hotel is very clean also the room is large and clean.
very good food in the mornining. Nice bar and the price arr good. I did not like the food at dinner.

• Stayed: September 2013
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 18 September 2013

After a week skiiing and drinking heavily we found ourselves wondering around Sofia desperately looking for somewhere to stay. From the outside I thought it would be well out of our price range, but the staff took pity and gave us a very reasonable deal. The hotel is lovely and the rooms were very luxurious. My single bed was about 4ft high with thick, comfortable bedding. I had a great nights sleep. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for your time taken to write such a positive comments regarding your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan a Luxury Collection Hotel!

I am very pleased to see that you and your travel fellows have enjoyed the services at our hotel and that our employees have made your stay an enjoyable one.

Your positive comments will stimulate our staff to maintain and even exceed the excellent quality of service and thank you once more.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Good location for a supposedly 5 stars hotel in old communist party building. Rooms are large, corridors even more but he main problem is that communist party disappeared some 23 years ago and hotel wasn't refurbished since then - rooms are, if not dirty then at least not spotless, furniture remembers old regime and the staff was clearly trained back then. It is pity as hotel has great potential but still not fully used.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Scipion-Paris

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

I assure you that your comments are already taken under serious consideration, especially those about refurbishment.

Once again thank you very much for your valuable input!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

This old lady just feels like roaylty.. Smells a bit like grandma and the furniture in the rooms and all over is quite the old grandma style..but still manages to hold on to its elegant history even if its quite tired. Service level seems to be definitly up to SPG standards which is saying alot in Bulgaria. I would highly recommend this as a safe and royal spot to check out sofia.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pgblack
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards and of course our facilities.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

What a great experience. This is a big old hotel. It used to be the Communist Party HQ in Sofia until some bright spark decided it should be a showpiece hotel. It is old fashioned in the best sense. Big wide marble staircases, chandeliers, spacious lobbies on each floor, fabulous staff (as with most people I had contact with in Sofia, they were charming and considerate without ever being subservient. The concierges are great guys.) Room was very good. Needed a little touch of maintenance but it was a delight (apart from the hopeless TV which appears to plague Bulgaria as much as elsewhere! What is it with hotels and TVs?) with a comfortable bed, lovely bathroom, terrific shower. No iron or ironing board but they were delivered super-promptly by a smiling member of staff (imagine rapid service and smiles English staff in London?!). And a terrific location - turn left and you are in the main shopping precinct which is charming for its local flavour - no otherwise ubiquitous chain stores, no Marks and Spencer, no Boots or W H Smith. Great! Would I stay here again - absolutely. It is not the Ritz but a top Bulgarian hotel and much a better experience. Loved it.

Room Tip: If you get the front of the hotel, up high, the view across the square is very good. No problems wit...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your memorable stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments have already been shared between all our team members.

Thank you for your mind words!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is a nice hotel, in a great location. Most of the staff was cordial and nice, except for one individual at the reception desk. The hotel features a casino (I did not bother to visit); and a two restaurants. I did not eat the restaurant and cannot comment. Otherwise I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience experienced with this one person of our staff on the reception desk during your stay.

Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just wanted to try "famous" Sheraton hotel, but was not really impressed. Executive room had a small french balcony, what was nice, but the furnire was tired... Bed very comfortable.
The only thing that "impressed" me were the prices of "extras"; they charge internet in room more tehn expesive...it's been some time, since I was there, but I think it was about 17 EUR per day (this is really expensive in comparison to ohre Sofia prices) and drinks from minibar costs more then double... in comparison to some expensive bars in Sofia or 4 x in comparison to a "normal" Sofia bar... Service at reception is poor... no one from the staff was nice enough... business like and cold, some of them maybe even rude..
Breakfast is very reach and good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelX17

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments through Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us.

I take very serious note of your comments and let me assure you that a detailed corrective action is already been implemented. I am sad to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that you have found us overpriced in comparison to what we offer.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about service and facilities in our hotel. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly.

Finally together with my deepest apologies I would like you to consider giving us another chance when you decide to return to Sofia. Rest assured that next time we will make it up for you.