“Good location, good value, good staff - very happy!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Maria Luisa
Ranked #50 of 130 Hotels in Sofia
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good location, good value, good staff - very happy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

We kicked off our holiday with two nights in Sofia, and when we arrived at Maria Luisa we were glad we did! The building is lovely and has been remodelled on the inside to include a lift, which is a bit of a centre piece.

We arrived at the hotel at around 10am, so our room wasn't quite ready. The friendly receptionist offiered us a drink in the bar whilst we waited, confirming it would be only 30 minutes. We decided to orientate ourselves around instead. We were given a map and some helpful tips on where to start and if we decided to stay out all day where to have lunch.

Our double room was on the third floor and was front facing with a balcony overlooking the main road above the hotel entrance, despite this it was quiet. The room was lovely and very clean - though perhaps a bit too chintzy for my personal taste! There were tea & coffee making facilities, but you had to buy the teabags and coffee sachets - these were not expensive but a negative for us.

Breakfast is buffet style and served in the cafe on the same level as reception. This was plentiful and varied and served until 10:30. During our visit the hotel restaurant was not open due to renovation work - this did not bother us as we prefer to eat anyway.

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay at the Maria Luisa and would definitely go back and would recommend it to anyone who wants a good location, cleanliness, value for money, helpful staff and a good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Rome
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

Phoned the hotel to book - their price was twice the web price so I booked online. On checkout they told me that I had not paid but only reserved - although I had the impression I paid in full. So I insisted on phoning the local bank to issue me a MasterCard confirmation that I am only paying once.

The hotel is extremely conveniently located and should be great for a business traveller - were it not for the somewhat annoying habits of the staff to keep phoning to inquire when the room could be cleaned (despite a DO NOT DISTURB sign). Unbelievably plentiful breakfast - served, not self service.

Hope the hotel polishes up the service. Will want to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HrundiVB
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

The airport is about 15 minutes from the hotel. The taxi stand has honest hosts and did not overcharge me. Arrived at the hotel to a friendly staff. The bellboy came over immediately and helped me with my luggage. The reception was very friendly. They offered me a room of my choice. The building is exquisite from the turn of the last century. Interior is well maintained and gives you a feeling of another era. The coffee/cake shop is great to sit and relax and take your mind away. The rooms have ornate beds and are comfortable, the fixtures in the room are a little iffy, too much pressure and the shelves could fall. The bathroom is small but comfortable. I had a view of the city from my window. The restaurant in the basement had very good breakfast.

Most of the shopping district, the monuments, the Russian church, the Alexander Nevsky cathedral are all walkable. The underground train station is easily accessible from the hotel a few blocks away. The location is perfect.

Get a taxi and make sure you visit the Boyana Church about 30 minutes away and also the Archaeological Museum close to it. Make sure you negotiate a good price for taking you there and waiting for you. (About $25.00).

I would definitely return to Sofia and stay in this great hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank LotusPrins
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Fantastic location turn right out of hotel walk in a straight line are the cafe's ,shops and restaurants . Turn left again in a straight line and you get to the massive bus station, The airport is 10 levs away. I did change rooms bit that was down to me as I didn't specify non smoking, rooms spotless I did prefer my second room as I had a view of the road, no view in my smoking room infact the windows were blocked out with a White film, so I looked out and saw a really run down grotty house, glad I changed. Breakfast is served until 10:30 it was what you would expect ok, the hotel has some interesting features like the lift and an archway leading to each floor, someone put a lot of thought into it's interior design . You will find most taxi drivers are grumpy and unfriendly smoking and talking on mobiles which we Brits are not used to and even when you tip them they are not happy so don't bother. Also alien is that everyone smokes and as I have experienced most restaurants or cafe's I visited don't cater for non smokers.

• Stayed May 2011
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

Great location.It is very central and is within walking distance to all the 'sights'.The hotel has character (it was apparently a former brothel) and is extremely well maintained.The staff speak English and are very helpfull.The breakfast was great.So much better than a chain hotel.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter_sue20
italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I had a room very claustrophobic, with no windows! Thus, I asked to change my room and they gave me a very small one, with one window on the back of the building, looking on a very dirty courtyard: perhaps it was better not to see anything at all!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ItalySilki

Travellers are raving about these Sofia hotels

Atlanta Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

It's not a US chain hotel - it's a small, private hotel in the downtown area. The room and bathroom were very clean, the staff very friendly (and with a basic command of English), centrally located, and very well priced for the quality of the room. If you pay 5 times the price, then certainly you would expect a better room and view. But at the prices this hotel charges, it's a good room.

For those who complained about having no view, you may have been better off without one. My room was streetside - which came to life around 5am with trolleys and loud cars. There isn't much to see out that street anyway.

Although the hotel is downtown and the area doesn't look that great, the locals told me the area is safe, and we never had problems even walking at midnight. We were advised to take the typical precautions one would take in any large city. The hotel is within walking distance to the very central area of Sofia, as well as having a trolly right outside the door.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business