“Amazing quality and service”

Radisson Blu Grand Hotel Sofia
Ranked #16 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel in Sofia from March the 15th to March the 18th. Immediately at my arrival at Sofia Airport, I was greeted by the person in charge of my transfer to the hotel, who was very friendly and professional. At the hotel, I was astonished at the extremely high quality of every single detail: from the professionality of the Staff to the cleanliness of halls and rooms.

I have stayed in 5 stars hotels before, especially in Italy, but they always had something out of place: in certain areas they excelled, but lacked in others (I would find a more than satisfying breakfast, but an extremely small room, or viceversa). I was very pleased to find out that the Radisson Gran Blu Hotel excelled in every area, sometimes exceeding even my greatest expectations.

The room was very spacious, with lots of amenities and services, including HD TV and high-speed, free Wi-Fi (this is a common occurrence in Bulgaria, something we Italians should learn from). Cleaning service was very discreet and quick. It was also possible to order breakfast and other meals in the room, with little to no extra charge.

My stay included breakfast in the price: it was served in the adjoining Zig Zag Brasserie, that also doubled as a restaurant during lunch and dinner time. The quality and amount of food available for breakfast was absolutely great, and it also included local products (conveniently labeled), something that is becoming more and more difficult to see and that was greatly appreciated by me as it helps nourishing the knowledge of local gastronomy and culture. Also the Zig Zag Brasserie's staff was very professional and helpful.

In conclusion, my experience here was nothing less than perfect in each and every way. I had come to Sofia with mixed expectations (due to my reading contrasting articles about the city and its services), but I am pleased to say that this was a fantastic journey, and that I will always consider the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel as my first Hotel choice when travelling here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Kiril R, Manager at Radisson Blu Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear Samuele V,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel Sofia and for taking the time to share your feedback via TripAdvisor.
It is really nice to read that a guest has had an amazing stay in our hotel. It shows that our constant strive to improve and develop has not been unnoticed.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back at our hotel when you return to the city of Sofia.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst on business in Sofia.

First the plus points:

Lovely looking hotel, nice receiption, friendly welcome, quick check-in. Rooms were nice and clean, with newish furniture - a bit small but for the price I couldn't complain. Incidentally, the room had a view of the moutain range that surrounds Sofia.

My other usual check-points scored well:
Free Wifi: CHECK!
Free gym: CHECK!
Real orange juice: CHECK!
Light near bed to turn off ALL lights in room: CHECK!

So far so good for the Radisson Blu. However, one thing really got me frustrated / angry / impatient.

For some reason, the hotel pipe music through speakers in the corridors - or at least on the 5th floor. One of these speakers was positioned on the ceiling right outside my room door.

Now this is all well and good - but at 01:00 in the morning? And at a volume loud enough to make it perfectly audible in my room? I have no degree in tourism, hotel management or similar, but I do know that hotel rooms and loud music in the early hours of the morning do not mix well - at least they don't if you want to get positive reports on industry-related internet sites.

It took 5 phone calls and about 1 hour to get it fixed. I started off asking politely. By the 5th phone call, I had grown tired of the 'we're looking into it' response and insisted to the young lady that surely it can't take one hour to simply turn down the volume on a music system. Sure enough, within 5 mins the music was gone.

Its a shame that this report has turned sour - but it gets me angry when I travel somewhere, arrive late, have to get up early in the morning but can't get my sleep cos of silly things like this. The hotel is very good and the staff were all very polite so on another day, I would have given this hotel a 5 star rating -don't let this report put you off.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Daveskii

Dear Daveskii,

Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies for the misfortunate situation with the loud music in the corridor during your stay with us. It was caused by a technical failure that was taken care of quite promptly. However it happened during the night and had an impact on our guests' sleep that night.
I would like also to thank you for the nice words abotut the rest of the facilites and services that you used.
I do hope to welcome you back again at the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel Sofia when your travel plans bring you back into the area.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

II stayed in this hotel during business trip twice in January, now I am heading back to BG another week and I will be staying in here again. The hotel has excellent location to walk around and get to go sightseeing without a problem. All main attractions Sofia has to offer are at a walking distance and even the free sofia walk tour getting started every day at 11am from a few blocks away. there are some very good restaurants around at a very reasonable (cheapp!!!) price to eat and have some drinks (Victoria, Happy) and there are some local ones that are more expensive but you can try local stuff and its cool. Also the hotel in case it's been booked with breakfast has to offer lots of things and all is fresh, tasty and looks incredible.
I also would like to highlight the professionalism, kindness and "smily" attitude from the team at the reception and around the different hotel areas. they were very attentive to my needs and questions and also offered free upgrade on my second stay to enjoy front view and larger room. The beds and bedding were VERY comfortable in all rooms and hotel stays in shape. it is not the most up to date one and there are some signs of use in the rooms (light keys faded, carpeting a bit old frayed). Also Internet speed was good and TV software was complete and had many options. I look forward to staying here once again and recommend it to anyone visiting the city if you are looking for strategic locations, service and comfort at a reasonable price. Visitors watch out when taking a cab, always ask how much it will be the ride in advance, taxis in BG are very cheap and if font ask they don't go by the meter and may charge 3 to 4 times the regular fare.

Cons: AC was a bit noisy, other than this i don't have any other suggestion

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicolas C
Kiril R, Manager at Radisson Blu Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear nico c,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Grand Hotel Sofia and for sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor.

Our aim is to provide excellent service to all our guests and your nice words have come to prove that we manage and we will continue to strive and deliver the unbeatable service.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when your travel plans bring you back in the area.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

The reception was efficient, the room was clean, the staff friendly and helpful but should you choose this hotel demand a room facing the rear. The view from a front facing room is lovely what is unpleasant is the light pollution and the noise created early each morning by drunken patrons emerging from the adjacent night clubs. While the hotel has no control over what happens in the street I'd strongly suggest you bring ear plugs. If a rear facing room isn't available you'll need them. I was very glad I had a pair.

This is my second visit to this hotel. It was better than the one in September now that the rennovations are done. The breakfast buffet was good and you can order other egg dishes from the servers. For dinner the Zig Zag restauarant is a little pricey for what you receive. Room service was better. There are better dining options in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid a front facing room.
1  Thank Pjr P

Dear Pjr P,

I am glad to see that you had a better second stay with us and you really enjoyed the breakfast and the room service. We highly appreciate your comments and I would like to assure you that we will do our best to remedy the situation with the noise.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Stayed here on business and was not disappointed. We arrived late, reception was polite and quick with our check-in. They equally ensured that the restaurant was still open to serve us a late dinner.

As for the room, it was big, clean and comfortable.

On thing to note is that the hotel is infront of Bulgaria's national parliament.

A must for future visits.

Dear twofourseven,

We highly appreciate your nice comments and please stay assured that they will be shared with the staff.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

It is a Radisson
Central Sofia, walking distance from many restaurants, an excellent fit for the business traveler or the tourist one due to proximity to cultural places
Clean Hotel, courteous staff, modern style
Prices in the other 5* hotel range

Room Tip: If you value a quiet time ask for a room which is not on the nightclub side

Dear AlexKayv,

We highly appreciated your nice comments and I want to assure you that we will continue to strive and provide the best service and product.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Very conveniantly located in the center of Sofia. Rooms are spacious and rather silent. mine was facing the Parlement square and Sofia's main church

This was my 3rd stay at this venue. I booked it just 4 hours before flying into Sofia. The hotel seems to be going thru a renovation (a bit needed, though the hotel is well maintained, you can see that here and there that it starts to be a bit tired, but nothing dramatic as maintenance team is doing his job; I had some experiences in Sofia with other 5* that didnt deserves their rating) the lobby is now completely refresh and well decorated. The service is excellent, friendly and swift, from check in to check out thru room service. I was given a 14:30 late check out very easily. Bathroom was excellent, with both tub and shower, finely designed and no tear and wear seen there, Room extremely spacious by todays standard. The Radisson sofia remains by far the best hotel in Sofia, and once it will go thru a complete renovation it will simply outpace all the competitors, lets just hope they ll keep a realistic pricing policy after they complete it.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, dont face the main square, but the rooms viewing the square are really wor...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear FFM9,

Our aim is to provide excellent service to all our guests and your nice words have come to prove that we manage. The renovation process that has started last year has now moved to the Mezzanine level and has been slowly approaching the rooms as well.