“Fantastic location nice clean hotel with really friendly and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Maria Luisa

Hotel Maria Luisa
Ranked #56 of 130 Hotels in Sofia
Portsmouth
“Fantastic location nice clean hotel with really friendly and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Fantastic location turn right out of hotel walk in a straight line are the cafe's ,shops and restaurants . Turn left again in a straight line and you get to the massive bus station, The airport is 10 levs away. I did change rooms bit that was down to me as I didn't specify non smoking, rooms spotless I did prefer my second room as I had a view of the road, no view in my smoking room infact the windows were blocked out with a White film, so I looked out and saw a really run down grotty house, glad I changed. Breakfast is served until 10:30 it was what you would expect ok, the hotel has some interesting features like the lift and an archway leading to each floor, someone put a lot of thought into it's interior design . You will find most taxi drivers are grumpy and unfriendly smoking and talking on mobiles which we Brits are not used to and even when you tip them they are not happy so don't bother. Also alien is that everyone smokes and as I have experienced most restaurants or cafe's I visited don't cater for non smokers.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

Great location.It is very central and is within walking distance to all the 'sights'.The hotel has character (it was apparently a former brothel) and is extremely well maintained.The staff speak English and are very helpfull.The breakfast was great.So much better than a chain hotel.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter_sue20
italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I had a room very claustrophobic, with no windows! Thus, I asked to change my room and they gave me a very small one, with one window on the back of the building, looking on a very dirty courtyard: perhaps it was better not to see anything at all!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank ItalySilki

Travellers are raving about these Sofia hotels

Atlanta Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

It's not a US chain hotel - it's a small, private hotel in the downtown area. The room and bathroom were very clean, the staff very friendly (and with a basic command of English), centrally located, and very well priced for the quality of the room. If you pay 5 times the price, then certainly you would expect a better room and view. But at the prices this hotel charges, it's a good room.

For those who complained about having no view, you may have been better off without one. My room was streetside - which came to life around 5am with trolleys and loud cars. There isn't much to see out that street anyway.

Although the hotel is downtown and the area doesn't look that great, the locals told me the area is safe, and we never had problems even walking at midnight. We were advised to take the typical precautions one would take in any large city. The hotel is within walking distance to the very central area of Sofia, as well as having a trolly right outside the door.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2008

On reading the reviews complaining about small rooms, I spotted on Hotels.com that booking a suite instead of a single room equated to only $20 more a night, so I booked suite 104A for 4 nights. This was large, with 2 armchairs and a sofa in one lounge room (that had thoughtfully been turned into a bed by the staff who were unsure of numbers in my party on the first night), a bathroom with big jacuzzi style bathtub, and a comfortable double bed in the bedroom. The maid service was brilliant, I even dropped a small bit of paper in an out of the way place to see if they spotted it and they did! Very clean and good value. People seem to expect Western Europe english fluency, friendliness and service from staff in Eastern Europe but the latter was isolated for 70 years under the Soviet era and is still recovering. This will come eventually and the staff here were pretty good and do try hard. Location is perfect. As Bulgarian taxi drivers are still notorious for ripping off foreigners I could avoid them and walk all round the centre from the hotel instead. Incidentally the 3 times I took taxis further afield, including to the airport for 10 Leva, I didn't get ripped off, probably because the bellhop flags them down for you in the street and gives the driver your destination. Breakfast was better than you'd get in Western Europe with their wretched continental breakfasts. Here there were cold meats, scrambled eggs, hot meats, cereals, pastries and fruit. Overall very good, but don't be tight, pay a bit more for a suite and enjoy your stay!
Mike, London

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MigsEarWigs
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2008

My husband and me, we decided to stay at Maria Luisa hotel for our first night after the wedding party! We payed about 70euro to get a flat with NO VIEW and a bed like a rock!I expected more of a 4stars hotel! THe food was old and cold! Was a new experience for me to sleep in a hotel like that! I've been before to 4 stars but this hotel can't be considered as 4 stars! The room service charges us with 3 leva tips when the bill was only 3 leva!Better choose another hotel!

• Liked — the location - the center of Sofia
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank ToTravelIsToBreathe
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

This hotel is fine for a short overnight stay, our room was small with no natural light and therefore a bit stuffy. The hotel is well located in central Sofia and close to all the shopping and eating places. The breakfast was Buffet style and the staff very pleasant and helpful. There is a nice lobby bar and cafe are near the reception. I would use again but only downside was the room size, although I would say they probably have better rooms available just dont stay in room 203.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — size and stuffiness
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple