“Sheraton Sofia Balkan - Sofia. Good”

Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

About 20 minutes from airport. Taxi charges about 11 leva in the night and 9 leva in day time if not much traffic. Fabulous approach to hotel. Gives an imperial feeling. Rooms are big and atmosphere is palatial. Was lucky to get a good price by booking online through a travel website. Free internet. Good breakfast. Complimentary toiletries. Bathtub. But water pressure was low in shower. Lighting during late evening and night was a strain. Polite staff. Fast check in. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MAB-India
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts concerning your experience at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations. Comments like yours motivate us to improve even more on our performance.

Please know that your comments about the water pressure, which is an issue for the entire historical city centre, as well as the ones about the lightning, have already been taken into consideration.

Once again thank you very much for your invaluable input and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Sheraton hotel is a classic hotel in the heart of it all. I struggled between 3 and 4 stars but the location is as good as it gets if you want to explore central Sofia this is. Its a classic building built in the 50's and the first hotel to be run by westerners in Bulgaria.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paul J

Dear Valued Guest,

I was pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and I would like to assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations. As such we would be delighted to welcome you back to Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel next time your travels bring you to Sofia.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Hi I have just returned from 2 nights at this hotel attending a conference. The hotel is in a great location and it is very easy to walk around the centre of town.
My room was quite nice - however as a regular traveller it failed with two of the key items I judge hotels rooms on - a good shower (low water pressure and at best tepid on first day, slightly warmer on second (maybe because I got up early to beat the rush)) and a hair dryer in the bathroom attached to the wall needed a button pressing to use (these kinds of hairdryers do not work effectively for women with long hair).
Breakfast at the hotel was an excellent choice - however the hot food was barely hot.
The conference room we used suffered from poor air circulation temperature control and the ballroom lighting may be great for balls but not for viewing PowerPoint slides all day.
Overall this was not a bad hotel but I would probably stay elsewhere if I were to return to Sofia.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank fionaemartin
GMSheratonSofia, General Manager at Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our services and facilities during your recent stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel through the Trip Advisor’s website.

In reference with your comments about the water pressure and hair dryer, as well as the poor ac and lighting, I would like to assure you that these were temporally issues that are already resolved. I would be grateful, if you could also inform us what was the number of the room to which you were referring.

Finally, I would like to thank you once more for your very valuable feed back and I hope that you will come back and give us the chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at Sheraton on our last visit to Sofia. Great location, unfortunately the hotel was not so great. Very unwelcoming room, old furniture and carpets.. It seemed stuck in time. Considering the distance between places over there is insignificant you could get much more for your money from all the nice boutique hotels around. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Azsam1

Dear Valued Guest,

May I thank you for your time taken to share your thoughts concerning your experience at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel Trip Advisor.

I would like to note you that we have already taken into consideration your remarks. Your valuable comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.

Here at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel as part of our hotel culture we strive daily to meet and exceed guest’s expectations and therefore we would be very grateful if during your next visit to Sofia you gave us a second chance to experience our hospitality.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Fine hotel located in the very centre of the city. Walking dostance from all attractions, restaurants snd landmarks. Nice and polite staff, service minded too. The interior is a little worn so it is not really what you would expect for a five star hotel.

Stayed: May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you, for sharing your thoughts and positive feelings about the services and hospitality that our employees have extended to you during your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan A Luxury Collection Hotel.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

You would expect from such a hotel with the history and glory of the past for more. The hotel & rooms are simply too old, feel of dust from all the old & heavy furniture, carpets and large curtains. The water is smelly & yellow brown (unlike other hotels in Sofia I visited) and the total feeling is very inconvenient. The mix of the lobby within the restaurant is also very uncomortable. The team was vey nice and helpful - service was good, but in all - I wouldnt return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Eyal T

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your thoughts and your recent experience during your stay with us.

I was very pleased to read about your positive experience with our staff. However, I am very sorry that we have failed to fulfill your expectation about the facilities in our hotel, which are already taken under serious consideration.

We are thankful that you chose to stay with us, and assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed here to attend a conference at the hotel. Beautiful old hotel in need of a bit of attention but very centrally located. Bedroom was just what I needed - spacious, comfy and airy. Overlooked square but not a problem with street noise.
Staff were very friendly, very attentive and helpful. Well equipped gym onsite. Pool was refreshing, but crowded.
Bar prices were steep so not surprising that the bar was normally quiet, but lots of options nearby. Young lady in the hotel lobby promoting a nightclub in the hotel basement.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room was recommended and worked for me.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KevinSm969

Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for your time taken to write such a positive comments regarding your stay at the Sofia Hotel Balkan a Luxury Collection Hotel!

I was very pleased to read that our facilities and members of our staff have fulfilled your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel. Your comments will help us to improve on even more our standards.