“The best hotel, perfect location”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #13 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
London, United Kingdom
“The best hotel, perfect location”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was staying at this hotel in January. The hotel is exactly in the heart of Sofia, the room was perfect with a very nice view and quiet I was sleeping like never before. The staff was very polite and helpful, especially at the reception desk, always smiling and professional. Thank you for the memorable stay guys.....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pavel S
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your memorable stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that our facilities and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

Responses like yours motivate us more in order to provide even better services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments have already been shared between all our team members.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have stayed here on several occasions, it is my choice when visiting Sofia.

It is an old and grand hotel. The hotel is a legend in Sofia, and everyone have a story about it. Don't expect a St. Regis butler or a Grand Bretagne rooftop pool when booking this hotel. But thenagain you will never pay 300 EUR here. This hotel is amongst the best value hotels around, and can be had as low as 50 EUR per night.

On my last stay I was upgraded to an Executive suite (as a SPG platinum member). The suite was enormous and very comfortable. The suite was clean and spotless as always. Turndown service is also provided every evening, with the usual chocolate-on-pillow, slippers, clean towels, etc.

The executive lounge is a nice place to enjoy a beer or a coffee. There is a limited breakfast in the morning, and some sandwiches and canapes in the evening. Beer/wine/coffee/tea/soft drinks etc is available 24/7. The lounge is replentished very frequently. You will get access to the lounge if you are a SPG platinum member, or if you pay a few euro extra and book an executive room.

Sure, the hotel is old and not very hip. But it is grand and very comfortable. It is quirky in so many ways too: a "bar" in the basement called Scandal, old deserted hallways (I am sure the walls have so many stories to tell), a historic church in the courtyard, sharing the same building as the Presidential Offices, etc. It is a very interesting hotel, with an interesting history. Maybe Hilton and Radisson are newer, but they are just bland and plain business hotels - no soul IMO.

The shortages I have encountered during my many stays are the lack of an in room coffeemaker (but I have had those recently), VERY expensive minibar, lack of a proper spa facility, lack of a pool, small bathrooms, etc. On the other side, the staff are very proactive and responsive to any requests. It is an old historic building, and the infrastructure has its limits, so I guess changing it cant be done overnight.

The location is the best in Sofia. Close to all tourist spots and shopping.

Roomservice is very good :) All the meals I have had here have been good, well prepared and tasteful.

All these things are things that makes me return to this hotel again and again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank skrosvik
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for your time taken to write such positive comments regarding your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan a Luxury Collection Hotel!

I was very pleased to read that the accommodations and the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. Your positive comments will stimulate us and our staff to improve the excellent quality of our services.

I would like to note that we already took into consideration your comments about the mini bar prices. In reference with your comments regarding our room’s coffee and tea facilities I should inform you that they are provided free of charge in all our Deluxe rooms and Suites.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was told this was an old communist style building and it felt that way. The decor and overall aesthetic was worn and dated. Definitely don't go here if you're looking for modern. With that said, I was quite happy overall with my experience. I was upgraded to a suite room so it started it off well. The room was spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. We got a good night's sleep. The internet access was a bit spotty given that my room was in a corner of the building.

The front desk staff were definitely 5 star quality. Kind and professional, although personally I thought they could have toned down the snootiness, but I guess they have to match the majority of the clientele that they receive. Before I checked in, the front desk staffer was assisting someone who was extremely high maintenance, so I don't envy them.

Overall, decent experience and I'd have no issue staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments are motivating us to improve our performance and have already been shared between all our team members.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 March 2014

It is an old hotel, which requires good refurbishment. Almost everything in the room is old and outdated. Bathroom is purely equiped. All this is manageble, but what they will do with wide corridors and small, narrow rooms, I don't have any idea. Some of the staff is friendly and cooperative, others not so much. Breakfast is average. What is really goos is it's location. Bur there are much better hotels in Sofia in this price range. Do not recommend it!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dato13
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about facilities in our hotel. In regards to your comments, I would like to kindly inform you that I have discussed your remarks about the bathroom, as well as the breakfast, in details with the concerned departments and let me assure you that corrective action has been taken accordingly.

It would be really helpful to us to have more details about our staff performance, which is something of great focus for us, in order to help us in our continuous search for excellence.

Finally, I would like to thank you once more for your very valuable feed back and I hope that you will come back and give us the chance to make it up to you.

Paris, France
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Should have known better - already stayed there before, is was already old, dirty and in need of refurbishment back then. Then I heard that it's is being taken care of. Unfortunately, in spite of claims of management, nothing has changed (apart from adding some more shops in the lobby, not very useful, and a half naked doll trying to direct you to the casino, something I wouldn't expect at a Starwood facility). Now, mind you, it is even supposed to be a 'luxury collection" hotel, not Four Points one - my conclusion is that once franchise is given, nobody from Starwood HQs in Stamford is checking it anymore (note to myself - forward the review to them).

Rooms are old, decoration is not even a matter of taste, it is just plainly awful (and being Platinum I guess that I wasn't offered the worts room); non smoking room is non smoking only in the mind of the front desk person; checking process takes ages (ok, computers were broken so basically they were copying everything from my passport, CC and SPG card by hand); bell boy was having a nice chat when I was getting out of the car, once in lobby he only managed to put my luggage on the trolley then, having disappeared somewhere, conveniently reappeared just to request a tip when I already took my bag to the elevator !

Just scrap this property off the list till it is fully refurbished; as to the 'Luxury collection', this hotel is a disgrace to the brand. I'm staying some 150nights/year at various hotels and clearly this one is not even at the level of a cheapest Starwood brand.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Scipion-Paris
Orlando
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed here in May of 2013 and my group had a car fire which destroyed my passport, ID, money, you name it. It was a very stressful time and the staff went out of their way to help me and the entire group. We were so grateful for the tremendous amount of help, patience and support we received! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you, for sharing your thoughts and positive feelings about the services and hospitality that our employees have extended to you during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I am sorry to learn about your misfortune with your car, and I assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to fulfill and indeed exceed your expectations.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and improve our performance and I thank you once more.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel made my visit to Sofia just perfect . Location is great for tourists - right in the middle of the centre. Staff is very friendly and always helpful. They speak very well English and give good recommendations (not only the touristy stuff). Breakfast is very good too. Thank you for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to share with you that I am really happy to see you have enjoyed your stay with us and the members of our staff and services have fulfilled your expectations.

Please know that your positive comments are motivating us to continue improving our standards and performance.

Therefore, I would like to thank you once more for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcome you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.