“Good Experience Overall”

Ranked #15 of 131 Hotels in Sofia
Sydney, Australia
“Good Experience Overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was told this was an old communist style building and it felt that way. The decor and overall aesthetic was worn and dated. Definitely don't go here if you're looking for modern. With that said, I was quite happy overall with my experience. I was upgraded to a suite room so it started it off well. The room was spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. We got a good night's sleep. The internet access was a bit spotty given that my room was in a corner of the building.

The front desk staff were definitely 5 star quality. Kind and professional, although personally I thought they could have toned down the snootiness, but I guess they have to match the majority of the clientele that they receive. Before I checked in, the front desk staffer was assisting someone who was extremely high maintenance, so I don't envy them.

Overall, decent experience and I'd have no issue staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments are motivating us to improve our performance and have already been shared between all our team members.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

It is an old hotel, which requires good refurbishment. Almost everything in the room is old and outdated. Bathroom is purely equiped. All this is manageble, but what they will do with wide corridors and small, narrow rooms, I don't have any idea. Some of the staff is friendly and cooperative, others not so much. Breakfast is average. What is really goos is it's location. Bur there are much better hotels in Sofia in this price range. Do not recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dato13
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about facilities in our hotel. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks about the bathroom, as well as the breakfast, in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly.

It would be really helpful to us to have more details about our staff performance, which is something of great focus for us, in order to help us in our continuous search for excellence.

Finally, I would like to thank you once more for your very valuable feed back and I hope that you will come back and give us the chance to make it up to you.

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Should have known better - already stayed there before, is was already old, dirty and in need of refurbishment back then. Then I heard that it's is being taken care of. Unfortunately, in spite of claims of management, nothing has changed (apart from adding some more shops in the lobby, not very useful, and a half naked doll trying to direct you to the casino, something I wouldn't expect at a Starwood facility). Now, mind you, it is even supposed to be a 'luxury collection" hotel, not Four Points one - my conclusion is that once franchise is given, nobody from Starwood HQs in Stamford is checking it anymore (note to myself - forward the review to them).

Rooms are old, decoration is not even a matter of taste, it is just plainly awful (and being Platinum I guess that I wasn't offered the worts room); non smoking room is non smoking only in the mind of the front desk person; checking process takes ages (ok, computers were broken so basically they were copying everything from my passport, CC and SPG card by hand); bell boy was having a nice chat when I was getting out of the car, once in lobby he only managed to put my luggage on the trolley then, having disappeared somewhere, conveniently reappeared just to request a tip when I already took my bag to the elevator !

Just scrap this property off the list till it is fully refurbished; as to the 'Luxury collection', this hotel is a disgrace to the brand. I'm staying some 150nights/year at various hotels and clearly this one is not even at the level of a cheapest Starwood brand.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Scipion-Paris
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed here in May of 2013 and my group had a car fire which destroyed my passport, ID, money, you name it. It was a very stressful time and the staff went out of their way to help me and the entire group. We were so grateful for the tremendous amount of help, patience and support we received! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry to learn about your misfortune with your car, and I assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to fulfill and indeed exceed your expectations.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and improve our performance and I thank you once more.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel made my visit to Sofia just perfect . Location is great for tourists - right in the middle of the centre. Staff is very friendly and always helpful. They speak very well English and give good recommendations (not only the touristy stuff). Breakfast is very good too. Thank you for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and the members of our staff and services have fulfilled your expectations.

Please know that your positive comments are motivating us to continue improving our standards and performance.

Therefore, I would like to thank you once more for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcome you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Bruxelles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Introduction:

I was willing to discover a new place for a private city trip and choose Sofia.
As a SPG member, I contacted The Balkan Hotel, now a property ran under The Luxury Collection brand, formerly Sheraton, both from the Starwood Group.
Mrs. Kiatova, the Reservation Manager, and Mrs Shivarova, answered all my questions and requests very professionally and in a real friendly manner.
She could even confirm that I would be upgraded in an Executive Suite with a small balcony allowing me to smoke.

I was about to make a detailed review of this hotel, as I usually do, but I don’t see the point spending hours to do that.
My first moments in this property confirmed the poor comments of many other members.
“In urgent need of renovation”.
This is the first time I am stating to avoid a place until they renovate unless you do expect a super deal and feel right about having poor accommodation.

Some troubles I experienced right away:

- Regular Wifi or Ethernet wasn’t working on arrival. I was told to connect to one of the free Wifi around, and that was like going back in time. I could not watch any YouTube stuff! The best I could do is get a couple of mails. Browsing was truly hard.
On top of that, as other members mentioned, I had a written warning that if I connect to whatever other network I would be charged anyway. Indeed, do they spy on us?

- I was upgraded in an executive (huge) suite, but the bathroom was just a joke. The separate shower was a small add on cheap looking cabinet, very poor shower for such a suite. When turning on the water everything fell apart. I couldn't believe it as another member already mentioned this. It is still not fixed! No way you can have a shower in there as nothing works.
I tried the bath as an alternative and turned on the shower…it was cold. It took forever before it started to get a little warm but the hand held shower was almost giving no water and spiting all over the place.
In short, having a shower in this hotel is a nightmare.

- Some lights were missing bulbs and most of them were simply not plugged in on arrival. I had to plug them in myself.

- The bathrobes and slippers looks like they have been worn out by many other guests previously.

- There is no spare toilet paper and the roll was half way used on arrival.

- I searched everywhere but couldn’t even find a pen or paper!

Conclusion:

On top of the room state, the corridors and lobby give you that impression that the lights aren’t turned on. It’s a cold and depressing atmosphere.

I have to say that the Balkan Hotel Staff was quite nice on check out as they were in general. Although they were a little surprised that I choose not to stay, they took great care of checking me out and even had a very nice gesture. They only charged the night I stayed, not the full booking (which was prepaid though). I shall once again mention Mrs Shivarova for that.
Much appreciated.

Once again, the disappointment is more about the owners of a place not choosing to invest in the future and hoping to take as much milk as possible from the cow. Not about the staff that in many places like this are doing their best to compensate the lack of comfort of the guest.

Dates of stays:
February 14th till 15th, 2014.

Thanks for reading.
Stephane

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank StephaneBxl
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you, for sharing your thoughts and positive feelings about the services and hospitality that our employees have extended to you during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel. Your valuable comments will contribute to our team’s ongoing efforts to monitor and improve our service standards and help us in our continuous search for excellence.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about the facilities in the rooms and bathrooms, as well as the free wifi. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your stay with us. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The location is great as fellow reviewers pointed out. I am not a Sheraton regular but one should really revamp the rooms. Apart from the odd smell (smoking?) everything seemed and/or was too old or inconvenient (rock hard bed). Service and breakfast were good, so was buffet lunch but such rooms you do not expect. Maybe I was unlucky but heard similar stories.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you, for sharing with us your thoughts about the services and facilities experienced during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff and our breakfast have fulfilled your expectations.
Let me assure you, that your comments about the accommodation and more specifil the smoking in the rooms which is something really hard to control, have already been taken into consideration.

Please know that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.