“very nice hotel”
Review of Hilton Sofia

Ranked #3 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Very nice hotel to stay in Sofia. Some walking (minimum 15 min) is required to reach historical center, but still recommended.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 June 2011

overall i am satisfied. but a few thinks i didnt like at all. 1) the gym and swimming pool must be a joke. the swimming pool is more like a jakuzi! 2) the cleaning lady, should knock the door 1-2 times, wait and then enter the room. but they just knock once and enter the room without waiting. luckily i was dressed! 3) the tables of hilton's cafe at the entrance (the ones outside) are made of plastic which gives a cheap feel. believe some investment is needed here. 4) many customers complaining about the breakfast, but i think its fine (no complains here) 5) rooms are clean 6) staff is trying to be helpfull

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I was at Hilton Sofia last year and wrote a review about it then. This time the welcome was just as warm, and although there had been some changes of the new people were just as friendly and, in most cases, as well trained. So the hotel still deserves all the praise I heaped on it last year. However, the very few criticisms I had, which the General Manager replied to on this site and said he would address, are still just as valid a year later! My main criticism is of Sofia's version of the Hilton chain's trademark breakfast. Yes, there are nice foods on offer but the cooked breakfast items in the warming pans are so poor: frazzled bacon and undercooked sausages; eggs inedible; potato cakes cold and as hard as bullets; disgusting baked beans! And frankly the quality of the meat products is rather dubious... The preparation of the fresh fruit items is also rather slapdash with enormous pieces of pineapple and **tinned** pears and peaches (how very 1970s) when wonderfully fresh produce is available in the markets closeby. Perhaps Mr Brune could start his day with a Hilton breakfast and see for himself what these products taste like - not haute cuisine from his native France!

The other criticism - which many have also made - is that free internet is reserved only for VIP guests; others have to pay a fortune for it! I was in Sofia with colleagues who all refused to stay at the Hilton because they would have to pay for their internet, whereas they could get it for free in the Radisson, Best Western hotels and I think the Sheraton. So the Hilton is losing business because of its charges: it certainly did while I was there as there were free rooms my colleagues would otherwise have booked. And wifi is available free in so many cafés etc in Sofia that this is starting to make the Hilton very retro.

So, many, many thanks for a great stay; there are so many good things about the hotel, not least its staff, so a little more effort and this could be even better. Mr Brune, please, if you reply to this and offer to look into the criticisms, particularly of breakfast, please live up to your word and let me see a difference next time I'm in town.

PS By the way - I was on the 9th floor and often heard some sort of noise almost like a bird calling and another replying, but not from real birds. I've noticed it before. What is it? (That's why you got 4 out of 5 for sleep quality.)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
jbrune, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post review on the TripAdvisor website.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed for a second time with the breakfast experience at the hotel and would apologise for the fact that you have not yet seen an action to the issues you raised on the previous comment.

In this regards I would ask if you do not mind to give me your e-mail address in order to exchange more information regarding your comments.

On a different token, the food offer in our hotel is made with high quality products, including the selection of fresh fruits for breakfast as well as the cooked dishes on the buffet.
I am very sorry that it was not to your taste.

Further to your Internet comment, I would like to inform you that due to the exclusivity of the local provider company, we are unable to offer free Internet service.
You already know that our company is currently working on its global Internet strategy, part of which is that as of 1 September 2010 Hilton Worldwide introduced free Internet access for all Gold and Diamond Hilton HHonors members.
In addition, we are planning to have free internet access in all our public areas.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and products and it would appear that on this occasion that we failed to meet your expectations.

I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, I will have the opportunity to meet you personally at Hilton Sofia during your next trip to Bulgaria.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

Huge hotel, conventionally located on the edge of the city center overlooking Sofia. Contemporary design big lobby with a nice bar (on some nights with live music). Very friendly and helpful staff.

Rooms are like most Hilton hotels I've stayed in. Practical and designed for the business traveler. Spacious and a large desk to work from but very plain when it comes to decoration. And the bathroom needs an upgrade.

Has a good gym as well and breakfast is one of the best in town. Perfect for a business trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your detailed review, highlighting the pleasant experience you enjoyed at Hilton Sofia. It was great to learn that you remained very happy with our services and facilities.

I would like to inform you that we will take in consideration your recommendation to upgrade the bathroom in our guest rooms.

Looking forward to welcoming you back under our roof.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

This June will be my third stay at the Hilton Sofia. I can be picky about hotels but I cannot complain about Hilton Sofia. Except maybe that the price for their internet service is way too high- from what I remember, they charge 9 EUR for 30 min. of internet usage. No other 5-start hotel I have been to charges so much. The rooms are nice and bright, the bathrooms- comfortable. Breakfast buffet is pretty good. Front desk service is excellent. If you go anywhere else in Bulgaria, you will notice a vast difference in the way Bulgarians and foreigners are treated by the hotel staff. Not at the Hilton Sofia, though- as a former Bulgarian citizen during each of my visits I was treated equally courteous and with a smile- thank you! Looking forward to my stay at the Hilton in June!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
jbrune, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Dear guest,

I am glad that we have made it a stay to remember for you!

I would like to inform you that we are providing Internet through a third party company. Although we are not in the position to amend their pricing, please rest assured that your comment has been communicated to our partner.

Looking forward to welcoming you back under our roof.

Reviewed 29 April 2011

Beautiful hotel - central location. Large atrium on entering hotel. Light and spacious feeling.

Executive room was big. Service was very good and the executive lounge was welcoming - though not overcrowded.

Check in and check out efficient and effortless.

One of the nicest Hilton's I've stayed in. I'm looking forward to returning!

• Stayed: April 2011

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to receive your kind comments. I am proud of the Hilton Sofia team and it is extremely rewarding to hear from a guest that they really make a difference.

It is great that your stay with us was so satisfying and we will be looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on many more visits to come!

Reviewed 21 April 2011

I live in Sofia now and have visited the Hilton many times mainly for business meetings. It has very good facilities and the service is superb.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
jbrune, General Manager at Hilton Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for letting others know of your nice experience at the Hilton Sofia. It was a pleasure for me to read that you remained very happy with the friendliness of our team and our facilities – we will do our best to keep up the good work.

Once again, thank you for your visit and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back under our roof.

Kind regards,