“Really happy in my short stay”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Athens, Greece
“Really happy in my short stay”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed for just one day on a business trip recently. The hotel is very good, with excellent location, spacious rooms that are quiet, good facilities and good quality breakfast. It was value for money based on the rate I had. On the negative side, the room was quite dusty as I noticed in the morning with the sun light coming in and the wifi reception was not very good. Overall I was happy, I would stay again and I recommend it.

1 Thank ChrisChrysostalis
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts about our services and facilities during your recent stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through the Trip Advisor’s website.

Therefore, I would like to note you that we already took into consideration your comments about the condition of your room and Wi-Fi. Feedback like yours motivates us to strive to better ourselves.

Thank you again and we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Athanasios Pantazis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I just came back from a business trip to Sofia. I stayed in Balkan Sofia. It is an excellent choice.
It certainly needs renovation but the location is excellent, the food delicious and the personnel very kind and helpful. It is a sure choice

1 Thank gina p
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Ridiculously over priced hotel for rooms which have to the be the smallest I have stayed in.

Room service costs are incredibly high, for average food.

Constant touting for business by the bar in the basement by ladies in the reception area taking every chance to try and convince you to visit.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you for your time taken to share your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel Trip Advisor.

I would like to note that we have already taken into consideration your comments about our rates.
Regarding your comments about your experience at the Night club located in the basement of the Hotel I would like to point out that this facility is outsourced and is fully operated independently.

Our hotel Lobby bar is open every night until 12.45 for last orders and our beverage prices are very reasonable indeed in comparison with all other 5 star hotels in Sofia.

Here at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel as part of our hotel culture we strive daily to meet and exceed guest’s expectations and therefore we would be very grateful if during your next visit to Sofia you gave us a second chance to experience our hospitality and have the opportunity to meet in person.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The rooms need major updating, the beds were very uncomfortable, the non-smoking rooms smoky, and although I received a room upgrade, no additional amenities were offered. I am used to getting a note from the manager, a welcome fruit basket, free suit pressing, and at times, a bottle of wine. I did laundry one night and it was very overpriced. The worse part was that I was overcharged by $50 and the front desk staff didn't even offer to comp the bill for the huge error. The executive lounge snacks were good but the lounge was poorly staffed. The wait to check in and out was long. There was no dedicated SPG preferred guest line. The hotel is conveniently located to major attractions and restaurants.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying elsewhere or speaking to a manager before booking this hotel.
1 Thank Lewis C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was staying at this hotel in January. The hotel is exactly in the heart of Sofia, the room was perfect with a very nice view and quiet I was sleeping like never before. The staff was very polite and helpful, especially at the reception desk, always smiling and professional. Thank you for the memorable stay guys.....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pavel S
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for sharing your positive thoughts and feelings regarding your memorable stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that our facilities and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

Responses like yours motivate us more in order to provide even better services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments have already been shared between all our team members.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have stayed here on several occasions, it is my choice when visiting Sofia.

It is an old and grand hotel. The hotel is a legend in Sofia, and everyone have a story about it. Don't expect a St. Regis butler or a Grand Bretagne rooftop pool when booking this hotel. But thenagain you will never pay 300 EUR here. This hotel is amongst the best value hotels around, and can be had as low as 50 EUR per night.

On my last stay I was upgraded to an Executive suite (as a SPG platinum member). The suite was enormous and very comfortable. The suite was clean and spotless as always. Turndown service is also provided every evening, with the usual chocolate-on-pillow, slippers, clean towels, etc.

The executive lounge is a nice place to enjoy a beer or a coffee. There is a limited breakfast in the morning, and some sandwiches and canapes in the evening. Beer/wine/coffee/tea/soft drinks etc is available 24/7. The lounge is replentished very frequently. You will get access to the lounge if you are a SPG platinum member, or if you pay a few euro extra and book an executive room.

Sure, the hotel is old and not very hip. But it is grand and very comfortable. It is quirky in so many ways too: a "bar" in the basement called Scandal, old deserted hallways (I am sure the walls have so many stories to tell), a historic church in the courtyard, sharing the same building as the Presidential Offices, etc. It is a very interesting hotel, with an interesting history. Maybe Hilton and Radisson are newer, but they are just bland and plain business hotels - no soul IMO.

The shortages I have encountered during my many stays are the lack of an in room coffeemaker (but I have had those recently), VERY expensive minibar, lack of a proper spa facility, lack of a pool, small bathrooms, etc. On the other side, the staff are very proactive and responsive to any requests. It is an old historic building, and the infrastructure has its limits, so I guess changing it cant be done overnight.

The location is the best in Sofia. Close to all tourist spots and shopping.

Roomservice is very good :) All the meals I have had here have been good, well prepared and tasteful.

All these things are things that makes me return to this hotel again and again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank skrosvik
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for your time taken to write such positive comments regarding your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan a Luxury Collection Hotel!

I was very pleased to read that the accommodations and the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. Your positive comments will stimulate us and our staff to improve the excellent quality of our services.

I would like to note that we already took into consideration your comments about the mini bar prices. In reference with your comments regarding our room’s coffee and tea facilities I should inform you that they are provided free of charge in all our Deluxe rooms and Suites.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was told this was an old communist style building and it felt that way. The decor and overall aesthetic was worn and dated. Definitely don't go here if you're looking for modern. With that said, I was quite happy overall with my experience. I was upgraded to a suite room so it started it off well. The room was spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. We got a good night's sleep. The internet access was a bit spotty given that my room was in a corner of the building.

The front desk staff were definitely 5 star quality. Kind and professional, although personally I thought they could have toned down the snootiness, but I guess they have to match the majority of the clientele that they receive. Before I checked in, the front desk staffer was assisting someone who was extremely high maintenance, so I don't envy them.

Overall, decent experience and I'd have no issue staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about the services and facilities at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that the members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel.

It is through responses like yours that we can evaluate our services and I thank you once more. Let me assure you that your sincere and kind comments are motivating us to improve our performance and have already been shared between all our team members.