“Not impressed”

Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel
Ranked #28 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I booked my accommodation on the phone and the rate I was given initially was nearly double than one you can easily find online. Upon arrival the door staff was kind and welcoming but before that would watch you struggle with the parking from inside the hotel... The receptionist was nice, however my check-in was interrupted by a phone call which seemed to be with much higher priority than my time. What I got after being asked to pay in adance was a odd-structured and super terribly smelling room on the 6th floor, half of which was practicly inadmisable as the ceiling was so low that we had to crawl to open the window for some fresh air. So, unless you are a midget or a small child, avoid this room or you'd end up on your knees while making your coffee. The Bathroom, on the other hand was beautifully designed, clean, well set with toiletries and towels, the water pressure was perfect! The breakfast: I must admit that I only managed to show up for breakfast 4 minutes after the closing time and was awarded with chilling looks, advised to "hurry up and be quick", then left completely unattended throughout the whole 15 minutes of my breakfast, and of course, my request for a cup of coffee was ignored by the 2 young ladies, cleaning the breakfast room while I was eating. Upon check out we were serviced by Mr. Pavel (if I'm not mistaken) and he really knew how to please the guest by being accurate, attentife and efficient. The overall rating is 3/5 just because the couple of young gentlemen at the Front desk wo really knew what they were doing!
In conclusion, I regret to say that I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are a demanding guest. It's quite a let down from the standards, expected by booking a member of this brand.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has standard height ceiling.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ZhivkoZhelyazkov, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Mr.Kolev,

First of all let me take the opportunity to thank you for the interest showed toward BEST WESTERN PLUS Bristol Hotel and your decision to be our guest!
I really appreciate that you have clearly stated your comments and accurate observations because it had given us the necessary information needed to respond to your criteria.I understand that our hotel atmosphere, service and staff attitude didn’t satisfy your requirements and didn’t correspond to your expectations at all. For us your feedback is very valuable because it helps to improve our level of standard. That’s why I’m grateful for bringing our attention to your experience and really sorry for your disappointment.
I’d like to explain there are completely new employees at the restaurant, but of course this doesn’t mean I support this wrong act and I can assure you the appropriate measures regard to their training will be taken. Your issue has been addressed with our Management and your remarks about the service and attitude of the staff at reception and restaurant have been taken into consideration. I'm glad for your good impressions of service during your check-out time.

Once again thank you for staying with us.
I’m looking forward to welcoming you again at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bristol Hotel!

Zhivko Zhelyazkov,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Excellent hotel. Good service and nice and clean rooms. When we had an early morning departure from Sofia airport, the hotel made a small breakfast for us. Delicate bathrooms and comfortable beds. Location was good as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andreas G
Gergana P, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Andreas,
Thank you very much for your excellent review at TripAdvisor.The main aim of our management is to respond to all guests requirements and for us your high rating means you enjoyed totally our amenities and services. I really appreciate that you liked the room facilities and it will be my pleasure to welcome you back as our gueast.
Kind regards

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 6 days this August 2013. The breakfast buffet was good and the room was clean and organised. The staff are friendly, all speak in good english and always offers a smile. The only downside for the whole stay is that the air conditioning of the room where i stayed was not working. I was told from the first day that they will fixed it but up until the last day it still didn't work. I probably will still give it a try the next time i visit.. as it is somewhat in good location within the city. A short walk to the Metro and Happy Grill Restaurant in which i love the foods.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JerryD5

Dear Jerry,
Thank you for taking time to reveal your opinion. For us your feedback is very valuable because it helps to improve our level of services.For me it’s a real pleasure to read your positive impressions about the cleanness and the wonderful work from all the staff, because our team strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as possible. Also I am happy to know that you enjoyed the brakfast as well.
Please, receive my apologies concerning to the problem with the air conditioning but there was a period with tthe system and it was not possible to fix it during your stay.
We are delighted to welcome you back to Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is certainly a hotel to recommend, with very friendly, helpful and understanding staff. The room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed. Perfect value for money at a location not too far from the city centre, i.e. still walking distance without any trouble in getting around.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Thomas M,
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with the readers of TripAdvisor.
for me it is a real pleasure to read your positive impressions about the friendly and helpful staff, cleanness rooma, value of money and the location as well.
I surely hope to see you again on your next visit to Sofia!
Kind regards

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Good hotel in a very nice city. Good value for money. Central location, off Pirotska Street.

Friendly and helpful staff and bellboys at front desk. Nice room with a firm bed, easy-to-operate air-conditioning, excellent TV with 100+ channels, free safe and a spacious bathroom.
Small minus: not a lot of storage space for clothes etc.

Good breakfast with enough choice. Bacon & eggs and coffee however could at times have been hotter. On Sunday, the breakfast was of a lesser quality and came across as prepared the day before.
Breakfast waitresses were both very kind and welcoming.

One small reservation, of minor importance: the plastic strip underneath the shower door came loose and caused flooding after showering the first morning. Reported this to the front desk and later in the day we were told everything was sorted. However, it repeatedly became loose again and we had to clip in the plastic strip ourselves whenever we went for a shower. Clearly a design fault, rather than the hotel's.

We would very much recommend the hotel and we hope to return there ourselves.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JLIBKB
ZhivkoZhelyazkov, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at BEST WESTERN PLUS Bristol Hotel.
I’m very happy that our friendly and efficient staff has succeeded to meet your expectations. For me it’s a real pleasure to read your positive comments about the excellent facilities, perfect property location, room’s atmosphere and breakfast quality.The main aim of our management is to respond to all guests requirements and for us your high rating means you enjoyed totally our amenities and services. Please accept my apologies concerning to happened inconvenience with plastic strip underneath the shower door and your impressions on Sunday breakfast. I’m grateful for bringing our attention to your experience and I can assure you your remarks will be taken into consideration.

Zhivko Zhelyazkov

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We honestly did not know what to expect of our trip to Sofia, Bulgaria, but were pleasantly surprised by our stay at the Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel during our city stay. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the most professional and friendly front desk clerk (Tscetzy...I hope I spelled it correctly) who made us feel extremely welcomed. The bell boys were also professional and very kind. We were immensely impressed with our room. Not only was their relaxing music playing when we entered, but the room was newly renovated and had double pane glass to keep the noise of the streets on the street. With the sounds of the city and the tram running on the streets below the hotel, we were impressed with the quality of noise control and loved the décor of the room. Breakfast was also fantastic and included a large variety of options. The hotel is not located in the main tourist area, so expect a local Bulgarian street and don't be too judgmental as it is situated only a 15 minute walk from all the main attractions downtown. In addition, the front desk helped us rent a car with car delivery right to the hotel. Wow! I highly recommend staying here if you like quality for a great price with a fantastic hotel staff. You will have a good experience!

Room Tip: The hotel rooms on the street have double pane glass which blocks out most of the noise from the str...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori_LouE
ZhivkoZhelyazkov, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bristol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear guest,

The main goal of our management team is to offer consistently superior service and accommodations that’s why it’s a truly honor when our valued guests notice our efforts. It’s a real pleasure and I’m very proud to read your positive feelings and impressions about the perfect location, fantastic service and breakfast and comfort facilities in our hotel. It is extremely rewarding to hear from a guest.
Such superlative comments further motivate us to maintain the high level of standard and I’m really happy that our friendly and efficient staff has succeeded to meet and exceed your expectations.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We hope in future we will have the chance to welcome you in the hotel more often!

Zhivko Zhelyazkov,

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on business. Very friendly and helpful staff - we were delayed on the night of our arrival and they kept the kitchen open until we got there - you can't fault that level of service! The rooms look newly decorated, they are a bit dark for my taste but that is just a personal thing. Bathroom was modern. Everything was clean. The road is quite busy outside and with trams so if you are the sort of person who sleeps with the window open go for a room at the back. If you are happy to keep it closed, don't worry - the double glazing is amazing and you don't hear much at all. We met the manager and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about Bulgarian wines and gave us a few tips for our stay. (Bulgarian wines are brilliant BTW - if you are from the UK and only know the country for the cheap stuff that was once sold here you are in for a treat). Fast, free wifi.
Its a shame that....they don't make more of the outside courtyard which could be a good feature
Best bit...friendly people
In a word, or two......doing a grand job

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review posted on Tripadvisor.I am delighted regard to your positive comments you have written for our property. The main aim of the management team of BEST WESTERN PLUS Bristol Hotel is to respond to all guests requirements and for us your high rating means you enjoyed totally our amenities and services. The high grade you have given concerning to attitude and experience of all hotel staff is a truly honor.Once again thank you for your accurate observation concerning to double glazing windows in the room and your superlatives regard to Bulgarian wine.
I surely hope you will recommend our hotel and I will be very glad if you decide to be our guests again on your next visit to Sofia!

Zhivko Zhelyazkov