“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #7 of 130 Hotels in Sofia
Washington, DC
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Sofia in November 2013. I read the reviews before traveling and all the bad things I read about the hotel I did not see when I stayed. The staff was very nice and attentive. They helped with everything from getting me a power adapter to giving me recommendations on where to eat and places to see. The other reviews I read about the staff being more concerned about their smart phones and not greeting the customers were completely wrong.
The rooms were HUGE and gave me the room I needed to get my work done. The breakfast at the restaurant was wonderful and the staff at the restaurant made me realize why this is a 5 star hotel.
The hotel is located in a part of the city where one felt safe to be able to walk around at night without the fear of being mugged or robbed. I cannot say that for the other countries I have visited. Places where you could not walk past the corner of the hotel without feeling threatened.
I would like to give a special thanks to Irenia who works at the front desk, who took the time to show me around a little after she got off work. That was a very nice thing to do and I learned a lot about the beautiful city of Sofia.
All in all, I would stay at this hotel again and may be the only hotel I would stay at in Sofia.
Thank you for the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 7th floor or higher. You will have a nice view of the city and mountains.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this wonderful review.
It was a real pleasure reading it. Our service team is grateful for the kind recognition.

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel. We are thrilled that we have come to your level of expectations and even exceeded it.
You are a valued patron of our hotel and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.
Wish you a great and successful 2014.
Grand Hotel Sofia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Just came back from 4 nights at the Grand Hotel, Sofia.
The hotel is right on the city center, within a walking distance to main attractions, shopping etc.
The staff is extremely helpful, service is excellent. Room is cleaned twice a day. The rooms are HUGE! and very comfortable.
The buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner are somewhat disappointing...
With such a splendid hotel one could expect more imagination from the hotel's chef...
However, I will happily recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us and for choosing Grand Hotel Sofia. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our amenities and, above all, that the service has met your expectations.
Please take time up on your next visit to contact me directly and we can discuss any cuisine suggestions and preferences you may have. We would gladly prepare something special that will suite your taste.
Happy Holidays from all of us.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

At the heart of Sofia and a few minutes walking from the must see. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Had a nice view from room 611 (single room). Gym and spa available (unfortunately had not time). Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LuisGVA
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear valued guest,
Naturally, we would love to be at your service again in the future and hope that your travel plans will take you back to Bulgaria.

Sofia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

12 nights at the Grand hotel. Great place to stay although I would advise personell to smile a bit more. Makes you feel more comfortable especially when you have to stay 12 days. Rooms are great and clean. Would like to see more choices in the In-room dining menu. There's enough to see/shop in the area where the Grand is located.
mr. Nelwan

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank leslienelwan
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor readers. The guest feedback is the best way for us to rate the quality of the services that we provide. Thank you for helping us in our ongoing efforts to achieve excellence. Your notes have been taken into consideration.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Sofia and our hotel.

toronto, canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Fantastic location and excellent room. The size of the room was spectacular. The furniture and decor were ok, a bit dated, but very clean and upscale.
The personnel is not very well trained, for example they would avoid eye contact and would not greet the guests, even if they have seen them repeatedly, numerous times per day. It could be a cultural issue, but for a 5 star hotel, I would expect the personnel to be trained a bit better. They were helpful if asked questions, however.
The gym is inadequate. It's a small room in the basement with no window and hardly any ventilation. There are a couple of machines, but I wouldn't call it a fitness centre. If there are more than two people working out, it would be a problem. Also it's hard to access it, you need to take a separate elevator which is slow and very tiny.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel.
We would also like to thank you for the valuable feedback you shared with us, because it all will help us in our ongoing efforts to meet guests’ expectations.
The small size of the fitness area we try to compensate with all the other facilities in the SPA center including Jacuzzi, sauna and steam bath. Many of our guests take the time to indulge in different body treatments and all of them share their positive experience.
We hope it will not be long before we welcome you again as guests of the Grand Hotel Sofia. I can guarantee you that my colleagues will make sure that it would be a worthwhile experience for you.

Best Regards

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I liked the very big room and bath, the Location, The cafe in the garden, the view from the room in 7th floor. I was upgraded to a better floor, so cannot say about a normal room. The breakfast is good. Staff are friendly, except some in the reception.

There is no Iron in the room or an Iron room in the floor (I saw lot's of guest complain about that). Gym is small and close early, No pool.

Room Tip: Try to get upgrade to higher floor so the view will be nice...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as a good hotel.
Please, accept our apologies if the service did not meet your expectations all the time.
We do not have iron and ironing board in the rooms for safety reasons, but we do provide laundry and ironing service from very early in the morning until late at night.

Graz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Me and my girlfriend we stayed for three nights during a weekend at the Grand Hotel Sofia.
The rooms are, as mentioned before by others guests, enourmous. The bed was comfortable and the furniture in a good shape. The only problem is that due to the size of the room, the TV is a little bit far away from the bed. If you have bad eyesight you wont have mutch fun watching. But this was not important to us, we weren't there to watch TV.
The Bathroom was really great. Everything in green marble, a big sized shower and a big bathtub. Everything was clean and looked pretty new. The ammendities were restored every day. Room service on the whole was perfect, you get your bed ready for the night with a little present and a cart with the weather forecast. We also got an information letter because of the time change that happened during our stay.
The breakfast was also very good, I got everything i wanted. One problem occured on Sunday, because there were a lot of guests, much more than the other days. So the breakfast room was completely full as we got there, but no one frome the staff tried to help us. So we got back to our room and tried it 15 minutes later, when we got a table. It would have been nicer if someone would have talked to us, how long it will take to get a table or where to wait etc. But the staff seemed very stressed, I think they did not expected this rush.
In my opinion the Hotel was very good, the overall experience was great. I would definetely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luckypete12
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are more than thrilled that our facilities and services exceeded your expectations. Welcoming guests is more of an art than just a business for us, thus paying attention to the details is of great importance. We are delighted that our efforts have been noticed.

We really hope that you will find reasons to come back to Sofia and I would like to assure you that my colleagues will make it another worthwhile experience for you.