Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #20 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I only stayed one night and I really enjoyed it. The location is great, roums are spacious with great views.
This is definately Sofia's landmark hotel and would definately visit again and recommend it by all means!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you for your time taken to write such positive comments regarding your stay with us and to extend the greetings from all here at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Your valuable comments will help us improve on our standards even more.

Athanasios Pantazis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here end Oct. 2013 as I was participating in a fair on the premises.

The room was a bit small but ok but way too hot, as usual in this part of the world which I detest ! I'd suspected this would be the case, so I'd specifically asked for and got a room with a window I could open which resolved the problem. unfortunately it was a bit dark in the room for my liking, hotels pls note we like good natural light for the day with good black out curtains for a good night s sleep.

Bathroom had a bathtub with shower overhead and I think a walk in shower and no tub is better as one can easily slip in the bath shower. I had to request a rubber matt which was provided. Plus, who has the time or inclination to take a bath nowadays, especially in a hotel? Walk in power shower is better.
this building was a former Communist party HQ and the floor lobby's and hall were were spacious and lovely with marble staircases. Rooms do however need renovating and cleaning of rooms could be better. The bed was way too hard and the pillows terrible, too soft and squishy with no substance!

buffet breakfast was good and the business centre was handy and staff helpful.

decent location in town centre with a Catholic Church nearby, too.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Denise P

Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you, for sharing your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. I would like to assure you that we have already taken your comments under consideration and that we will do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Old world charm, Eastern European luxury (albeit a bit dated) in the very center of Sofia. Taxi will run you 10-12 lev to/from airport. On week of Oct 28, a very friendly and helpful trainee at the front desk made all the difference in all of my stays.

I’ve now had 3 separate stays, 5-6 nights each.

Classic/Standard room – avoid if possible. Comparably small and cramped. Room was front facing on the second floor, so privacy curtain is always needed. Also located near conference lobby, which made it on the noisy side.

Smart Room – Significant upgrade to the standard room, almost like a mini suite, split between an “office area” and bedroom. Despite being tailored for the working crowd, did not come with free wifi/internet. Free copies of FT.

Junior/Mini Suite – larger than the smart room, but does not feel as significant between Classic vs Smart. Room was on third floor front facing, so didn't have the privacy or conference noise to contend with. Bed was terrible; very hard, barely any padding and felt like it was just a cardboard over bedsprings.

Recommendation:
- 3rd floor or higher.
- If business traveler, be sure to bring a copy of your company’s pre authorization. In all 3 stays, Sheraton claim they either did not receive the pre authorization or prepayment.
- Stay away from the entertainment in the basement of hotel. Overpriced and gouge you every chance they get.

Room Tip: - choose 3rd floor or higher. - If business traveler, be sure to bring a copy of your company’s p...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kenneth712
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Please be sure that we already took your comments under serious consideration, especially the ones about the mattresses.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Located in the very centre of Sofia this hotel offers what you would expect from an upscale hotel in any european city. Just outside the hotel you can find the more upscale and expensive shops and one of the largest shopping-coffee streets of the city.

Large and clean rooms. Rich breakfast buffet and good overall service. Prices were fair for what they had to offer.

Internet (wifi) is offered for free in the lounge area but not in the rooms. Room internet comes at a price.

Try to avoid room near the large conference halls because they might be noise under circumstances.

Overall I think it is more than a safe choice.

Room Tip: choose rooms away from the conference halls.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AgentAC
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Where do I begin......I am very disappointed, especially as I had very high hopes for this hotel!
Tragedy comes to mind when it comes to my experience! The room was nice and big, however, all furniture is very old and needs replacing. I stayed 5 nights, but couldn't wait to get out. On the first morning after a shower, I realised that the bathroom was kind of flooded. The shower curtain was from normal fabric -no idea in what world this makes sense..... I tried drying my hair and all the plug sockets went dead, so I was sat is darkness until the technician turned up. When he did, he told me to be careful as all plug sockets are very sensitive. I was using a hair dryer - not a heavy voltage machinery!
The rooms are supposed to be no smoking rooms, however, after staying there for a few hours - my hair smelt of cigarette smoke..? The prices you have to pay for TV and internet are ridiculous!!! 30 Euros for 24 hours - if you want both... What? And you are told that if you use any other WI FI - that will still be added to your bill.... How would they know if you have used another wi fi? Do they spy on their clients? Seriously guys - avoid at all cost!!! I don't want to forget to mention that as I was in the room some service staff just walked in without waiting for me to respond to the door knocks.. I am speechless! The guys on the reception were nice, and that's about it.. Old, tired, overpriced and not worth it!!!! Stay away!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Hotel Collection. Your valuable comments will contribute to our team’s on going efforts to monitor and improve our standards and help us in our continuous search for excellence.

In reference with your comments about our room, especially for the furniture and the room renovation, I would like to assure you that I have taken notes addressed the mentioned issues to the all concerned departments for immediate reaction, and would make sure the special attention is paid.

Please allow me to assure you that we are not spying anyone, your contact details are stated to the system when you are giving your room number.

Thank you for your valuable input to Sofia Hotel Balkan, A Luxury Hotel Collection Hotel, the most historical and famous Hotel in Sofia, most preferred from VIPS (last month we were honored to accommodate 2 Head of States from other countries.)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The mattress was very hard and there was only a sheet covering it (no mattress pad or any other covering). I did try to ask the maid but she didn't understand. Otherwise staff and amenities were good.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

Please be sure that we took already under serious consideration your comments, especially for the mattresses.

Thank you for your valuable input and please accept my apologies for all inconveniences experienced during your stay with us.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I loved the hotel. Excellent location. Great architectural. Good foods. Close to subway. Wonderful staff. Room was better than I expected. As it is surrounded by historical buildings and sites, it is, in fact, central to everything. So many nearby places to stroll.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for the time taken to fill out your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Your warm comments are more than impressive and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to fulfill and indeed exceed your expectations.

One more time thanks for you high appreciation and rest assured that we look forward to welcome you again, hopefully in the very near future.